BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Why not just get some 3M velcro tape and mount it under your seat?

I thought most states stopped using those exterior plate style passes since they were easily stolen.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Hey goo,
I have the "normal" one, and I was also worried it would be stolen, so, I painted it silver and put it on the windshield frame, so far it works, and you won't be able to see it right away.

Not sure the under seat idea will work, plus in most places in NY, there are few police officers just waiting to give you a ticket, if for some reason your pass is not detected, you will get a ticket if it's under the seat, or anywhere else besides out in the bike. (I got one for having it on my jacket)

They also sell those holders but they are really ugly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
I was looking at the NY state EZ Pass page (that is where I originally got mine, from the NYS Throughway Authority, and that's where my account is set up), and I saw something about a specific tag for motorcycles. It seemed to be a small one for bikes, and not like that mount mentioned before. Anyone have experience with one of these smaller motorcycle-style tags?

BTW, that under windshield mount looks pretty cool!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Hey goo,
I have the "normal" one, and I was also worried it would be stolen, so, I painted it silver and put it on the windshield frame, so far it works, and you won't be able to see it right away.

Not sure the under seat idea will work, plus in most places in NY, there are few police officers just waiting to give you a ticket, if for some reason your pass is not detected, you will get a ticket if it's under the seat, or anywhere else besides out in the bike. (I got one for having it on my jacket)
Might be a state-by-state thing. In Illinois you technically do not have to carry the pass for motorcycles. If you have your plate registered to your device they will poll your account when the plate comes up in violation and no foul will be issued.

I can also confirm that under the seat will register though, at least for the iPass.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
I was looking at the NY state EZ Pass page (that is where I originally got mine, from the NYS Throughway Authority, and that's where my account is set up), and I saw something about a specific tag for motorcycles. It seemed to be a small one for bikes, and not like that mount mentioned before. Anyone have experience with one of these smaller motorcycle-style tags?

BTW, that under windshield mount looks pretty cool!
the only difference is the "M" on the pass, it's the same size. ( at least here in NYC)

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Ez pass in NYC has come out with a new, smaller transponder for cars and for bikes; but you can't order one, specifically. They are given out randomly as old passes are replaced or new ones issued to new accounts. It's pretty much luck of the draw. I got one and lost it. I ordered a replacement and got one of the old ones. I asked that it be replaced with the small new one; but was told that they are can't be sure that I would get a small one if I returned the big one.
BTW- I now have mine mounted on the underside of the top part of my top case with the "m" facing up. it works perfectly.
I had originally ordered one of the exterior license plate mounted transponders and had it mounted between the front forks with zip ties like Goo has. It worked great and looked ok on my Classic. I got the idea from friends in New Jersey. Unfortunately, I quickly learned that ez pass NY will not give the motorcycle discount when these are mounted on bikes- they say they are for cars only. Ridiculous. NJ ez pass gives its bikers the discount. When I figured this out, I returned the exterior pass and got the small one that I lost as a replacement.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Ez pass in NYC has come out with a new, smaller transponder for cars and for bikes; but you can't order one, specifically. They are given out randomly as old passes are replaced or new ones issued to new accounts. It's pretty much luck of the draw. I got one and lost it. I ordered a replacement and got one of the old ones. I asked that it be replaced with the small new one; but was told that they are can't be sure that I would get a small one if I returned the big one.
BTW- I now have mine mounted on the underside of the top part of my top case with the "m" facing up. it works perfectly.
I had originally ordered one of the exterior license plate mounted transponders and had it mounted between the front forks with zip ties like Goo has. It worked great and looked ok on my Classic. I got the idea from friends in New Jersey. Unfortunately, I quickly learned that ez pass NY will not give the motorcycle discount when these are mounted on bikes- they say they are for cars only. Ridiculous. NJ ez pass gives its bikers the discount. When I figured this out, I returned the exterior pass and got the small one that I lost as a replacement.
I just ordered a transponder for my bike from NY; hopefully it will be one of the small ones!

I don't have a top case, but if I mount it inside of one of my side cases, it'll work fine.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
It will wok fine if the transponder is mounted inside the case with the side of the transponder that has the velcro strips pointing straight up.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
EZ Pass

Is it legal to use the EZ Pass on more than one vehicle? ie: Can you use it on the R1200R and you car? In Japan we must register a separate unit for each vehicle.
Here is what the transponder/trigger unit looks like on a motorcycle.

The larger body control unit is hard mounted under the seat to keep a neat appearance and for theft protection.

The multicolor LED can be mounted (optional) to alert the rider of the unit's functional status.
Toll charges are linked to your charge card, and show up on your VISA statement.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
That's a neat rig, Clem. More high tech than the EZPass.

You have to have a separate transponder for each vehicle. The transponder is linked to the license plate number. I suppose if you only wanted to use one transponder, you could go online every time and change the plate number associated with it, but that's a bit of a pain. I know that if you use a credit card to pay your tolls, the NYS Throughway Authority waives the $10 transponder fee.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
I know that if you use a credit card to pay your tolls, the NYS Throughway Authority waives the $10 transponder fee.
LOL!!!
Don't know if it's more high-tech or not. ??? Just more expensive.
The motorcycle unit cost me $360 and mandatory installion at govt. authorized bike shop is another $300.
Cager 4-wheel units don't have to be water-proof. Mount on dash, inside windshield. Costs can be cheap as $100 unit plus $50 installation.

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Holy cow, that is expensive!

I looked at the website, and I was slightly wrong; the transponder fee is waived IF you use your credit card to automatically replenish your toll account. If you just pay straight up, you have to pay.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Some people do use their passes on multiple vehicles; when I travel, I often take my ez pass for the rental car. It works fine. They don't care about the license plate unless the transponder doesn't read. If the owner of the vehicle that they learn from the plate has an ez pass account, they will bill that owner. Note that, if you use a transponder issued for a car, you won't get the motorcycle discount at tolls when you are on your bike- and you should not use a transponder issued for a motorcycle in a car since the toll for bikes is less than what a car is charged.

·
Registered
265 Posts
You have to have a separate transponder for each vehicle. The transponder is linked to the license plate number. I suppose if you only wanted to use one transponder, you could go online every time and change the plate number associated with it, but that's a bit of a pain. I know that if you use a credit card to pay your tolls, the NYS Throughway Authority waives the $10 transponder fee.
In Illinois for the iPass you can have as many vehicles you want assigned to an iPass. You just input a make, model and license # into an account form.

You can also have multiple iPasses associated with a single account for family use. So all of the vehicles and passes are charged to an account, not a device.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I know that if you use a credit card to pay your tolls, the NYS Throughway Authority waives the $10 transponder fee.
LOL!!!
Don't know if it's more high-tech or not. ??? Just more expensive.
The motorcycle unit cost me $360 and mandatory installion at govt. authorized bike shop is another $300.
Cager 4-wheel units don't have to be water-proof. Mount on dash, inside windshield. Costs can be cheap as $100 unit plus $50 installation.
Holly Crap!! :censored:

If it was $360 and $300 I'd just make everyone wait behind me while I remove my gloves, open my side case to get my wallet and then the reverse again :devil: $660 buys a lot of farkles.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts