BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, my farkle order came in today with the gas cap ring, a couple of swingarm chrome covers, and helmet speakers. The question is what does one do with all the extra wire between the helmet leads, and given there is a jack at the end and an external plug and volume control, does one drill a hole in the helmet for the jack, let it hang down the side, what?

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Hey Dave,
I just put the extra wire under the rubber on the bottom of the helmet, after more then a year, I haven't have any problems with it.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Hoshiko! Are you supposed to drill a hole in the helmet to feed the jack out, or just run it down the bottom of the helmet?

·
Premium Member
2,023 Posts
+1 on drilling holes. I used to just tuck the trailing wire under under the edge at the back of the helmet.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, we are the Wikipedia of the r1200r! :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
When I installed the speakers that came with my SMH5 I pulled the helmet liner out until I hit the shell. The SMH5 fits to the left side of my helmet and I burried the wires from the mic and speakers under the liner. I held the wires in place with some tape. Once its all reinstalled it is clean and the wires are not visible.

Also, it took me a while to find the right position for the speakers so don't put them in place and put all the liner etc. back as it took me 6 or 7 tries before I found the optimum location. It is easy, just takes trial and error. :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Dave, I would avoid drilling the helmet. You might consider sound-isolating ear buds and wireless bluetooth. I connect to the Navigator IV GPS with this set up and get turning instructions through the headphones and also listen to music or audiobooks loaded in the GPS flash card. I also preserve my hearing.

The headphones are made by Etymotic (ER6is) and have various shaped ends that conform to your ear canals. They even offer custom molded tips. Once you find the mold that fits, it's like seashell silence. I can't hear what my wife is saying five feet away. Have to read her lips. Even if you stream no audio through these amazing ear plugs, they act as ear protection. The key is getting that tight fit in the canal.

For the wireless, the best part is that you never have to remember to unplug anything before dismounting. You plug the headphones into a Bluetooth dog tag worn around the neck (Jabra BT-3030.) So the earbuds wires hand from the bottom of the helmet, down the neck and plug in to the dog tag hanging around your neck under your jacket. The dog tag, which has 8-hour battery life that recharges via micro USB, receives audio from the Navi IV. And it's in stereo. The dog tag can also stream from a mobile phone with Bluetooth A2DP, such as the iPhone.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Web, Interesting. When I'm finished paying off the IRS, I will look into bluetooth farkles. . .:)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
The headphones are made by Etymotic (ER6is)
Alast, the ER6i s are no more.
The closest replacement is the MC5, also by Etymotic. They stick out a little farther though and get caught when I remove my helmet.
I am not looking any farther yet though. They'll do for now.

But helmet speakers do nothing for wind noise, right? So, while trying to listen there is the roar of the wind?

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
But helmet speakers do nothing for wind noise, right? So, while trying to listen there is the roar of the wind?
That's true, but it works. I use a bluetooth helmet with speakers built in, because I don't like earbuds in my ears while I'm riding. Just a personal preference.

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
I like the cut of her jib
Oh RRRR…do you think that's Jules Verne on the front? or has it got that stem punk theme going on. Dr Dave will love this.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You are one kinky R owner Erin. :)

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
That's true, but it works. I use a bluetooth helmet with speakers built in, because I don't like earbuds in my ears while I'm riding. Just a personal preference.
I purchased a Schuberth C3 Pro and their Bluetooth SRC system in hopes the alleged quietness of the helmet would allow me to leave my ears unprotected but unfortunately, while the helmet is significantly quieter, I still get enough wind noise to warrant wearing ear protection again. I haven't tried listening to music through the helmet speakers while wearing ear plugs yet, but I'm hoping its audible. If not, I'll probably ditch the SRC and go with websterize's solution. That way Ill have both the protection I want and be able to hear directions and music from my Nav IV.

I wasn't aware of the Jabra BT-3030 and appreciate that info.

2bob

·
Registered
139 Posts
I too spent mucho dollars on the BMW System 6 Evo helmets and the BMW Communicator system and to say I am underwhelmed is an understatement.
I too wear earplugs in my case they are specially moulded ones from a company in Aus called Earmold. Whilst the system works well enough and the intercom functions OK it is just loud enough to compensate for the isolation of the earplugs. The music volume is audible but not great quality and certainly not very loud. After parting with the best part of AU$3000 for two helmets and two communicators I feel ripped off, I expected better. My earmolds with tiny speakers and my old autocom intercom worked a lot better and was plenty loud enough, only downside was the cables as it was powered by the bike.
Yes bluetooth is great no wires but volume could be better and SQ could be better too. The system does work well with the Bluetooth on my RT and the pillion does get stereo sound as well. It all fits in the cavities of the helmet padding too but boy do you pay for that integration, maybe in the next incarnation things will be better, probably have to sell the other kidney to pay for it though...

Teddy

·
Registered
45 Posts
I purchased a Schuberth C3 Pro and their Bluetooth SRC system in hopes the alleged quietness of the helmet would allow me to leave my ears unprotected but unfortunately, while the helmet is significantly quieter, I still get enough wind noise to warrant wearing ear protection again. I haven't tried listening to music through the helmet speakers while wearing ear plugs yet, but I'm hoping its audible.
I've got the standard C3 + SRC system and was concerned about wearing ear plugs on longer journeys - but, no problems at all. If anything, music & GPS are clearer as the wind noise is much diminished but sound gets through with a little extra volume. I didn't have any ringing in the airs after several hours so the sound volume wasn't "dangerous"

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I didn't have any ringing in the airs after several hours so the sound volume wasn't "dangerous"
The damage can build over time and may not be noticeable until it is. Those little hairs have a lot of redundancy, but not infinitely so. Turning the volume louder than wind noise compounds the potential for damage.
I fashion my own buds with Moldex/Leight/MRI foam buds w 32/33 NR over the speaker trumpet. Wind noise is mostly gone and I can still hear important sounds of traffic. Also, the low freq purr of the engine seems to get through at a very acceptable volume.

Takeaway is ear protection is very important and more important than music--though they both can coexist. Where hearing falls in the foodchain of your senses is personal, but hearing is on my shortlist. Turning up the volume to drown out wind noise trades short term gain for long term disability. This disability can accrue very subtly over time. You pays your money you takes your chances.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts