BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tried searching, and ZERO hits. Is that possible that nobody has talked about bike covers? Most search engines on forum servers are crap, and I think that's probably the case here, but wanted to try before I get chastised by Panzermann:ROFLMAO:.

Anyway, just like the title says, I spent enough in 2 days on this stupid bike (over $2,500), so need to tone it down a little. Ha ha. And still need to buy a trailer, and other crap. But still want something that fits relatively well (rather than flopping all over the floor, etc), and it's of good quality, so I only have to buy one. Inside the garage it should last my ownership of the bike, whatever that is. With the jugs sticking out that much, it might have to be something made for R bikes, I'd assume. Otherwise, we'd end up with an XL cover, flopping all over, and I don't want that. So let's see what you've got :). Thank you.
JC

·
Registered
651 Posts
No such animal exists, but best bet would be the Cycle Gear house brand, and you don't need to worry about the extra width. One member here made his own dust cover, if you are willing to put a little effort into it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One member here made his own dust cover, if you are willing to put a little effort into it.
Oh no; I'm not that good. Ha ha. So no R bike covers, huh? Oh well. Will just buy something then. Hopefully somebody with the CycleGear one will post a photo. But will check them out tomorrow. It's not a big deal, but if it's floppy, I'd have to cinch it down, so my wife's Tesla tells her to 'stop' where it does now (it only has sensors, since no grille), so it can clear the garage door. I don't want her to move more forward after 'stop', since she could hit the bike. There are about 8" of clearance, at that point.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Spouse got me a BMW (OEM) cover a while back, really like it, covers the r1200r + 2 Shad-37 side cases and also has a transparent portion for the license-plate, it is a few years old now so not sure about cost nowadays, similar to this one

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. Forgot about Bob's place. Searched for R1250R, and found all of these: Bike Covers for R1250R | Bob's BMW . But it says that also fit the F800, so definitely not an R-specific cover. Yours is like the second from the left, which is probably the best. The third looks interesting too, but not available for our bikes anymore. And the last 2 look like Dowco Guardians, but the bikes under them are not Rs. If I don't find anything better and cheaper, I'd get the $139 from Bob's. Thanks again for that great help :).

·
Registered
39 Posts
Tried searching, and ZERO hits. Is that possible that nobody has talked about bike covers? Most search engines on forum servers are crap, and I think that's probably the case here, but wanted to try before I get chastised by Panzermann:ROFLMAO:.

Anyway, just like the title says, I spent enough in 2 days on this stupid bike (over $2,500), so need to tone it down a little. Ha ha. And still need to buy a trailer, and other crap. But still want something that fits relatively well (rather than flopping all over the floor, etc), and it's of good quality, so I only have to buy one. Inside the garage it should last my ownership of the bike, whatever that is. With the jugs sticking out that much, it might have to be something made for R bikes, I'd assume. Otherwise, we'd end up with an XL cover, flopping all over, and I don't want that. So let's see what you've got :). Thank you.
JC
I'm using an Oxford 'Dormex' on my 2016, which should fit much the same on your 2020.
It's light, repels water to very limited extent, and most of all its cheap, $30 - $40 AUD ( I paid $34.95). Oxford Link

Just snapped a couple of quick pics, currently with OEM sport screen fitted and BMW soft bag on the rack. As you can see, with the bag removed it will cover all of the rear wheel, but doesn't quite make it with the bag in-situ. The cover comes in a few sizes, mine's MEDIUM.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Sleeve
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
124 Posts
Dowco guardian weatherall, size large. Without cases it goes quite close to the ground for good coverage (see photo). Can just stretch it on with both factory top an side cases mounted. Dowco makes other lighter covers as well. Great warranty - Dowco recently replaced the cover when exposure deteriorated it (they have since stopped making covers with the reflective and heat resistant lower band of fabric, which is the portion that started tearing).

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Plant Road surface

·
Registered
386 Posts
The BMW all weather is overkill for a indoor cover. Something like a Nelson-Riggs cover will last for years indoors and is cheap.
If you want to get fancy look at Geza cover.
These can be custom fit and use a stretchy material. Yoga pants for you bike :)

Reactions: MGL

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Indoors? Inexpensive bed sheet.
Come on man; you want your $20K motorcycle under a bed sheet? Ha ha. J/K, of course. Not a bad idea, but I need something that fits tight, and it's easy to put on, since the bike is buried in the front right corner of the garage, and my wife's car would have to detect the cover right against the bike, or the door wouldn't close. When her Tesla says 'stop', it's just perfect now.

The BMW all weather is overkill for a indoor cover. Something like a Nelson-Riggs cover will last for years indoors and is cheap.
Yeah, I'm going to look into those later today. And I wouldn't go any more 'custom' than the BMW cover for $135... but it's not even a model specific cover, since it's also listed for the F900, so why pay more for a generic size than you have to, right? So need to look for a LARGE size cover for our bike, due to the long wheelbase, and protruding jugs, correct? Mine doesn't have any bags or windscreen, and I won't store it with the tail-bag installed, so the smallest possible size that is not too tight would be perfect. Thank you.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Come on man; you want your $20K motorcycle under a bed sheet? Ha ha. J/K, of course. Not a bad idea, but I need something that fits tight, and it's easy to put on, since the bike is buried in the front right corner of the garage, and my wife's car would have to detect the cover right against the bike, or the door wouldn't close. When her Tesla says 'stop', it's just perfect now.
They sell fitted sheets. Do I have to think of everything? ;)

Reactions: FidalgoRob

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I want a proper cover, and they're cheap enough that I don't have to even think about that option. Ha ha. Here are my 2 finalists, so you guys can comment on them:

I think I already owned the 2nd one (not absolutely sure though), and wasn't impressed by the material, which didn't feel nice for the paint; just thin nylon. The first one is cheaper, but supposedly of a nicer material than the Dowco. So what do you guys think? By the way, we need size M for our bike (90" long, and our bike is 84), at least stock, like mine. With side cases and top trunk, then maybe L. Thank you.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I used the Oxford Dormex on my R1200R LC for 3 years and liked it. The material is quite good and can be washed easily in a machine. Size medium with no top box/panniers

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Excellent. I'm going with that one then. Going to order it right now. Thank you very much for your input.

·
Registered
191 Posts
If you have panniers/top box you will need something bigger than medium, I think.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As I mentioned before, I don't, and don't plan to. A top box, absolutely never. Ha ha. Side cases is possible, but I'd have to park the bike in the garage without them anyway, so not an issue for the cover. Plus I need it relatively tight, so M it is for me :).

·
Registered
2012 R1200R, K27, Light-grey Metallic
50 Posts
I think it is a pity to hide a beautiful bike under a cover if it is indoors in your garage...
I like watching and touching it whenever I pass it underway to the loo ;)
Also people tend to be more careful if they can see what they might be damaging.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, but yours has telelever. Ha ha. The issue here it's super dusty most of the time, so after months of not using it, it'd look uglier with all the dust than with a cover :).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts