BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy Ryan at Slappin' Vinyl made me up some R1200 decals for the GS - let's just say they weren't dealer priced lol. Nice to have a buddy in the graphics biz - this is about the 10th custom thing for bike's he's done for me.

Yes, he made the club logo on my windshield. And reflective racing stripes and numbers on my R. And the graphics on the Vespa in reflective vinyl. And a bunch of other stuff.

His prices are silly, and he'll make anything you like.

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Fuel tank

I may have a problem...

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive lighting Vehicle

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The R added in some subtle blue accents, reflective wheel striping, custom red R's in reflective tape for the fenders and the 5 in Speed Racer style for the fairing and windshields.

The Vespa is striped in mod style numbers sides and front with a couple pops on the tail. They're in Oracal engineer grade mustard yellow, which stops trains its so bright at night - but looks like standard vinyl in day.

My design style always leans towards inconspicuous conspicuity. I want the reflective to look like it's part of the OEM vinyl scheme for the bike, and not look like the dorky back end of a dump truck. Subtle by day with normal styling, but highly visible at night where you're most vulnerable.

Like I said, my sticker guy is pretty good lol

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP w/sport & 2019 R nineT SCR
50 Posts
Looks sharp...nice collection of 2-wheelers. I just added a GS to my fleet to match my R.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love my GS. It's become my daily driver. The R as actually being sold.

The Vespa, which I bought on a lark for my wife, has turned out to be more fun than I could have ever imagined.

I did a jet job on it, put racing suspension on it, couple little carburetor adjustments, in the stupid thing will do 70 miles an hour on a 12 horsepower motor.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Tire Wheel Fuel tank

This one started its life as a Honda Sabre 1100, which I cut the sides of the tank off to enlarge it, put a dragger rear fender with Frenched in lights on it, and had a Miami style custom paint job done on it in about 2006. That bike was a hoot as well.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I did notice the Vespa wasn't too stock looking. And yes, they are blast to ride around with and park for local nite out/quick errands. Got the Mrs a Vino50, which she had a hoot with.

I had initially avoided the GS and went with a R9T Scrambler at first, just for the access to day ride and tons of gravel in NOVA. But then realized it's short coming for multi-day and more technical terrain even with the Ohlins upgrade. So it's going to get sold, as between the GS and R I can rip and tour on any type of surface, with each setup for more specifically for their terrain type and usage.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, I'm here in Montgomery County and most of my boys are in Fairfax, so we're probably riding a lot of the same roads.

I put 20,000 miles in this area on the R in under two years, it's absolutely fantastic, and when riding on roads like 211 and 33 you can border on felony without a lot of effort.

But the GS is just exponentially better for the variety of stuff I do and for things like moto camping.

Mind you, my R has been places it's not meant for many times...
Water Helmet Automotive tire Outdoor recreation Sports equipment

·
Registered
50 Posts
Awesome photo.. And yes my R as seen its fair share off pavement usage as well, especially out in Loudoun Cnty. But yes, sounds like we may have crossed paths as some point.

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Awesome photo.. And yes my R as seen its fair share off pavement usage as well, especially out in Loudoun Cnty. But yes, sounds like we may have crossed paths as some point.
Shoot me a note - we should ride sometime

1 - 12 of 12 Posts