BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I got this mint 2008 5 kmiles r1200r, as a gift from my job. I would never have bought this bike miself, but here it is, all shiny and new (almost).

All my previous bikes were early eghties low budget bikes; xs1100, cb900c, gd750t (current ride), gs850, gs650, etc.. I feel weird associating myself with BMW, an icone of financial success and capitalism, its like i'm walking down the street wearing a tuxedo, it feels like I don't fit with the bike... weird eh?
I wonder if arriving at work with this bike will change my friends and co-workers perception about me and if that this will create a "distance", I hope not...
Anyways, the bike looks great, and a part of me is excited about owning it.

I'm looking for ways to save on maintenece fees etc, any advice is welcome!

What is the best DIY maintence manual for this model?

btw, sorry for the spelling mistakes if any, my first lanuage is french..

·
Registered
338 Posts
Salut,

Congrats on getting this awesome bike. The bike is fantastic and you'll love it the more you ride it.

It seems you're very worried about what everyone else is going to think? Just enjoy the bike. If they are truly your friends they'd be happy for you. :)

Happy Riding.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Salut,

It seems you're very worried about what everyone else is going to think? Just enjoy the bike. If they are truly your friends they'd be happy for you. :)

Happy Riding.
:iagree:

Hi, I got this mint 2008 5 kmiles r1200r, as a gift from my job. I would never have bought this bike miself, but here it is, all shiny and new (almost).

All my previous bikes were early eghties low budget bikes; xs1100, cb900c, gd750t (current ride), gs850, gs650, etc.. I feel weird associating myself with BMW, an icone of financial success and capitalism, its like i'm walking down the street wearing a tuxedo, it feels like I don't fit with the bike... weird eh?
I wonder if arriving at work with this bike will change my friends and co-workers perception about me and if that this will create a "distance", I hope not...
Anyways, the bike looks great, and a part of me is excited about owning it.
First of, are they looking to hire at your job??? It's pretty nice of them to give you such a nice gift, I'm sure you are good at what you do in order to get this thing so, go out and show the world your hard work.

Unless you ride some kind of bike that you made yourself from scratch metal parts collected at a dumpster, all the bikes you mentioned are part of capitalism, as well as the computer you used to make this thread.

If you are so worried, just buy a can of black paint and vandalized the bike, it will still be the best ride, just won't look like new.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Vélos BMW sont très forts et très durables. Apportez-le à un mécanicien pour inspection. Il va durer éternellement. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll just get used to the idea of having an expensive classy motorcycle, ans stop thinking about it. I dont know much about the r1200r. I read that it is a good all around bike, that it is geared shorter than other bmws and this produces more acceleration but at the same time it produces a buzz in the habdlebars at about exactly the rpm required for long distance travel :001_unsure:
I'm allready looking for bar end weights cause I dislike handlebar vibrations. Being a musician I can not afford the nerve endings in my hands to become numb.
Apart from that I just think that it looks marvelous. Can I put regular gas in there, or does the bike roll only on premium?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vélos BMW sont très forts et très durables. Apportez-le à un mécanicien pour inspection. Il va durer éternellement. :)

Je l'espere bien! Merci!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts