BMW R1200R Forum banner
41 - 51 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I'm guessing that's the 'labour' cost for the dealer to do the re-flash. I have a 2016 R1200R. In 2017, BMW introduced an "ABS Pro" option, and I was quoted $745 (Canadian) for the firmware upgrade, and a free install if they did it when I had the bike in for service (implying it wouldn't be free if it was there for only the upgrade). This was the dealer where I bought the bike and with whom I'd been dealing for years (i.e. someone I trust). I reckon ABS Pro and whatever option for the DTC on your RT would be sort of comparable in cost, so it sounds like the dealer and/or BMW are providing the firmware for free and just charging you to install it. I'd want an assurance from the dealer that if what they do doesn't end up giving you DTC, there would NO charge.
Yep, guess only when I actually get to the dealer (next Friday) that I'll have a better idea as t what it will all cost...

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,696 Posts
If your VIN says it should have DTC and it doesn't show in the menus, then it's a warranty issue as far as I can see. Even out of warranty, you would have a case in Australia and BMW Motorrad Aust would come to the party anyway.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
If your VIN says it should have DTC and it doesn't show in the menus, then it's a warranty issue as far as I can see. Even out of warranty, you would have a case in Australia and BMW Motorrad Aust would come to the party anyway.
Even if customer (me) did not buy the RT directly from a BMW dealer? Like I said, I bought it from someone who bought it from a BMW dealer... Interesting. But at this point I want to see if say BMW re-flash FW, if that "DTC" feature will indeed show up.. Thanks and for sure intend to keep folks posted of any resolution to this matter!

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,696 Posts
If not the original purchaser, then Australian Consumer Law doesn't provide protection, but BMW Motorrad Aust would stand behind the product here.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
If not the original purchaser, then Australian Consumer Law doesn't provide protection, but BMW Motorrad Aust would stand behind the product here.
Understood! I was already told by BMW HQs that any expense associated with this matter will be solely on me.....That's fine, but let's get to the bottom of it. By the way I just saw a youtube video that shows the DTC feature on what I believe is a 2020 RT model. And so if this feature only shows at later models than the one I have than why is it shown in the operating manual for my 2018 model? All I am asking is for BMW to be clear about it. To provide their customers with the confident that a feature sold with the bike is indeed installed.. Basic common sense!
BMW Controls and Radio for a 2020 R1250RT - YouTube See about 8min and 40 seconds into the video!!! Regards!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
Okay, to all of you who have been supporting me:
Earlier in the morning I headed to my local BMW dealer and they re-flashed/re-installed FW/SW. Now the "Setting" menu shows the "DTC" option as it should have all along (See attached photos).

Question that still remains in my mind for which I still do not have a clear answer is why now that "DTC" shows up, "ASC" disappeared altogether. At least from the "Setting" menu!
Dealer says something along that "DTC" by default includes "ASC", but I am not fully convinced as those two are two distinct features, both of which are covered in the operating manual.

But overall I am satisfied that for the most part it appears that SW/FW was corrected.

Total cost was about $130.00 which I can leave with.

Again, thank you all!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
ASC - automatic stability control - is a basic function within DTC - dynamic traction control. ASC is the basic version, DTC builds on top of that for higher performance. ASC helps prevent you from crashing and allows traction control during cornering and (I think) wheelie/stoppie prevention. DTC takes it a step further, and allows a certain degree of slip for advanced riding, and "wheelie control" - you can carry a small (3 inch?) wheelie under extreme power starts in one of the modes... Don't ask me how I know this.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Okay r0ckrat, I'll accept that ASC is a subset of DTC.I can live with that! So now if I turn DTC either on or off, does that means that by default ASC will also be turned on or off? Again, that kind of detailed explanation is in my mind is not sufficiently articulated by the manufacturer (BMW), anywhere that I know off!!!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Yes, if you turn off DTC it turns off dtc+asc.

The levels of DTC are controlled via Riding Modes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

41 - 51 of 51 Posts