BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 07 12r came with the BMW complete rack system but no luggage or boxes. I am struggling to figure out what will fit to the rack. Should I sell it and put a Givi rack on or try to find BMW luggage to fit the rack??

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
You might find OEM 'system cases' to fit if you hunt around the used market. I know people here seem to like Shad and/or Givi, but for the money I'd check out Hepco & Becker, maybe a pair of Junior 30 or 40 panniers. I used those on a Moto Guzzi for several years - lightweight, sturdy, don't look half-bad to my eye.

·
Registered
20 Posts
For what purpose do you want a luggage solution?
I personally have 2 BMW cases (left and right), which I use quite a lot. For my vacation I attached the BMW Luggage roll to the rack indicated above.
I like the looks of the original cases, and they fit a full face helmet. Anything inside is stored securely and can be opened with the key that came with the bike.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi, if you join 'BMW Club Buy/Want/ Sell ' Facebook site, there's luggage for sale quite often. Someone selling a suitable top box for £200 in Exeter at the moment.
Hope this helps.

Mike

Reactions: Martyn242

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies, I am thinking to go for hard top case to leave on and use full time and maybe opt for soft sides to keep cost down for touring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the smaller version of that, been across Canada and back with me a couple of times. So far, completely waterproof.
Hmmm. My small BMW bag seems to leak like a sieve. Anything I put in there I have to put in another, waterproof, plastic bag to keep dry if it's raining.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have decided to go with a universal Givi monokey plate attached to the standard rack. Will then be on the lookout for a used Givi outback or outback trekker box

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Hmmm. My small BMW bag seems to leak like a sieve. Anything I put in there I have to put in another, waterproof, plastic bag to keep dry if it's raining.
The one with the roll-top inner waterproof liner? If mine did that, I'd take it back to the dealer. Having said that, my other pastime when not riding, is white-water canoeing, often in the Canadian Arctic. I habitually pack everything that I absolutely need to keep dry, inside dry bags, even in hard panniers. Old habits die hard. There are few things in my life more unpleasant than sleeping in a damp sleeping bag at 5c. Speaking of rain and 5C ... summer in Canada ...

·
Registered
171 Posts
Another endorsement for the BMW Softbag 3 from me too.

seldom use my OEM panniers but the softbag goes everywhere with me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts