BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On my 2017 RS I notice a stain or blotch on the RH inner end (inside) of the clear display lense. I initially thought it is moisture but closer exam makes me think it is a plastic deformity/melting of some kind as it appears permanent (ref photo below).

I’m wondering if other owners may have seen such, or has this kind of stain been mentioned previously.

Thank you, Selby.

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Hood Grille

· Registered
144 Posts
My 2017 R doesn't have that issue. But then I almost always never leave it parked directly in the sun and I never leave any chemicals (e.g. wash products) in contact with it for more than a couple of minutes.

If you pass your finger in the problematic area can you feel a texture or is it smooth? If it's smooth I'd bet the problem is actually the glue used to bond the lens with the dash. Which means the problem is likely caused by overexposure to sun, or it's some kind of manufacturing issue.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Serrge for replying to my question.

The flaw is in the under-surface of the lense (inside), between the lense and the next layer beneath. The outside is smooth and normal (the arc in the photo - left lower cnr - is a polish blemish). There are no other obvious marks on the display housing and otherwise all appears and operates as normal.

I am owner no. 2 of my RS, (purchased December 22 with 10,000km). I wouldn't like to think the machine has been living in the sun all its days, I hope not. There is no other sign of extensive sun ageing I can see. I will inquire of BMW to see whether there is precedent for such flaw. Thanks again.

Cheers, Selby

· Registered
2022 R1250RS his and hers
848 Posts
I remember some of the earlier R and RS liquid cooled bikes had problem with a bad dash seal and moisture would collect on the inside clear lens.
There's a repair kit with a new cover and seal. Part # 62 11 8 556 545
I don't remember if this was difficult to replace.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I remember some of the earlier R and RS liquid cooled bikes had problem with a bad dash seal and moisture would collect on the inside clear lens.
There a repair kit of a new cover and seal. Part # 62 11 8 556 545
Thanks for that Lee, I will investigate. :)

· Registered
2015 R1200R
19 Posts
This may be from water that got in there. Maybe the seal is bad.
I’ll spare you the details about how I know but on my 2015 R1200R there was a coating on the underside of that clear cover that gets cloudy and soft if it gets wet.
I used isopropyl alcohol to remove the coating and it’s been okay so far.
There are very small Torx screws (T6 or T7) that hold it onto the instrument pod and an o-ring seal.
If you get a new one, avoid getting it wet before it’s installed.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This may be from water that got in there. Maybe the seal is bad.
I’ll spare you the details about how I know but on my 2015 R1200R there was a coating on the underside of that clear cover that gets cloudy and soft if it gets wet.
I used isopropyl alcohol to remove the coating and it’s been okay so far.
There are very small Torx screws (T6 or T7) that hold it onto the instrument pod and an o-ring seal.
If you get a new one, avoid getting it wet before it’s installed.
Thanks very much Trek. That’s interesting and I will have a look. It may be an easier fix than I imagine.
Cheers, S

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's a repair kit with a new cover and seal. Part # 62 11 8 556 545
Thanks Lee, I can see online in Europe the kit price is ~ $US180 so I will have a closer look at Trek’s suggestion.

· Registered
BMW R1200RS LC 2016
9 Posts
On my 2017 RS I notice a stain or blotch on the RH inner end (inside) of the clear display lense. I initially thought it is moisture but closer exam makes me think it is a plastic deformity/melting of some kind as it appears permanent (ref photo below).

I’m wondering if other owners may have seen such, or has this kind of stain been mentioned previously.

Thank you, Selby.

View attachment 118326

· Registered
BMW R1200RS LC 2016
9 Posts
Hi there. I can help you out here from a bad experience. I ordered a new lens for my 2016 RS (scratched), and accidentally touched the inside when fitting it. There is an anti fog grease applied to the inside of the lens and I wrecked my new one by touching it. It appears that yours has somehow become compromised. I think you should show that to a dealer as I believe this should not happen. Even if your bike is out of warranty, this is not a normal fault. Hope that helps. Cheers.

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi there. I can help you out here from a bad experience. I ordered a new lens for my 2016 RS (scratched), and accidentally touched the inside when fitting it. There is an anti fog grease applied to the inside of the lens and I wrecked my new one by touching it. It appears that yours has somehow become compromised. I think you should show that to a dealer as I believe this should not happen. Even if your bike is out of warranty, this is not a normal fault. Hope that helps. Cheers.
Thanks for that Mark. I’m having new tyres fitted (on order) in the next week or two. I’ll certainly ask the dealer about it. It is a disappointing fault that I wouldn’t expect on quality bike like the BM. Not major but something I notice that shouldn’t be there.
Cheers, Selby

1 - 11 of 11 Posts