BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,
I have been considering something like the WunderLINQ for a while -
However on the one hand have not felt like spending that much (the great Panzermann (I truly mean it) might have a comment on that),
And on the other hand those on eBay for as low as $15 are shipped from China + seem too-low-quality + I prefer to not purchase from China (bad experience) -
And today found this one on Amazon (and ordered) for about $32:
It looks of a higher quality than those on eBay, price is great, and even though seller location is hidden (on purpose I assume), at the least buyer has Amazon backing the purchase.

P.s. titled 'alert' since if I recall this one used to be listed on Amazon for something around $70-$90.

P.s.2 needless to say, I am not related to that product/seller/Amazon in any way, and simply share what I believe to be a good product for a very low price with others, who have been looking for something like that too.

Notes:
  • I have read a post where rider mentioned the phone fell out of one of those WunderLINQ-like holders (not this very one, but still); it is therefore probably advisable to secure phone further with some rubber/silicon band(s) like e.g. the Ram-X or the one shown below;
    I have received mine few days ago, and first impression is that phone is held securely with this one, but I might add a silicon band just as a good measure.

• With regard to the post about damaging phone due to vibrations, as my personal phone is too important to me, I have another sim + disposable-like phone (as of now an old iPhone 7) dedicated to all activities deemed too risky to my phone (serve as the motorcycle GPS/bicycle rides/kayaking/etc). i.e. the disposable-like is good enough for these job + is cheap to replace if lost/stolen/broken/etc + no harm if gone for whatever reason (no sensitive info, nor my sim/number in it).
Image courtesy of Panzermann:

E.g. silicon band for a better-safe-than-sorry:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Good value and I have one too.

·
Super Moderator
5,007 Posts
I now feel obliged to comment, @rxc 😃

I'm not that much into gadgetry on my bike (I was invited to beta test the Wonder-LINQ but declined because of this reason) although I do appreciate the amount of information available via the dash and I did stoop to buying a Nav VI last year, mainly for trips rather than any local navigation, where Bluetooth voice commands from my pocketed phone would suffice.

I can't comment on relative quaility of the Amazon vs eBay versions but I'd only go with this type of mount if I was swapping between phone and Nav VI on different rides – say the Nav VI for touring, phone around town. If the mount was to be used only for phone, then I'd remove the Nav Prep and fit a more compact Quad-lock with an adjacent USB charging port (or a charging base type Quad-lock if my phone supported it).

But each to his own, and this isn't a big investment. They don't ship to Australia, so I can't even be tempted.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
INteresting find.
How does this compare, other than price, to the WunderLinQ, does it couple to the wonderwheel? Is any software app needed on the phone? One 2* review on Amazon said it does not work with a Samsung Note 19 because the bracket pushes in the volume button.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
INteresting find.
How does this compare, other than price, to the WunderLinQ, does it couple to the wonderwheel? Is any software app needed on the phone? One 2* review on Amazon said it does not work with a Samsung Note 19 because the bracket pushes in the volume button.
The communicating parties are the the motorcycle-computer on the one hand,
And the device (i.e. GPS/WunderLinQ) on the other hand
(With the connectors on the GPS-cradle serving as the means through which the communication between parties flows);
As such, when e.g. the wonderwheel is pressed/turned/tilted/etc, the motorcycle-computer - which monitors the wonderwheel -
Notifies the device about that event,
And it is up to the device/software-on-device to act on that event (e.g. scroll displayed content);
This - however - it just a phone mount, and so the answer is 'no'; and likewise, it has no app.

What makes this mount attractive to me is that it has the ability to be seated in the BMW-GPS-cradle and also draw power from it;
This, in turn, achieves 2 goals at once: it holds my phone 'out of the box', and also charges my phone 'out of the box', therefore allowing me to use maps/navigation on the phone without draining its battery.
And it does that while costing nearly 1/10 of the price of WunderLinQ, while providing 2 (holder+charge) out of the 3 features WunderLinQ offers (holder+charge+info);
And further, almost all the info WunderLinQ provides is already available on the cluster,
Not to mention better to keep my eyes on the road rather than on the cluster/WunderLinQ.

·
Registered
159 Posts
This along with Scenic is replacing my Zumo 660.

The iPhone is more visible in daylight and the ease of using Scenic or Google maps and be able to listen to podcasts etc. And not having to plot routes in basecamp Is a big plus.

The only drawback is not having a glove friendly screen, my screen friendly gloves are only ok for basic tasks.

·
Registered
144 Posts
It's an Acacia. There's 24+ names for it, but they're all the same. I've got one, it's decent, but it's far from a quality piece.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I ordered direct from the website, still waiting for it to arrive, but I know it's somewhere between CN and US (or sitting in US customs)... Saving about $5. If those down under are interested, I think they ship WW from their website.

There were cheaper versions out there, but this one looked to be the best quality of the bunch from the photos. Looking forward to trying it out once it (finally) arrives. Hoping someday our governments will get over themselves and get back to being commerce friendly. :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have heard the optical imaging stabilisation of your mobile phone camera can be damaged due to vibration by mounting on your bike.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I haven't experienced any issues, and have used a cradle of some sort for 7 years and 80k miles...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have heard the optical imaging stabilisation of your mobile phone camera can be damaged due to vibration by mounting on your bike.
My Galaxy, and my Motorola before that, lived on the handlebars of a Harley Road King and now my R1200R. Both lived in rubber-mounted clamps (the H-D had a Ram mount and the R has the thing in this post) and both are fine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I have modified the first post to include a comment about my habit of using a disposable-like phone for too-risky-for-my-personal-phone activities.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts