BMW R1200R Forum banner

Looking for Luggage Solution..

1K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  PJensen7702 
#1 ·
Hi All

I'm looking for a luggage solution for a 2011 Classic.. preferably top box and panniers but top box is a priority because my pillion likes something behind her when riding. :rolleyes:

I have lots of givi luggage so used or new givi stuff would be good but open to suggestions. I don't mind used, even if it looks a little worse for wear, I can always spruce it up before fitting.. 👍

Cheers in advance for any help, tips or advice..

windy

#2 ·
Your BMW dealer can order the factory panniers and top case, complete with locks that match your ignition key. The cases are made by Shad and are good quality and warrantied through BMW.

I’ve got a set that I never use sitting in my basement. I’d let you have them if you were local.

#3 ·
LR, cheers for the reply. I'm hoping for something a little less bulky than the BMW stuff. I quite like the Hepco and Becker C-bow system with street bags.. :) and unfortunately, I am not local, or I may have considered you BMW stuff.. :confused:

#5 ·
No, if I have to pack and ship them, I might as well sell them. You’ll be able to buy a new set from BMW at 20% off when they go on sale in November (“Black Friday”). You’d be better off with that deal.

Also, Bob’s Motorcycle (aka Bob’s BMW) in Maryland frequently has 20% off sales on BMW accessories, including free shipping (though I’m not sure about shipping to Canada).

#7 ·
Givi has discontinued most of the products for the Hex & Cam head models, a quick check shows that the only item listed for hard bag mounting is the 688FZ top case mount for 2006 - 2010 R12R's. Since the mounting points for the side bag mounts are the same on the 2006 -2014 R12R's the 688FZ could be used on the 2011 - 2014 models, but it would require removing the factory grab handle and replacing the rear cover with the 2006 - 2010 style cover on the 2011 - 2014 models. Additionally the 688FX would prevent the fitment of factory side bags/mounts because they use the same mounting points. Givi no longer offers any side case mounts for 2006 - 2014 R12R's, but I would think that soft side bags could be adapted to work with the 688FZ mounting system.

#8 ·
Hi All

I'm looking for a luggage solution for a 2011 Classic.. preferably top box and panniers but top box is a priority because my pillion likes something behind her when riding. :rolleyes:

I have lots of givi luggage so used or new givi stuff would be good but open to suggestions. I don't mind used, even if it looks a little worse for wear, I can always spruce it up before fitting.. 👍

Cheers in advance for any help, tips or advice..

windy
This is not going to be helpful, but here goes anyway. You may have a problem if you want to fit Givi side cases. Maybe a used top box Givi frame fitting will be on ebay or somewhere?

I have been through part of this scenario four years ago. For my 2011 R1200R Classic. It came with a Givi top box and mount, but the Givi side frames for the Givi side boxes were no longer made and I searched many suppliers around the UK and Europe too. It was very painful and time consuming.

Eventually I found a Givi frame (last one !) for my new Givi V35 side cases at Fortnine in Canada. Shipping back to UK was a done through a Canadian shipping agent as FN will not ship direct outside Canada. Then there was taxes and duties on arrival in the UK. All very expensive.

There may be non-Givi side frames and cases still available. Just the usual www searches needed.

Good luck.

#10 ·
It is unfortunate that Givi has stopped making the PLXR 5100 V35 side case brackets for the 2011 - 2014 models it was a really nice system with the case holder brackets using quick release attachments to the mounting points on the bike. With the case brackets removed the bike has a clean look with minimal brackets on the bike, when the side cases are needed all it takes is slipping the brackets into the mounts and locking the 5 quick connects (2 each side and 1 to connect the brackets together) and the case mounts are ready to go. The V35 side case styling does look good with the styling of the bike, in addition to being a smaller and more compact than the factory side cases.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.