BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got bored today and went out and chopped off about 40 percent or so of my old muffler.

What it used to look like

Amount I cut off

Ready for polish

I'll make a video soon and will be for sale after that. I have to do some polishing to spruce her up. It was too quiet before so this should help.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
All I can say is. . it's a good thing you didn't specialize in circumcisions. . . . .

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
I have to do some polishing to spruce her up.
I'll make a video soon and will be for sale after that.
??? Which half ? :dizzy: just kidding

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Wait a minute, where is that cool (almost as cool as mine) undertail one????

Can you show us a picture of the short version on the bike???

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wait a minute, where is that cool (almost as cool as mine) undertail one????

Can you show us a picture of the short version on the bike???

Sorry got a little off track with getting the shorty mounted. I was taking the undertail off and found a lot of damage from the tire hitting the muffler. Sooo, for now I will have the shorty. I had to paint a mounting piece and get new bolts to get the shorty mounted. I haven't ridden it with it yet but it sounds pretty good so far.

Unfortunately until I figure out a bump stop or new Ohlins I will have to a lame side mount :001_tt2:.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Sorry got a little off track with getting the shorty mounted. I was taking the undertail off and found a lot of damage from the tire hitting the muffler. Sooo, for now I will have the shorty. I had to paint a mounting piece and get new bolts to get the shorty mounted. I haven't ridden it with it yet but it sounds pretty good so far.

Unfortunately until I figure out a bump stop or new Ohlins I will have to a lame side mount :001_tt2:.
That sucks, I guess that is why the R1200S had it all the way up.

Can you show us some pictures of your result?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Vids fine on my iPad. Never been a great lover though of dead short cans Just looks unbalanced IMO. But hey, what ever floats your boat mate. If we were all the same what a bloody boring place it would be eh.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dogs- my old sig was if we all liked the same thing that would be one tired woman. I understand your point and fought with it for a while also. Already sold Clem my stock unit so this is my option right now. The curiousity of it to me is what it will be like to ride. I think it will be a lot louder which is okay I think. I've been wearing ear plugs or noise canceling earbuds anyway just from wind noise is my helmet.

hoshiko- been thinking about the r1100s and had a couple thoughts.

Seems like they run a single smaller pipe along the inside of the rear left side of the tail to the muffler. One of my design flaws may be that it enters the muffler in the center instead of a side but the issue is just the balance of the weight I guess as the undertail puts more weight above its center and to one side seems to compound the issue. Which may not be a noticeable issue, I'm not signing up for motogp any day soon.

Other thought is being a sportier bike, the suspension is probably a bit stiffer and would essentially give more room for the muffler. Maybe someone out there has pics of their old r1100s or has one in the garage that can tell me if they have a bump stop or anything like that to restrict the upward travel?

Irregardless, just over a year until my warranty is void and thinking I should start saving my pennies for the turbo(s) and stick with the shorty since I will be hacking at my exhaust again then also. One thing I just thought of also is I may not even have a muffler per say with the boosted setup. Thinking bi turbo just for weight balance sake.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
I'd say it's a good start. I would consider black anodizing and tilting it up at a higher angle.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
hoshiko- been thinking about the r1100s and had a couple thoughts.

Seems like they run a single smaller pipe along the inside of the rear left side of the tail to the muffler. One of my design flaws may be that it enters the muffler in the center instead of a side but the issue is just the balance of the weight I guess as the undertail puts more weight above its center and to one side seems to compound the issue. Which may not be a noticeable issue, I'm not signing up for motogp any day soon.

Other thought is being a sportier bike, the suspension is probably a bit stiffer and would essentially give more room for the muffler. Maybe someone out there has pics of their old r1100s or has one in the garage that can tell me if they have a bump stop or anything like that to restrict the upward travel?

Irregardless, just over a year until my warranty is void and thinking I should start saving my pennies for the turbo(s) and stick with the shorty since I will be hacking at my exhaust again then also. One thing I just thought of also is I may not even have a muffler per say with the boosted setup. Thinking bi turbo just for weight balance sake.

:icon_scratch::icon_scratch::icon_scratch::icon_scratch::icon_scratch::icon_scratch::icon_scratch::icon_scratch::icon_scratch::icon_scratch:

I wish I knew anyone with such bike, I can see any kind of stop from the pictures on the net.

Without knowing what I'm talking about, is there a possibility that you can just make a flatter exhaust at all??? Same volume just instead of perfectly round, make it oval??

First, don't know if that is possible, or could affect the bike, second, I don't know if that could give enough space for the suspension to travel without touching it.

·
Registered
109 Posts
:icon_scratch::icon_scratch::icon_scratch::icon_scratch::icon_scratch::icon_scratch::icon_scratch::icon_scratch::icon_scratch::icon_scratch:

I

Without knowing what I'm talking about, is there a possibility that you can just make a flatter exhaust at all??? Same volume just instead of perfectly round, make it oval??

First, don't know if that is possible, or could affect the bike, second, I don't know if that could give enough space for the suspension to travel without touching it.

I have sold most of the farkles from 650 Vstrom except for the Akrapovic. Well, it is almost oval, sorta diamond shaped. I have thought of keeping it to play with on 1200R..........the devil's advocate friends say I will hurt the bike as exhaust systems are tuned bike specific. Others say it is just a can and don't worry. I certainly do not want to hurt bike or void warranty. Are either a possibility?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is only a couple considerations, is the opening and interior diameter at least 2"? Also you will need to figure out how you are going to strap it to the bike whether modifying what came with it or doing some backyard engineering. As long as the interior of the perforated part of the pipe is no smaller than .25" than stock, there is no reason it would adversely affect the performance. It's actually better to be necked down pre exit, it's called the venturi effect but you don't want much. Assuming you are only doing the slip on, you don't NEED to re map. A lot of people have luck with the booster plug.

You will also need to figure out a pipe to go from the flapper to the muffler and don't forget about the tab to rest the center stand on. Good Luck, post dimensions and pics of the akra if you are unsure. Your friends are somewhat correct as far as the pipe needs to be able to flow as much air as before but it's far from rocket science. mufflers don't know what bike they are on, just ask it. :alucard:

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks Classic for the encouragement. I "should" have the bike this week, although I should have had it last week, too. Only thing lacking to be installed before pick up is the Ztechnic Windscreen. Shipped over a week ago!!!!!

The only thing I didn't understand from your Exhaust lesson was the flapper, which I am sure will show itself when the time comes.

I will keep you posted when bike is in my shop.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The flapper valve is the piece where you unclamp the stock exhaust. It opens with the throttle much like a throttle body to give backpressure for low end response. There are two cables running to it that control the opening and closing. I would recommend leaving it on there.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Okay, here are the I.D. measurements of the '13 stock RR and the Akra from Vstrom:

RR 2 1/8" in, 1 5/8" out

Akra 2 1/32 in, 1 5/16" out

Obviously they are close on the inlet side. The big diff is on the outlet. I have no trouble experimenting, I just don't want to hurt my one week new bike with 1,300 miles. Just had dealer do first service yesterday.

I called Akrapovic in California and they (of course) would not commit to saying it would be ok.

My motivation is aesthetics although I am curious about the sound. At this time I do feel a need to gain HP.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts