BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Apologies for misrepresenting the tyre. It was and is a ROADTEC not a Sportec and I mistakenly wrote.

Eight months back and 6.5K kilometres later (4000 miles) I’ve noticed the Metzler Roadtec rear tyre has worn severely on the right side ie. Down-Under road camber side, (opposite in the US). I’ve always noticed the front tyre shows uneven wear which I've put down to road camber, but this on the rear seems extreme. Has anyone else riding an R1200R LC experienced a similar wear pattern on their rear tyre?

Yes I've considered right corners are slightly longer than left turns and that riding in the hills that sight distance is greater on right bends and this might suggest one takes these corners faster than left turns, but hey I'm clutching at straws for a reasonable explanation as this wear is like nothing I’ve ever experienced on any bike or tyre.

I definitely won't be recommending Metzler Sportec, as this wear only after 6,500 kilometres isn't exactly economical motorcycling.

Will return to Michelin pilot road 5 GT… unless someone knows something better?
View attachment 107108
Any comments would be appreciated… well within reason.
View attachment 107109

·
Registered
13 Posts
Interested in what tyre pressures you ran. I had Roadtecs on my S1000r were wearing evenly and lasting well, obviously a lighter bike though. I ran recommended tyre pressures 36F and 42R.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the 01s you were probably referring to the z8's, The z8's have been around along time, wonder also if the OE version is inferior.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I was disappointed my bike came with the Z8’s, but I have to say so far I can’t complain, they grip and handle fine. Depending on the state of the front once the rear is done, I might go with another rear Z8. Decent enough tyres.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I have had no problem with the rear (apart from a puncture, which I plugged) but the front had to be changed as the right hand side had worn down through the wear lines, left side had plenty of tread left. As I had a spare rear in the garage I replaced the front with another Z8 but when they are finished I will try something else.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Just looking at replacing my Roadtec 01s. Considering Michelin Road 5s. No specials locally at the moment. Loved the Roadtecs when new. Good grip wet or dry and only having issues now after recent 4000km trip, rear tyre is pretty squared off and front has odd wear pattern suggesting incorrect pressures. But i did run it at 2.3 bar Front and 2.6 bar rear for a long time which probably contributed to this. Run them now at 2.6F and 2.9R. Does slide about a bit now. Total km on this set estimated at 6500km.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Looking to replace with the new Metzeler Roadtec 01 SE.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts