BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had my break-in service today and schedule the Motobozzo lights to be installed as well. I sent a PDF of the instructions prior to the maintenance so they could review them.

After about 2 hours the tech comes out and tells me that since the instructions are to splice into the wiring harness plug from the light, it could void my warranty and probably would if there were electrical issues. The reason I had scheduled them to do the work was so the work would be warrantied :eek:

The only method they had to splice the wires was to use the inline trailer type plastic connecters that have the little metal piece that splices the wires. So I had him leave the battery connection unhooked and the wires to the headlight wrapped up. Cost of this work $200 :(

I guess I will be finishing the installation myself. I going to order some Posi Taps and have some questions. Hopefully someone can help.

Is the wire 18 gauge? I want to make sure I order the correct taps. Also where have others tapped into the wires. On the wires outside of the rubber boot that covers the connector to the lamp or inside of the boot (there doesn't appear to be much room). I assume if you plug the green wire vs the purple wire into the relay the lights will be off at start up. Is that true?

Thanks

·
Registered
27 Posts
i used posi taps when i installed my motobozzo lights but not sure what gage the wire is. i had some posi taps laying around in a drawer and just used whatever seemed like it would work. i wired mine exactly as per the instructions so they come on when the bike is started.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just spliced mine in with solder and shrink wrap. So far, couldnt be better
las I assume you spliced the wires outside of the rubber boot that protects where the wires enter the connector plug?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I too used solder and shrink wrap. I pulled back the rubber boot, soldered the wires, and pulled the boot back. I then used some heavy duty plumbing tape--it's like a black clay that's rolled like tape. I sealed everthing up at the open end of the boot with that stuff. It was all pretty neat looking and concealed from view when everything was back in place. I'm confident it's secure and water-tight, and works great. The MotoBozzo lights are awesome. You'll love them.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The MotoBozzo lights are awesome, they do a great job and look like they are factory.

One question I have, is anyone else going through bulbs at an alarming rate? :) Every 4500 miles to 5000 miles a bulb dies and I need to replace it. Yesterday second bulb went and tonight I bought two replacements as the other won't be far behind.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I only burned one, but I've just run into bad electrical issues that (of course) BMW believes were caused by these aux lights. Doesn't seem credible, but repair bill will be well over £500. Just wanted to pass this on incase there's any link between issues with the VFE and these aux lights. They ran just fine for over a year without issues, so in my view that confirms that the VFE may have had another problem.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
I used the inline splice connectors you mentioned. I hid all the splices inside the headlamp housing to give them a bit of weather protection. I haven't had any problems with this method of connection. It's been that way for two years. I've had to replace headlights, and when I remove the headlamp from the housing and looked at the wiring, it's been clean and undamaged.

I wanted my lights to be yellow, so I replaced the light bulbs that came with the kit with Hoen 70W yellow bulbs. Looking at Hoen's website, however, they don't offer those any longer. I mention this because the stock bulbs were 55W, and I upgraded to 70W with no ill effects. YMMV, of course.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just got round to installing my motobozzos they look great ... I’m going to re write the instructions for them as it wasn’t super easy to follow.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts