BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
2019 triumph speed twin
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all, Seattle checking in, I’m looking at getting back into the boxer game, currently ride a ‘19 Triumph speed twin.
I had a ‘19 GS 1250 HP and then recently a ‘22 GS 1250 ( RIP). I really miss the 1250 motor and BMW refinement but the GS was always more than I needed. I don’t tour much, don’t ride off road much. So when she was totaled, I opted to just keep the money and be a solo bike man. I’ve never ridden an “R” but I love naked bikes, thinking it might be the ticket. My heart misses the BMW. The triumph is rough but enduring, I find though that even after tuning and adjustment, I just can’t ride it as aggressive as my GS.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

Wheel Sky Tire Fuel tank Vehicle

Water Sky Tire Wheel Cloud

· Registered
2012 R1200R
186 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I LOVE Speed Twins, and white with gold rims is my favorite color combo on the GS.

· Registered
2019 triumph speed twin
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome... i too had Gs and GSA for 20 years and now ride a 2012 R and its a beautiful bike to ride. I had a 900 Thruxton up until recently too which was a hoot!!
The thruxton is really what led to my moto views preferences today! I bought a 1200 R when it first came out. Never before had I experienced speed, quality and refinement in one bike. The ergos and lack of panniers finally did me in but then the speed twin came out and solved my need for a triumph!

I’m just ruminating over if the speed twin and a 1250 R would be too similar to have in the same stable.

· Premium Member
699 Posts
I like the versatility of the R. You can attach some nice big side cases for a trip, and enjoy the sleeker look when they aren't needed. Cruise control is also nice for trips and highway rides. But, I do like the Speed Twin and have admired the one my friend rides. I guess I thought it was more comparable to my R9T.

· Registered
2012 R1200R
186 Posts
I’m just ruminating over if the speed twin and a 1250 R would be too similar to have in the same stable.
Set up the 1250 with bags and use it as a sporty sport tourer, keep he Speed Twin as a short distance, fun bike.

Reactions: Pacificnomad

· Registered
2019 triumph speed twin
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Set up the 1250 with bags and use it as a sporty sport tourer, keep he Speed Twin as a short distance, fun bike.
100% this. This is what I’m angling towards. I’d love to have the option to tour but having the GS for the once yearly few day trip was just too much for me. Seems like a lot of good feedback coming through from you guys. Thanks for not making me feel crazy, just bound to be broke :cool: with two bikes again🤙.

Having never even thrown a leg over the 1250 R though, I guess we’ll see if I can find one locally enough to try. Not many in WA state for sale! Must ‘mean you lot are on to something…

· Registered
1,307 Posts
The R will be able to be ridden a little harder than the GS, with the same grunt-n-snort motor in a lighter, lower package. It may even out-sport your speed twin... And with the nannies will be a lot safer to ride hard in the spring and fall where you are...

(Ex-Seattleite)

· Registered
2019 triumph speed twin
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The R will be able to be ridden a little harder than the GS, with the same grunt-n-snort motor in a lighter, lower package. It may even out-sport your speed twin... And with the nannies will be a lot safer to ride hard in the spring and fall where you are...

(Ex-Seattleite)
That’s what I’m hoping for. The speed twin looks premium but its suspension outside of big upgrades feels cheap and unwieldy at times. Fun lives in the corners, and I’ve never had a better Cornering bike than the GS/Boxer.

And if I get to ride a little harder in the spring/fall in the Pacific north WET, brother, sign me up! Thank you for your input!

· Registered
1,307 Posts
My moto life started the summer and fall of 2013 on an SV650 in Seattle... Those roads are a lot of fun until the leaves start falling... LOL!

· Registered
2019 triumph speed twin
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So….I made a 5 hour round trip to test ride a ‘22 with no dynamic ESA and not a color I like.
It was great. Felt like a GS at a nude beach. All wind and boxer grunt. Right in the wheel house for what
I’m looking for. The suspension felt fine although I’m so used to the DESA, it felt a bit different. No real complaints except for one.

I was surprised at how forward I was sitting. It put just enough weight on the wrists to be slightly uncomfortable but not unbearable by any means. HOWEVER
They had a used ‘16 1200 R that had Helibar risers. They felt perfect, and I mean perfect. Upright without feeling like I was on a formula 1 lazy boy chair. I wasn’t able to ride the ‘16 though because it has been sitting in their showroom for years apparently with 30k miles on the odometer and was out of commission and In need of prep.
I’m going to look at getting some heli risers for a ‘23 and peruse the forums for y’all’s feedback and info on using them.

· Registered
33 Posts
I don't like forward leaning ergos either, except I found they work perfectly when riding without wind protection, as on my current R1200R, and even the F750GS that I owned for a few months. Perfect in the wind blast (if no rain). I would probably need risers if I put the windshield on ànd rode for the winter, but am headed overseas so no need. It will be warm by the time I'm back. I used to live in PDX and it's a different story up there.

BTW, love that grey GS! I had a 2013, just got tired of the height and weight (5'9). The R is a great compromise.

· Registered
2019 triumph speed twin
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't like forward leaning ergos either, except I found they work perfectly when riding without wind protection, as on my current R1200R, and even the F750GS that I owned for a few months. Perfect in the wind blast (if no rain). I would probably need risers if I put the windshield on ànd rode for the winter, but am headed overseas so no need. It will be warm by the time I'm back. I used to live in PDX and it's a different story up there.
That’s a good point on the no wind protection = lean forward. Especially since, let’s be honest, I’m sure we’re all a little heavy handed on that boxer throttle 😂. I think if it all works out, I’ll just pick up some risers and see if they are needed. Always hard to really vibe on a bike in a 15 min test ride.

· Registered
2019 triumph speed twin
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Helibars 25mm up and about 30mm back solved all my sore wrist and shoulder (injured) issues on my ‘20 R. I wouldn’t have believed it possible but there you go. V pricey though. Cheers
That’s what I felt, it was a huge marked improvement in the feel. Do you think though that you sit too upright on the R now? Not sure what your set up is.

· Registered
301 Posts
Think of the R as the supermotard version of the GS. Comfy, versatile, and capable of ripping way faster than anyone thinks it is.

Reactions: dbyker
1 - 20 of 24 Posts