BMW R1200R Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,696 Posts
I don't understand that statement.
Apologies - in my haste, I’d assumed it was the OP who referred to the other forums. 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Is the quote you posted for your bike? It looks like DTC shows up for N/C under the premium package. Do you have that package with E-ESA? If so, it looks like DTC should be there. It doesn’t make sense that this is a terminology issue.
Hello Dougl,

Been away a bit and now getting back to my DTC/ASC question/issue.
First I would like to establish that either you or someone else on thsi forum have a late RT model (2014 and beyond...) as opposed to any other late BMW model.
About a week ago I contacted BMW and today one of their reps called me only to tell me that I should have a BMW dealer in my area check the DTC functionality. Meaning have the dealer check if indeed it does not exists and if so install this ffeature. He admitted to me that based on my VIN number bike should have come with DTC.
Reminding: My 2018 RT only shows "ASC" under the setting menu (when you scroll all the way down using the wonder wheel). Nothing inthe way of "DTC" shows up on my RT. In fact I did call the dealer where the original owner of this RT bought it from..On eof the sales rep at that very dealer, while I was on the phone with her, told me that she was looking at another 2018 RT they happen to have in their shop and that it had "DTC" show up under th esetting menu, not "ASC". So I am trying to find out if any of our forum members have a 2018 RT or say 2014 and beyonf RT model and have them look at their "setting" menu and tell me what shows up on their screen. Is it "ASC", is it "DTC" or is it bothe "ASC" and "DTC". I deffinitely would like to nail down this very point before I head out to a BMW dealer as many of those don'y possess knowledeg of what should/should not show up in terms of features and such.

Many thanks to all!

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,696 Posts
It seems, then, that it should display DTC, @MarsRedRT.

Then there’s the issue of firmware updates to the display. Perhaps ‘DTC’ was originally omitted from the display option, but later added to avoid the ambiguity you are experiencing, so it might simply require a firmware update to the instrument panel rather than any DTC implementation.

But the dealer should be able to sort it by refreshing/updating relevant firmware based on what the VIN indicates it should have.

I might go and play with my fully analogue Yamaha SRX6 now … 😄

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
It seems, then, that it should display DTC, @MarsRedRT.

Then there’s the issue of firmware updates to the display. Perhaps ‘DTC’ was originally omitted from the display option, but later added to avoid the ambiguity you are experiencing, so it might simply require a firmware update to the instrument panel rather than any DTC implementation.

But the dealer should be able to sort it by refreshing/updating relevant firmware based on what the VIN indicates it should have.

I might go and play with my fully analogue Yamaha SRX6 now … 😄
Absolutely Panzermann, indeed digital has its price!!!

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Quite the classical runaround you’re getting. Apparently no RT owners here to confirm.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Quite the classical runaround you’re getting. Apparently no RT owners here to confirm.
Yes it seems that way...Will attempt to post my question(s) on the RT forum that Panzermann had suggested...Hoping folks out tere are responsive as you guys are...Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
As PM suggested, why don’t you get the dealer to update the firmware and software?

Here are BMW’s explanations of ASC and DTC. It looks like DTC is more advanced, accounting for lean angle

ASC

DTC

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Hello Dougl,

Problem is that dealers don't want to do it. They claim I already have DTC even though I don't see it under the "setting" menu. And to my question how do I know I actually have this DTC feature they can't really answer except to say take it or leave it kind of thing....
I am not looking to understand what each feature is, but rather looking for some level of confidence to assure me that I indeed I do have DTC installed/instantiated on my bike. That's all I am looking for. Even the sales person at the dealer where this bike was originally bought at, told me that when she looked at another 2018 bike that happened to be at their shop, that that bike's setting menu showed DTC and not ASC. So something doesn't sound right. I am also seeking assistance from the Luxury Touring forum to see if anyone out there knows something..

Thanks much!

·
Premium Member
433 Posts
Hello Dougl,

Problem is that dealers don't want to do it. They claim I already have DTC even though I don't see it under the "setting" menu. And to my question how do I know I actually have this DTC feature they can't really answer except to say take it or leave it kind of thing....
I am not looking to understand what each feature is, but rather looking for some level of confidence to assure me that I indeed I do have DTC installed/instantiated on my bike. That's all I am looking for. Even the sales person at the dealer where this bike was originally bought at, told me that when she looked at another 2018 bike that happened to be at their shop, that that bike's setting menu showed DTC and not ASC. So something doesn't sound right. I am also seeking assistance from the Luxury Touring forum to see if anyone out there knows something..

Thanks much!
It doesn’t sound right and since you’ve confirmed it with the sales person at the dealer you bought it from, that dealership should update your bike. ASC is not DTC. Does BMW have a national center? If so, escalate this. I had to do this with Triumph and it worked.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
It doesn’t sound right and since you’ve confirmed it with the sales person at the dealer you bought it from, that dealership should update your bike. ASC is not DTC. Does BMW have a national center? If so, escalate this. I had to do this with Triumph and it worked.
Yes, BMW have a national center. And indeed ths guy called me and told me I should take it to a dealer to be checked out. Like no s**t, I know I can take it myself. But asked him if I can get an answer as to what indeed should show up in the "setting" menu he said he is not a technical person and that he does not know. When asked to speak with a technical rep out at HQs he said those guys are only answering questions fielded by dealers. In other words, I got nothing from the guy that can help me. So ultimately I will be soon reaching out to a BMW dealer nearby my location and see again what they say regrding re-flashing SW/FW and such...

Thansk!

·
Registered
581 Posts
@MarsRedRT - If you haven't yet, join the BMW MOA, and ask on that forum as well. Some really knowledgeable folks on that forum, but the signal/noise ratio can be poor at times. Specific questions get good answers early and then devolve quickly, but the data is good. I don't go there often, but have seen really good info there.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
@MarsRedRT - If you haven't yet, join the BMW MOA, and ask on that forum as well. Some really knowledgeable folks on that forum, but the signal/noise ratio can be poor at times. Specific questions get good answers early and then devolve quickly, but the data is good. I don't go there often, but have seen really good info there.

Got it, and thanks much for the advice!!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
As PM suggested, why don’t you get the dealer to update the firmware and software?

Here are BMW’s explanations of ASC and DTC. It looks like DTC is more advanced, accounting for lean angle

ASC

DTC

All, finally made an appointment with local BMW dealer to look at my issue and very possibly update SW/FW... Will of course keep you posted. Appointment is for next Friday... Can't wait to find out things...!!!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
I wonder if it was loaded with the wrong firmware at the factory when it was built, despite what the VIN indicates? Stuff happens. I know from experience that the difference between having DTC and not, is merely a different firmware, for those bikes that have the requisite sensor hardware, which yours almost certainly does.

If it were me, I'd ask BMW to have the local dealer re-flash the firmware with a version that includes DTC. Normally there's a charge for new firmware that includes option upgrades like DTC, but since the VIN indicates it should already be there, I'd make the case that the firmware 'upgrade' ought to be done for free. As far as I know, firmware can be (re)loaded at any time; just needs connecting to the dealer's service computer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I wonder if it was loaded with the wrong firmware at the factory when it was built, despite what the VIN indicates? Stuff happens. I know from experience that the difference between having DTC and not, is merely a different firmware, for those bikes that have the requisite sensor hardware, which yours almost certainly does.

If it were me, I'd ask BMW to have the local dealer re-flash the firmware with a version that includes DTC. Normally there's a charge for new firmware that includes option upgrades like DTC, but since the VIN indicates it should already be there, I'd make the case that the firmware 'upgrade' ought to be done for free. As far as I know, firmware can be (re)loaded at any time; just needs connecting to the dealer's service computer.
Hey Sturgeon, these are the exact thoughts that ran through my mind. Meaning that somehow either mistakenly or unknowingly bike was delivered without this feature even though original owner of the bike (from whom I bought the bike) paid for it. So I am going to the dealer next Friday and was told I would have to pay for re-flashing SW/FW(about $120.00) which I am willing to do. After all I am not the original owner, though it would make sense for BMW to correct problem on their expense, if indeed it is their mistake.

But the real question that still stuck in my mind is: Is DTC and ASC are indeed two separate functions both of which would be independently shown in the "Setting" menu? Or is it that only one feature of the two (ASC , DTC) is to be shown in the "setting" menu. This is a fundamental question that so far I cannot get get an answer to!! It is now turns out to be a pure matter of curiosity, as I don't think this is a life changing matter in any way or shape.

Thanks much to you!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
But the real question that still stuck in my mind is: Is DTC and ASC are indeed two separate functions both of which would be independently shown in the "Setting" menu?
A quick look at the manual seems to indicate that there should be separate Settings for ASC and DTC...

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
...I am going to the dealer next Friday and was told I would have to pay for re-flashing SW/FW(about $120.00) which I am willing to do.
I'm guessing that's the 'labour' cost for the dealer to do the re-flash. I have a 2016 R1200R. In 2017, BMW introduced an "ABS Pro" option, and I was quoted $745 (Canadian) for the firmware upgrade, and a free install if they did it when I had the bike in for service (implying it wouldn't be free if it was there for only the upgrade). This was the dealer where I bought the bike and with whom I'd been dealing for years (i.e. someone I trust). I reckon ABS Pro and whatever option for the DTC on your RT would be sort of comparable in cost, so it sounds like the dealer and/or BMW are providing the firmware for free and just charging you to install it. I'd want an assurance from the dealer that if what they do doesn't end up giving you DTC, there would NO charge.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
A quick look at the manual seems to indicate that there should be separate Settings for ASC and DTC...
View attachment 112739
Yes, exactly what I am thinking/saying all along. In fact, if I am not mistaken, I also previously attached pages from my operating manual (in my case, 2018 RT the corresponding pages are: Pg 63 for ASC and Pg 64 for DTC. I think they really did a lousy job in describing what should/should not be seen on the "Settings" menu.
Incidentally Sturgeon, what model year is your RT? Thanks much!!!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Incidentally Sturgeon, what model year is your RT? Thanks much!!!
I used to own a 2004 R1150RT many years ago. Needless to say, it didn't have ASC or DTC, although it did have ABS ;)

My "modern" BMWs are R1200R and R9T Scrambler. I downloaded a PDF copy of the 2018 RT owner's manual from BMW online, searched for DTC. and posted a screenshot of the pages. Sorry, I guess I missed seeing the photos you posted.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I used to own a 2004 R1150RT many years ago. Needless to say, it didn't have ASC or DTC, although it did have ABS ;)

My "modern" BMWs are R1200R and R9T Scrambler. I downloaded a PDF copy of the 2018 RT owner's manual from BMW online, searched for DTC. and posted a screenshot of the pages. Sorry, I guess I missed seeing the photos you posted.
No worries, all is good. And thanks for taking time to research this topic !!!

21 - 40 of 51 Posts