BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2013 BMW R1200R
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. Hoping for some input. In the process of upgrading suspension on my 2013 R1200R, and the new suspension is void of the plastic splash shield incorporated into the stock non ESA rear shock. The people that I am working with are recommending a hugger, but it appears to me that would be more of a remedy for a wet ass than preventing debris from trashing my new $1100 rear shock. I am thinking a mud sling would be more appropriate, but all that I am seeing online is Chinese stuff on Ebay (attached) with zip ties for attachments. Anyone else had to deal with this? Quality alternatives or suggestions appreciated.
Cheers

Attachments

· Registered
1,058 Posts

I know it doesn’t come for your year, but have you asked them if it can be made to fit? Anyone have success mounting one on an older bike?

· Retired In Beautiful Tennessee
1,895 Posts
FWIW had a Mudsling on my '18 R12GS, thought the twist ties a bit odd but looked fine and was effective.

Had an Ilmberger on my '09 R12R, beautiful carbon fiber and effective, big money and not sure if they're still available.

Got a Puig on my '12 R12R and like it, can't really recommend it though as others have suffered mount failures with bad results.

Pretty sure there's a few other huggers available for our Camhead Rs.

HTH a bit.

Best, Dave

· Super Moderator
3,401 Posts
I've had the MotoMachineArt Mudsling on my ‘17 R and worked well with no issues. Upgraded to a hugger from Wunderlich (expensive) and it's been on the bike for 3 years and is very well travelled. No cracks or issues that I can detect with the hugger but a lot of chat on Forums regarding hugger failures. I would buy another for my next bike but would stay clear of cheap Chinese knock-offs. If I had to say which one works the best to keep crude off the rear shock, I’d say Mudsling but there wouldn't be much in it between the two. However, the hugger provides better access to clean the rear underside frame/shock/swing arm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: dbyker

· Registered
R1200R DOHC 2011
92 Posts
I’ve mounted the Puig hugger and made an extra enlargement at the front as an extra protection for my rear shock.
Just make sure that with installation you first fasten the central bolt at the front.
This one has a spacer so the hugger is able to move when this bolt is fastened. Also I put some Staburag onthe spacer so it won’t corrode.
I will check each winter along with the check of the drive shaft if everything is still ok.
Tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive fuel system

Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior Tire

· Registered
3 Posts
Hello all. Hoping for some input. In the process of upgrading suspension on my 2013 R1200R, and the new suspension is void of the plastic splash shield incorporated into the stock non ESA rear shock. The people that I am working with are recommending a hugger, but it appears to me that would be more of a remedy for a wet ass than preventing debris from trashing my new $1100 rear shock. I am thinking a mud sling would be more appropriate, but all that I am seeing online is Chinese stuff on Ebay (attached) with zip ties for attachments. Anyone else had to deal with this? Quality alternatives or suggestions appreciated.
Cheers
I fitted a Mud Sling on my R1200R [2015] 6 years ago to protect the shockie from road debrie - sand / gravel. It fits snuggley and certainly protects the shockie. You could use stainless zip ties. I used my own zip ties (cable ties) and they havent let me down
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim Automotive lighting

1 - 8 of 8 Posts