BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading quite a few posts from riders who thoroughly enjoyed their lowered foot pegs, I decided to give the Knight Design pegs a try. The new foot pegs arrived as quickly as the US Post Office is moving these days, which was under a week. The pegs are beautifully designed and machined. The finish was perfect and installation was a breeze. Then things started going south, not with the foot pegs, but with the ergonomics of riding with lowered foot pegs.

With lowered foot pegs, my knees were no longer pressing against the main body of the fuel tank. With the lowered pegs, when I clinched against the tank, I was actually putting most of that force against the trim below the tank which was not as solid as the tank. It felt strange and awkward. Unlike a jockey sitting on a race horse, I felt a bit like I was back on my old Harley and that was not exactly a performance riding stance. Bummer!

The next thing that I noticed was that as I took a 90-degree turn at about thirty MPH that my left riding boot actually touched the pavement. In over five years of riding my R1200R-LC, this was the very first time that I had ever had a boot contact pavement in a turn. And I was not pushing the turn hard. Bummer again!

While a lot of riders have commented in their posts that their lowered pegs provided a more comfortable riding posture, that was not the case for me. My Russel seat had been designed for me and my position on standard height pegs and the lowered pegs caused the edge of the seat to put more pressure on my upper legs and, it was not at all comfortable. In addition to my now uncomfortable seat, my riding posture with the lowered pegs just didn't feel right.

One problem that I experienced had a fix on order from Wunderlich America, but it had not arrived in time to test out the new lowered pegs. That problem is that the rear brake pedal was for all intents and purposes unusable with the lowered pegs. I know that a lot of riders, especially our European friends, to not use the rear brake alone very much. But as an American rider who learned to ride on motorcycles that do not have the rear brake synchronized to the front brake lever, I am conditioned to using the rear brake in all sorts of situation from holding the bike on a hill, the final part of any stop, and for any situation, mostly low speed, where I use the brake and the clutch to finely control the speed of the bike, but mostly for trail-braking in the mountains. While I use the front brake a lot on my R1200R, at lower speeds the rear brake gets a lot of use. I suspect that the Wunderlich part which lowers the adjusts the height of the master cylinder and therefore lowers the brake pedal would have fixed the brake pedal problem. But the other issues were sufficient for me to call Knight Design, and they graciously refunded the price of the pegs, once I returned them. They have great customer service. I asked them to let me know if they start making standard height pegs - they are really nice, have a great grip on the boot, and they transfer no more vibration than the stock BMW pegs.

That was my experience with lowered pegs, which seem to contrast with just about everyone else's. I wonder if the Russel seat, which is higher than the stock seat, was a contributing factor to me not really needing a lowered peg.

·
Registered
‘12 R1200R Classic | ‘15 R1200RT
64 Posts
Good write up, thanks. I tried the Knight lowering pegs on my F800GT. Excellent craftsmanship and quality but they placed my feet in a wider stance, which I didn’t care for. Also, on the F800, the brake pedal isn’t meant to be adjusted for height (although it can be done), so it was rendered useless.

I have the Wunderlich lowering kit on my ‘12 R1200R and they are outstanding.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks for sharing your experience Pete. Did you by any chance take a picture of the lowered pegs on the motorcycle before you removed/returned them?

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for sharing your experience Pete. Did you by any chance take a picture of the lowered pegs on the motorcycle before you removed/returned them?

I did take a couple of photos. This one is probably the best of the bunch.
IMG_0695.JPEG

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good write up, thanks. I tried the Knight lowering pegs on my F800GT. Excellent craftsmanship and quality but they placed my feet in a wider stance, which I didn’t care for. Also, on the F800, the brake pedal isn’t meant to be adjusted for height (although it can be done), so it was rendered useless.

I have the Wunderlich lowering kit on my ‘12 R1200R and they are outstanding.
What did you do to lower the brake pedal?

·
Registered
315 Posts
My 16 is running a Corbin seat and the SW-Motech Ion Dually pegs. I've got them in the lower position, and with the rubber in. The setup does pretty well for me overall, but the seat could stand to be higher. I leave the bike in dynamic suspension any time I'm not in traffic on on the highway, and while I have dragged a toe from time to time, it's rare. I tend to get pretty far off the bike when cornering.

When I've nabbed a toe it's always been when NOT hanging off the bike and going pretty fast - hairpin 20-30mph turns at 60-70mph. I run Pilot Road 5's, weigh about 190#, and ride right to the edge.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts