BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still in my finding the "right" 1200R and have come across one that is pretty close to the list, a 2012 factory lowered. A standard height with comfort seat is just low enough to be comfortable for me, actually about 1 1/2" lower than my current steed of nearly four years. So the standard height works for me at 5'6" with 29-30" inseam.

Now I have come up with this '12 model factory lowered with comfort seat. I surely would benefit from being even lower at stops BUT my concerns are two:

Will this limit cornering angle? I ride the twisties pretty hard for a 63 yr. old.

It seems the only way to accomplish the lowered suspension is to limit the travel, will the bike possibly bottom out on bumps/potholes?

Any other thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Kman. You don't include your weight, and your bottom would make a difference on whether your bike bottoms. . .If you are a BIG smaller guy, then you might consider upgrading your brings with a custom suspension; Ohlins or similar. Otherwise, you should be fine. The seat shouldn't be a factor in your cornering angle; but if you love leaning, and still want an opposed boxer engine, you'll want to have something protruding out there to warn you that you are about to tear off a valve cover. . . :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kman. You don't include your weight, and your bottom would make a difference on whether your bike bottoms. . .If you are a BIG smaller guy, then you might consider upgrading your brings with a custom suspension; Ohlins or similar. Otherwise, you should be fine. The seat shouldn't be a factor in your cornering angle; but if you love leaning, and still want an opposed boxer engine, you'll want to have something protruding out there to warn you that you are about to tear off a valve cover. . . :)

Thanks. I weigh about 145#'s and ride solo and only add maybe 20-25#'s for the occasional 3-5 day tours. The seat height on this one is standard, it is the suspension that is the low from BMW. Suspension upgrades are something I have done on my current ride, Vstrom 650 with Elka 3-way, and would not be upset above having to do that down the road.

Another more general question: Are there performance benefits with the Akrapovic exhaust? If one adds the exhaust is it necessary or recommended to also use a Power Commander V or like product?

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Kman - unless you are doing off road motocross style roads, it's hard to see how you'll disturb the bikes suspension. On the other hand, if you like jumping off hills, we're back to the custom suspension :)
As to the Akra exhaust, there is a little performance benefit, a little weight benefit, and you have a Status Muffler. Not really worth the bucks, if you ask me. If you want lower weight, it's better to do unsprung weight and get a set of BST carbon fiber wheels. As for the Power Commander, etc., there are those who simply must tinker with their power curve, and it probably does no harm. But IMO if you need a bike that has that much more oomph. . .get a 1000RR or a Diablo Strada :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Dr. Dave..,..No jumps or wheelies. I stopped doing that in the early 70's. As for tinkering to get more hp, doubt I will ever want it. That is what the stock RR will do for me over the current ride. The dealer is trying to make the claim AKRa will be worth extra $$$ which I doubted and your opinion validates.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Kman. It's not a bad thing. If you like the sound and want to imagine that you are Sportier than Thou, it's a nice status symbol, but if I were to spend money on the bike, I'd be getting (1) hard bags (2) windscreen (3) Ohlins suspension (4) BST carbon fiber wheels (5) a hand made just for you custom seat

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
And before Hoshiko chimes in, LED lights up the bike's wazoo

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
The dealer is trying to make the claim AKRa will be worth extra $$$ which I doubted and your opinion validates.
Hey Kangarooman, unless the exhaust he is selling is around $50, I wouldn't bother, the only reason I changed mine is because I hate the ugliness of the stock one, the Akra looks almost as bad.
If you care about how your exhaust looks, then take a look at Classic11's, he had a really nice under-tail one that he made himself, but the wheel kept touching it on the bumps so, he scratched that project and move to a "shorty" that he made from a GPR, pretty nice.
Take a look right here:

20130316_174644.mp4 Video by awalker1984 | Photobucket
I personally tried some options, including this made in my kitchen:

But it was to loud, and my wheel was getting any kind of nasty after few miles driven from the exhaust. So I ended up with the shortest and skinniest I could.

Also, as light as you are, I don't think you'll have any problems with the lowered suspension, but agree with classic, go out and try it yourself.

And before Hoshiko chimes in, LED lights up the bike's wazoo
+1 on the hard bags, windshield is not my priority, nor carbon wheels, If I had that kind of money, I'll do slippery clutch instead. And I'll ad some good hand guards, together with the heated grips they are awesome for the colder times.

And finally YES, some LED lights in front and back are a must.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

+1 on the hard bags, windshield is not my priority, nor carbon wheels, If I had that kind of money, I'll do slippery clutch instead. And I'll ad some good hand guards, together with the heated grips they are awesome for the colder times.

And finally YES, some LED lights in front and back are a must.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Hoshiko, Hard bags are a definite. I never heard of carbon wheels and with dollars being stretched for this bike upgrade I will probably not consider at this time along with exhaust which would have to have INCREDIBLE benefit beyond appearance which I agree with you. Hand guards, heated grips and some wind screen (to keep wind off chest)after research as I ride year round into the 20's. I have had Gerbing heated gloves and jacket liner for a couple years and look forward to the addition of heated grips. A Throttlemeister and engine guards are on the short list for delivery. Additional driving/fog lighting down the road. And I guess the LED tail lites I never thought about, must be better visibility to those behind me?

I really appreciate everyones imput

Sorry for misspelling your name

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
K-man, IMHO, no need for handguards for the cold if you aren't riding in the arctic. Long trips on the open slab or short, heated grips and a warm pair of gloves with your core warmed by Gerbings will keep your digits toasty. I bought Gerbings gloves last season when, on a 9 degree day, on my f800r ( no windscreen or handguards) my fingers froze wearing middleweight gloves. I started riding with them on before I wired the bike for them. My hands were fine. I have now ridden in excess of 20K with that combo through last winter and this one and have not yet had the day on which I needed to plug the gloves in even though I can now do so ( I have a Powerlet liner that I plug in. I prefer it to the Gerbings).
I agree with DrDave and Hoshiko- add on mufflers give you looks, sound but, unless you add a full exhaust with no cat converter and re- map your ECU, very little performance benefit. If you need that boost and that look, and want to ride upright, an Aprillia Tuono or Triumph Speed Triple would be good choices. ( I had my ECU re-mapped by Max for better throttle response- it gave that to me and I'm glad to have that. Much better than a Booster Plug. The few extra ponies and ft pounds of torque are not really noticeable or useful on this bike. They wouldn't be with a slip on by Akra or anyone else either.)
On the suspension issue, if you are not scraping your pegs to dust or worse in the twisties on your VStrom, you won't come anywhere near bottoming out or scraping pegs or valve covers on a lowered suspension r12r.
Good decision on the carbon wheels- I looked into them a while ago as a potential replacement for my spoked wheels (2012 Classic), but the cost benefit analysis for this naked standard bike weighed against them. Now if the ride were an HP4 or a Hyabusa Gixxer.....
As for add on lights, check out Clearwater's new Darla's or Motobozzo add ons. Added conspicuity and they throw some light on the road for you to see ( the Darla's turn night into day)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
K-man, IMHO, no need for handguards for the cold if you aren't riding in the arctic. Long trips on the open slab or short, heated grips and a warm pair of gloves with your core warmed by Gerbings will keep your digits toasty.

Great! i'll take your advice and save a bit........hand guards are an easy add on later if neede

If you need that boost and that look, and want to ride upright, an Aprillia Tuono or Triumph Speed Triple would be good choices.

The R1200R is about the same weight with an additional 45 HP and similar torque increase. I doubt I will be needing more. In fact, the increases are why it seems ASC should be standard, not optional.

On the suspension issue, if you are not scraping your pegs to dust or worse in the twisties on your VStrom, you won't come anywhere near bottoming out or scraping pegs or valve covers on a lowered suspension r12r.

Not scraping now, but did when I had 3/4" lowering kit (dogbones) ... although I still had a bit of chicken strip left.

As for add on lights, check out Clearwater's new Darla's or Motobozzo add ons. Added conspicuity and they throw some light on the road for you to see ( the Darla's turn night into day)
I will look into lighting after bike in hand, I will want that upgrade by next winter.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So just when I thought I had it all worked out to purchase the blue '13 with factory lowering kit I find a 90th anniversary much closer.

Blue +++ lowered, heated grips, computer
-- no ASC

90th +++grips, computer, asc
-- not lowered

I like black better and I prefer the lowered, blue is $1,ooo less.

Maybe one of them will sell before I decide, hence, deciding for me.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
So just when I thought I had it all worked out to purchase the blue '13 with factory lowering kit I find a 90th anniversary much closer.

Blue +++ lowered, heated grips, computer
-- no ASC

90th +++grips, computer, asc
-- not lowered

I like black better and I prefer the lowered, blue is $1,ooo less.

Maybe one of them will sell before I decide, hence, deciding for me.
If I was in your shoes, I'll walk out with the 90th. But think how comfortable/safe could be if you don't get the lowered suspension.

Look around, some dealerships will deliver for free.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Always go for the bike that fits you. On this topic, you might want to read David Hough's new book on "More Proficient Motorcycling" or Lee Parks' " Total Control". You will regret owning a bike that you are not comfortable riding no matter how good looking or how good a deal you can make for the bike. If you can ride (and stop) comfortably on the standard height- no need for lowered suspension. If not, the choice has already been made for you.
That said, the cornering ability of an r12r is far superior to that of a VStrom even with the r12r's suspension lowered. If you haven't scraped pegs on a standard height VStrom, you won't come near to scraping them on the R with or without a lowered suspension if you ride similarly. The good news is that the r12r is such a stable performer that you won't ride similarly!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
With the Vstrom I am just barely on both tip toes. On the standard height R1200R I just about touch the balls of my feet and according to cycle-ergo.com I will be flat footed on the lowered model. That would be real nice, especially as I get onto gravel roads and steap rural roads and sometimes stop at dead ends to turn around......always precarious.

Strongly leaning toward the blue lowered, especially with recent info that ASC can be retrofitted if I want to.

#1 on "Total Control" which I have read and reread many times over the years. I look forward to taking a two-day course soon. I am curious how many bad habits I have developed over 45 + years of riding.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
With the Vstrom I am just barely on both tip toes. On the standard height R1200R I just about touch the balls of my feet and according to cycle-ergo.com I will be flat footed on the lowered model. That would be real nice, especially as I get onto gravel roads and steap rural roads and sometimes stop at dead ends to turn around......always precarious.

Strongly leaning toward the blue lowered, especially with recent info that ASC can be retrofitted if I want to.

#1 on "Total Control" which I have read and reread many times over the years. I look forward to taking a two-day course soon. I am curious how many bad habits I have developed over 45 + years of riding.
Kman, with those kind of roads, ASC would be a safe bet, literally. I would get the lowered model and fit the ASC. You might ask the dealer whether there are tires which cope with your bad roads better than the standards; the Spring 2013 independent BMW magazine has a tire comparison that runs down the best picks for various kinds of riding. Worth a look. But, really, gravel is just bad. Stay away..agree with re-reading those motorcycle control books. Good luck and post some pics!

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
No other dealer close to you has a lowered????

Your own dealer, should be interested enough for you to buy your bike with them to look around and have the bike delivered to you, your color choice, lowered suspension and ASC.

Or take the blue one they have right there for a big big discount.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gravel is necessary once in awhile.... sometimes only. I just rode a friend's '11 with 50K miles, (his third one, BTW he and two of his GS buddies rides 25-35K a year and have never been to a dealer for service of any kind, even have a tire change stand at home and they will help/teach me). He runs 80/20 tires. I know from experience I will sample many tires during my ownership. I have not found any other lowered units within 1,000 miles. Both dealers I am talking with, the Blue and the Black are offering good prices.......even other dealers who say they can get me one in 2-4-6- weeks have said they could not beat the pricing. I am not even trying to dicker. I value fairness and not having them through in add-ons or marking up the price for filling out a sales agreement or adding in whatever.

Both dealers are aware of my decision process; i.e. lowered vrs. ASC being the real difference color aside. Ironically the non-lowered salesman saying the lowered might really be best for me and the lowered salesman saying he couldn't blame me for going with the ASC unit that has TPM also because TPM cannot be put on aftermarket.

The 90th may have some greater value down the road if and when a resale takes place, but I have never bought for what it "might" be worth later.

The idea of riding 600 miles as a good bye with the Vstrom and coming home with the new blue, with buddies ready to do the 600 mile service with me is pretty neat.

The real obstacle to considering the closer 90th is I would have to sell my bike rather than trade or consign with the lowered. I travel a lot in work and really have almost no patience for tire kickers even if I am around here and here is two hours from any population base like Asheville, Atlanta or Chattanooga.........the boonies!

Gosh, I was long winded. Thanks again for your imput and consideration.

I plan on deciding tomorrow.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts