BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The headlight housing in my 2019 R1250R is loose on the two side Mounting points. Both screws are torqued pretty high (20nm), but the entire housing can easily rock so that the light beam points up/down. It feels like if I torque these any farther, something bad will happen. It almost seems like there should be another screw that stops the housing from moving along this axis, but I can’t find anything. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
737 Posts
As far as I know there are only three bolts that affect the housing.

1 bolt allows the housing to sweep out to the rider's left for bulb changes when the rider's right pivot bolt is removed.
2 bolts fix the housing in place, one on each side, and pinch the housing between the two mounting points.

Did the pinch points get greasy some how?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As far as I know there are only three bolts that affect the housing.

1 bolt allows the housing to sweep out to the rider's left for bulb changes when the rider's right pivot bolt is removed.
2 bolts fix the housing in place, one on each side, and pinch the housing between the two mounting points.

Did the pinch points get greasy some how?
No grease in there. It almost feels like there’s a washer missing between the light housing and the “pinch points”. Maybe I should just keep turning those screws, but it sure feels like that’s not the right answer when I’m looking at it. I don’t want to crack something and have 2 things to fix instead of one.

·
Registered
737 Posts
There weren't any washers that I saw taking mine apart.

Does it swing easy, or with force?

I'm no good at converting nm to ft lbs, but those are big bolts, and it was higher than 15 ft lbs to get them tight...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Swings very easily. Can point it upward with 1 finger and it will fall back downward with just gravity.

20nm is about 14.75 ftlbs. Maybe I’ll just go for it tomorrow, and hope for the best. I’m not sure there’s much else I can do. I’ll report back.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Remove the housing and investigate. By the way, you absolutely have to remove the right bolt, but on the left side, you have 2 options: if you remove the same (horizontal) bolt as the right side, you have to readjust the headlight aim. If you remove the VERTICAL bolt, you don't. And the housing also comes right out, but you swing it first, then just pull it out forward (it requires very little force). I'm suspecting you have something broken inside, as my housing is rock solid after reinstalling it with new DiamondVision bulbs. And didn't have to adjust anything, since I didn't touch the other horizontal bolt. Oh, but remember to first remove the black cover that says 'R1250R', and also the only connector on the housing. Pretty easy. You can post pictures if you still can't figure out what's wrong. Good luck.

·
Registered
2014 R1200R Dark White
106 Posts
Google Motorrad parts fiche and find diagram of your headlight to see the parts/hardware involved.
I know on my 2014 the headlight uses these plastic serrated locking washers on the side bolts.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP w/sport & 2019 R nineT SCR
30 Posts
if you look on realoem..there is a washer on the left side vertical pivot bolt, but not on the right side. The bolt capture elements are also different right and left. But yes, they don't need much torque to hold the headlight unit tight.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if you look on realoem..there is a washer on the left side vertical pivot bolt, but not on the right side. The bolt capture elements are also different right and left. But yes, they don't need much torque to hold the headlight unit tight.
I’m not seeing the washer you mentioned. Could you point out the part at this link?

RealOEM 2019 R1250R headlight parts fiche

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I took things apart today and found a broken piece. It’s part 4 in the parts fiche link in my previous comment. It appears to have been previously over-tightened, and the nut pulled out of the plastic. I have a new one on the way, so hopefully that will take care of things. While I have it apart, I’ll replace the bulbs too, which I’ve been meaning to do. Thanks for the help everyone. I’ll post a follow up comment when it’s fixed.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The #4 part is a 'repair kit', which is probably what the OP bought. It shows 2 washers, but only one is needed (if at all). I don't remember if there was a washer when I removed my headlight to change the bulbs (DiamondVision), but if anything, there was one, not two. By the way, what I did since the beginning was to mark the bolts with a dot, and put them back at exactly the same position, so no need for a torque wrench (and know the TQ values) that way. That should solve your problem... but if your headlight was that loose, the other side might be damaged too, so watch out for that. Good luck.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts