BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pix of a major rebuild of an R9T have been emerging on the R9T Forum. The relocation of the instrument cluster to the position shown below has aroused a lot of furious comment, both for and against, leaving aside possible considerations of legality. Wodda you sober/ possibly conservative lot think? I think the above 'L' word is something of an understatement, but YMMV...

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Might be missing the design concept but have to go with ”L”. It might be a bit too early to make a valued judgement and could change my opinion after my first coffee ... would love to ask the designer one question - Why?
They could've got their inspiration from this ahead-of-the-curve creation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
528 Posts
Well, if it is readily readable from there, why not (but I doubt it is). Imagine a bike with a full helmet-based HUD instrument cluster. You'd still have to have a "display" on the bike that would switch on with the most basic of info should the HUD fail.

·
Super Moderator
4,992 Posts
Looks like it became detached and is just holding on by a few wires ...

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks like it became detached and is just holding on by a few wires ...

Much like the perpetrator's brain when he came up with the idea!:eek:

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I like it. I'm never quite sure why people get so upset about others' choices.

I've not seen the thread in question, but I suspect the bike won't run without the instrument cluster, so if one doesn't like it up top, why not zip-tie it to the side?

Of course, I've occasionally been described as a contrarian - I respond by saying, "Look up Ignaz Semmelweis".

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like it. I'm never quite sure why people get so upset about others' choices.
I've not seen the thread in question, but I suspect the bike won't run without the instrument cluster, so if one doesn't like it up top, why not zip-tie it to the side?
Of course, I've occasionally been described as a contrarian - I respond by saying, "Look up Ignaz Semmelweis".
Two points, sturgeon. First, the OP asked for comments, which he got, many but not all negative. Second - my personal reaction was not to be upset, rather - WTF? Then - why??

·
Registered
199 Posts
While I kinda' like it, the OCD in me would rage unabated until I could rotate each instrument clockwise by 90 degrees. But that would still leave the warning lights 'wrong'.

Also, the need to REALLY take your eyes off the road ahead to check the gauges would not sit well with me and could invite disaster.

The 'L' word is a bit strong but 'kinda' interesting in a weird way' works for me. Maybe it's a hipster man-bun thing that spawns this, ahem, 'creativity'. But sure wouldn't put 'em there on my own bike.

Then again, the guy who came up with putting an inflatable airbag in a car was scoffed at for ages, yet look at us now...

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Then again, the guy who came up with putting an inflatable airbag in a car was scoffed at for ages, yet look at us now...
Not exactly an apples-for-apples comparison, herdy. Now if he'd placed the airbags in the boot/ trunk, say, or on the roof, OK - ludicrous, but as a safety device OK. As ANOther has said, some folks do things just for the sake of it, which is OK if they so wish but doesn't stop others asking "why the bloody 'ell would you do that"?.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've often wondered if these ape-hangers, quite often seen around here and mainly on H-Ds, compromise the steering of the bike.

Reactions: MikeHSG

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Two points, sturgeon. First, the OP asked for comments, which he got, many but not all negative. Second - my personal reaction was not to be upset, rather - WTF? Then - why??
To my aging eyes, you are the OP, no? I realize I live on the other side of the world, but in our version of the Queen's English, WTF is an acronym for What The F**k. Sounds kinda upset to me. I guess things are different here.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
No. I was certainly the OP of the 'Ludicrous?' question, but the original OP - i.e. the guy who built the bike - posted his pix ASKING FOR COMMENTS ON IT.

And our version of WTF means as much as anything "what's going on here?" or "I don't understand this at all", and/ or many other similar quizzical responses. Doesn't necessarily mean at all 'upset'. I might have been upset if the pix were of the OP setting fire to the bike (tho' I doubt it)!

I think a good description of the absurdity of the instruments cluster positioning on the bike might be 'Daliesque'. Now let your alleged contrarian nature - which I suspect you enjoy - work on that one!

Reactions: slowpoke

·
Super Moderator
4,992 Posts
I've often wondered if these ape-hangers, quite often seen around here and mainly on H-Ds, compromise the steering of the bike.
I don't think it matters to those who favour them. I'm surprised BMW stooped to this level of cruiserness – I figured they were aiming at a different segment. But I suppose if you can pick up a few sales at the fringes, why not.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Pushing a bike around with high ape-hangers gets, um, interesting pretty quick. Lot's more leverage from the top of the tall bars on the handlebar mounts puts immense strain on the ability of the clamp to hold the bar firmly. I recall many decades ago when I worked in a bike shop trying to push an old Triumph Thunderbird with ape-hangers and it was nearly impossible - the bars just kept rotating on the clamp. Them were the daze...

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I don't think it matters to those who favour them. I'm surprised BMW stooped to this level of cruiserness – I figured they were aiming at a different segment. But I suppose if you can pick up a few sales at the fringes, why not.
"Fringes". Is that an allusion to the crowd that likes fringed jackets?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I think a good description of the absurdity of the instruments cluster positioning on the bike might be 'Daliesque'. Now let your alleged contrarian nature - which I suspect you enjoy - work on that one!

View attachment 108107
Well, I quite like Dali. Reminds me of the drug-induced hazes of my misspent youth. As for the display mounted on the side, I say, "why not?". I rarely, if ever, look at the display on my R9T while in motion - I simply see no need to do so. I prefer to watch the road ahead and my mirrors. Hard to tell from the photo you posted, but it seems well secured with zip-ties, so what's the big deal? I have a Mudsling zip-tied to my Roadster, never give it a second thought or worry that it might come off, which if it did, would arguably be a whole lot more dangerous. As I think I said previously, I wonder if the "OP" as you call them really wanted to remove it completely, but couldn't because the bike won't run without it. Much ado about nothing.

As a decidely un-stylish style icon, I try to refrain from disparaging others' sense of style and good taste.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: hexer
1 - 20 of 40 Posts