BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 R1200R with ESA, I have a lowered seat as the bike is just too tall. I find this so uncomfortable on long journeys and find I need to stop every 50 miles, even after having some gel and memory foam put in it.
I have contacted BMW regarding the lowered version they offer...however I was very disappointed at face value it looks like the bike is much lower than the standard option. However this is untrue as they always use a lowered seat and in reality a standard bike with a low seat is still lower than a low bike with a standard bike. The lower bike is only 10mm different.
Anyway just wanted some advice.....I am looking to change bike because of this...is there anything I can do...can the R1200R be lowered????? Please help..everybike I testride is a compromise just so I can touch the floor and have a comfortable seat.....

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Your most effective options involve customizing the seat and the suspension: a custom seat, where you actually go to the place, and sit in a mold. You could also try setting the bike to a "comfort" suspension setting and/or getting custom shocks, which could further lower your bike. None of these are cheap e.g., seat is probably about 4-600. Shocks maybe 2500 for the pair. If you love the bike, it's probably worth it. If not that much, you may really be more comfortable on a cruiser style machine with very low seat height, e.g., 27-28" Let us know what you decide to do.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i am short, 5'2" and i just bought a 2007 R12R that has been lowered using hyperpro shocks and has the stock BMW low seat. although i am not flat footed i am very comfortable being on the balls of my feet. for reference i also have a 2009 G650GS that has the factory low suspension and low seat. on that bike i am almost flat footed. my other bike is a 2011 F650GS twin with the factory low suspension and low seat. on this bike i had a custom seat made. although it is not as low as the G650GS it is about the same as the R12R.

having said all that i would like to know why you feel the need to stop every 50 miles. are your knees hurting you, is it the seat that is too hard which is why you need to stop so often?

if you really like the bike then it can be easily lowered, although it is not cheap. you may be better off selling your bike and buying another R12R that is the factory low suspension/low seat version. go to your local dealer and sit on one and see what you think.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you are like the r1200r in all respects other than the seat and you can afford between $1,800 and $2,500 for suspension upgrades (which can improve ride and handling as well as lowering the seat height) there are numerous options; in addition to the above mentioned Hyperpro and Wilburs, you might also consider Elka and Ohlins....... check them all out for cost and features.

For the one seat that everyone I have heard of being satisfied with, including myself, the Russel Day Long. I cannot brag enough about how great it was on a previous bike that took ride times from 20-30 minutes to 12 hours other than pit stops w/o any issue.

Good Luck and let us know how you resolve this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anybody have part # for the lower shock/springs that are on a factory lowered R1200R? Where there part # changes between 2008 and 2013?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I also have a lower seat on my 07 R1200R and find the kink in my knee is such that I'm uncomfortable after an hour of riding and start dropping my legs straight down to improve the blood flow for brief time. I'm considering getting footpeg lowering kit from Suburban Machinery in Ohio. They make a kit for the R11200R @ $198 that apparently lower the footpegs just over an inch. Anyone had any experience with this option. I already use an Airhawk which is great but its the legs that get cramped. Love the bike.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I was up in Cleveland on business today and stopped by Suburban Machinery and Terry installed a set of lowering pegs on my R1200R. What a difference they make !

·
Registered
824 Posts
Bradkap,
There are some notes on his site that mentions 2010 and later R's have a piece that needs to be sawn off to clear the side stand I believe. Did you have to do this? What year is your bike?

·
Registered
193 Posts
2013, he re-engineered the shifter foot peg to go over and out of the way of the side stand. You might want to get a shifter extender for $22 from Illium. Both the brake and shifter can be repositioned very easily if desired.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts