BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Perhaps someone can shed some light:

I am in the US and recently bought a used (11,000 miles) 2018 1200RT (LC). I have the original detailed list of RT's technical features from the BMW dealer where RT was bought at. One of the listed features my RT was sold with and that is in question in my mind is: "Dynamic Traction Control" (DTC). In the US this option shows up on dealer's invoice as option #182.

My question: When I enter the RT setting menu what shows up in the menu is "Automatic Stability Control" (ASC). DTC option does not exists at all!!!! Even though the BMW manual does show that the two options are valid ones.
Again, I have a 2018 model and I am wondering if this is right. Is it possible that the DTC function is built into my RT and somehow simply has to be instantiated, by say, the dealer. Is it possible dealer simply did not provide this DTC option despite claiming to have provided it??? Am I missing something, misinterpreting something here?

Any light shed on my question will certainly be appreciated!

Thanks much!!!

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,696 Posts
On the Roadster 1200, DTC is part of the Driving Modes Pro (which gives selectable Road and Dynamic engine response).

Throw your VIN into an online decoder and you will see whether the Driving Modes Pro option was fitted by the factory. Or if your bike has the Mode selector button, you should be able to switch between the modes, confirming the presence of the option.

Reactions: dbyker

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the Roadster 1200, DTC is part of the Driving Modes Pro (which gives selectable Road and Dynamic engine response).

Throw your VIN into an online decoder and you will see whether the Driving Modes Pro option was fitted by the factory. Or if your bike has the Mode selector button, you should be able to switch between the modes, confirming the presence of the option.
Hello Panzermann and thanks!
I know for sure I have “driving/riding mode Pro” as bike has those three optional riding modes.
Again, in terms of traction control my bike only shows “ASC” as opposed to “DTC” despite the fact that bike was supposedly sold with “DTC”. Something does not make sense here. Perhaps ASC and DTC are interchangeable terms. But on the other hands it appears bike’s operating manual distguish between the two. See attached figures extracted out of the manual. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Panzermann,

I replied to your comments from yesterday (see below).
Guess my bottom line question is as follows: Should one be able to see both "ASC" and "DTC" as two separate and independent options in the setting menu? Once more: My bike only shows "ASC". It does not show "DTC"!!!

Thanks!!!

·
6,696 Posts
I’m afraid I can’t offer any further advice as the R has a different menu system to the RT. ASC and DTC are switched using a button on the RH switchgear, with an indicator lamp on the dash for each to show if it is disabled.

Notwithstanding the sales receipt, did you decide the VIN?

·
Registered
187 Posts
It is probably a question best posted in the appropriate section of BMW Luxury Touring Community

I have had a 2018 R1200R and now have a 2021 R1250RT but you need advice from someone with the appropriate model.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m afraid I can’t offer any further advice as the R has a different menu system to the RT. ASC and DTC are switched using a button on the RH switchgear, with an indicator lamp on the dash for each to show if it is disabled.

Have yet to run VIN by a third party. But yesterday, Sat, ran VIN by a local BMW dealer by me and service manager there generated a list of features bike comes with (my 2018 RT!!). One of those listed features is “DTC”. But than to my question why bike menus shows “ASC” and not “DTC” he answered that at some point BMW changed name of traction control from DTC to ASC. That didn’t sound to me like a good/rational answer (to be gentle….)

so we shall see….

thanks!

·
6,696 Posts
ASC differs from DTC in that the latter also uses yaw and bank angle measurements to detect rear wheel side slip and adjusts torque as required, allowing an amount of side-slip.

Maybe it’s just that with your version of firmware, DTC is not switchable.

EDITED - I had them back to front. Thanks @sturgeon. 🤦‍♂️

·
6,696 Posts
Just thinking about it a bit, DTC is simply a refinement of ASC by adding the banking detection and yaw component. So switching off ASC also switches off DTC.

On the 1200LC Roadster, the ASC/DTC is switched using a button on the RH controller, with only an indicator light illuminated when switched off. There’s no option to switch only the DTC aspect off, and it wouldn’t really make sense to do so - you either want rear wheel slip control or not.

I suspect the menu display on yours suits both standard and Riding Mode Pro equipped bikes - not worth implementing a change to show ASC/DTC instead of ASC in the menu for Riding Mode Pro equipped bikes.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
DTC is ASC with inclination (lean-angle) sensor input.
Just thinking about it a bit, DTC is simply a refinement of ASC by adding the banking detection and yaw component. So switching off ASC also switches off DTC.
Isn't that what I just said in fewer words? 🤣 🤣

·
6,696 Posts
Isn't that what I just said in fewer words
Yeah - sometimes I just need to say things out loud before I get it.
My dear wife often has to remind me that thinking happens inside the head …

• Haha
Reactions: dbyker and sturgeon

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ASC differs from DTC in that the latter also uses yaw and bank angle measurements to detect rear wheel side slip and adjusts torque as required, allowing an amount of side-slip.

Maybe it’s just that with your version of firmware, DTC is not switchable.
View attachment 112600
EDITED - I had them back to front. Thanks @sturgeon. 🤦‍♂️
Got in touch with dealer who sold bike to guy from whom I bought the RT…. The service manager out there called me today and said something like: If “ASC” shows up under the “Setting”menu (switch on or off) that in that case and by default “DTC” is also an included option even though it does not show in the “Setting” menu. Have to say that it still not making 100% sense in my mind. My feeling is that I think that when they deliver the bike that either they did not instantiate “DTC” in bike’s Software (SW ) or Firmware (FW). I am still thinking to call BMW help center just to see how they are handling my situation/question…

thanks much!!!!

·
6,696 Posts
Is there an RT forum where you could ask the question, or someone you know with a similar bike?

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Is the quote you posted for your bike? It looks like DTC shows up for N/C under the premium package. Do you have that package with E-ESA? If so, it looks like DTC should be there. It doesn’t make sense that this is a terminology issue.

·
Registered
187 Posts

·
6,696 Posts
And no forum member could go out to their bike turn on the key and check the menu to see if yours is the same as theirs? 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
187 Posts
And no forum member could go out to their bike turn on the key and check the menu to see if yours is the same as theirs? 🤷🏻‍♂️
I don't understand that statement. I am sure if the question were to be posted on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forum someone would check and give an answer fairly quickly. No one on this forum has the same bike.

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
There aren’t separate asc and dtc menus under the system menus on the r1250r as there appear to be on the ‘18 rt. On the r1250r, there is a dtc menu under the rider pro menu to set the mode for dtc. My manual refers to asc/dtc, which you can turn on or off with a button on the left instrument cluster. This conflating of asc and dtc is obtuse to me. The ‘18 rt is different; different left side instrument buttons and system menus.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts