BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a long shot but does anybody have any suggestion were this is from.
I pushed the bike of it centre stand and this fell off.
It was found on the left hand side of the bike if you are sitting on it.
I have been all over the bike and can't find any missing fasteners.
Cheers
UKBB

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,007 Posts
It’s one of the hidden body panel screws. If they’re all there, the technician must have dropped one, couldn’t find it, so grabbed a replacement. So rather than a missing fastener, looks like you have a spare fastener.

·
Super Moderator
5,007 Posts
I recently replaced the battery in my iPhone and there was a spare screw inside. I triple checked everything to ensure it wasn’t my mistake, but no - a free screw from Apple.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I recently replaced the battery in my iPhone and there was a spare screw inside. I triple checked everything to ensure it wasn’t my mistake, but no - a free screw from Apple.
I feel like I get a free screw from Apple every time I use my iPhone with the broken home button that would cost more to repair than a new phone.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ive just completed a 130mile ride and nothing has fallen off.:D
I nearly got knocked off :mad: and i have had another good search while washing it.
So you could well be right Panz a BMW freebie, i shall find a prominent place in my workshop to display this rare curiositie.

·
Super Moderator
5,007 Posts
@sturgeon, there are plenty of YouTube videos on how to replace iPhone components (much to Apple's chagrin) and parts are available cheaply on eBay (again, much to Apple's chagrin). A new Lightning port cost me less than $10, for example.

This video shows the Home Button replacement for my phone. The main things are to use proper tools, don't try to do it as quickly as the video, and have a sheet of paper as a screw template so you don't mix up the screws; I used double-sided tape on mine to ensure no unexpected circumstances, like a sneeze, could mix them up.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
@sturgeon, there are plenty of YouTube videos on how to replace iPhone components (much to Apple's chagrin) and parts are available cheaply on eBay (again, much to Apple's chagrin). A new Lightning port cost me less than $10, for example.

This video shows the Home Button replacement for my phone. The main things are to use proper tools, don't try to do it as quickly as the video, and have a sheet of paper as a screw template so you don't mix up the screws; I used double-sided tape on mine to ensure no unexpected circumstances, like a sneeze, could mix them up.
The professional iPhone repair guys I've talked to say it's difficult-to-impossible to repair the fingerprint scanner Touch ID function, which is the part I liked the most. I figure if they can't or won't do it, a visually-challenged klutz like me wouldn't stand a chance. I'm much more suited to repairing my lawn mower engine. And I can cope with an on-screen home button, which I've been doing for a year or so. Maybe I'll replace it when the Pixel 4a comes out. I usually switch back and forth between IOS and Android every other phone. Why, you might ask? Because I can :geek:

·
Super Moderator
5,007 Posts
Good idea to do the OS "switcheroo"
I'm kinda locked in. My iPhones are hand-me-downs from Kate and I have an iPad. We share calendars, shopping lists etc between us via our devices, which is very handy - too hard to switch now.

PS This is a classic thread hijack – and no cats or dogs were harmed in the process. 😁

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Good idea to do the OS "switcheroo" (sorry, Aussie vernacular) between phones sturgeon, good way to keep your hand in on both perplexing platforms.
IT guy (networking) since early 1970's - long retired but still have that crazy nerd curiousity about new tech and how it works. Jack of all computing systems, master of none, as it were.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I'm kinda locked in. My iPhones are hand-me-downs from Kate and I have an iPad. We share calendars, shopping lists etc between us via our devices, which is very handy - too hard to switch now.

PS This is a classic thread hijack – and no cats or dogs were harmed in the process. 😁
Jennifer is a staunch Android phone user with a couple of iPads. She has to support all that stuff as part of her job. She's sitting right behind me as I type this, working from home with a Windows laptop with extra screen, an Apple laptop, two iPads, and her Pixel phone, somehow communicating simultaneously via Webex, Teams, Zoom, Google Meet, and office telephony via Skype-for-business. I wear noise-cancelling headphones, listening to Amy Winehouse on high volume, to drown it all out.

Calendars are easily shared when they're in the G-cloud. Joint shopping lists here are old-school - recycled strips of paper stuck to the fridge with a magnet.

I swear one of my cats is responsible for breaking my iPhone home button, trying to hack my thumbprint so he could prank call the other one.

Hijack complete!

Back on topic, while changing an air filter many years ago, I found not one, but a half-dozen, unused head bolts nestled in the V of a V6 car I once owned. Must've been a Monday build.

·
Registered
38 Posts
@sturgeon - Did the home button fail after another repair, and then a software update, perchance? I remember reading about an issue where a service was performed, but the original scanner button was replaced along with the screen, and after the software update the button quit scanning. (Or was it the original button was kept, and the new button that came with the screen was discarded? Now I don't remember...)

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
@sturgeon - Did the home button fail after another repair, and then a software update, perchance? I remember reading about an issue where a service was performed, but the original scanner button was replaced along with the screen, and after the software update the button quit scanning. (Or was it the original button was kept, and the new button that came with the screen was discarded? Now I don't remember...)
No - it just failed one day for no apparent reason. I think that was/is not uncommon on those phones with a physical Home button. No prior repairs or service, although I keep it up-to-date software-wise. I'm not particularly gentle with stuff like that, so undoubtedly my fault. At least that's what my partner would say. The physical button failed, and of course the scanner died along with it. There's a workaround for the button; it's the use of the scanner that I miss. I used to pay for almost everything using the NFC chip in the phone, but that's more awkward without a fingerprint scanner, so I've reverted to an old-school plastic credit card.

I still have a much older working iPhone 4S, albeit with a fading battery that I can't be bothered replacing, and a Google Nexus 4? that is still in good working order, that I used to use when travelling to other countries, just because my local service provider used to screw me royally on roaming charges. It's earmarked to be my Motoscan tool if I ever get around to buying the extra hardware.

I travelled so much, it was worth having a spare unlocked phone to use with a local-to-where-I-was SIM. So I have hardware backup in the unlikely event that the broken iPhone dies completely and I actually have a need for a phone. It's funny - that need seems to be diminishing over time. What I mostly use it for these days is as a WiFi hotspot for a laptop or tablet. 4G mobile networking is a lot faster than most public WiFi and a lot more secure. I receive or make maybe one phone call a month on the thing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts