The spec will be as follows;

Dynamic ESA
Daytime Riding Light
Heated Grips
Tyre Pressure monitor
Cruise Control
Centre Stand
Valve Cover Guard

I’m also adding an SC Project end can, a Givi plate and 56ltr box.

So my question is are there any must have accessories I should consider?
Thinking of the followingat the mo......

Evotech radiator guard. £57.49

Evotech swingarm protection £22.99

Comments and help appreciated.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, I got the Evotech radiator guard and would recommend it.

I’ve also got the BMW sport windscreen and I like it.

BMW also do an anti-scratch glass cover for the dashboard screen. Order it and get it fitted by the dealer.

I would also recommend a Mudsling rear guard to protect the shock from crud.

If you haven’t ordered the LED indicators I would go for those.

Jack

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didn’t find wind blast a problem on my 2hr test ride.
So will see how it goes. But may fit the BMW small sport screen if I feel the need. I take it you find the little screen effective. I wouldn’t want to fit anything bigger as it would detract from the naked look.

BMW also do an anti-scratch glass cover for the dashboard screen. Order it and get it fitted by the dealer.
Is there a link for BMW accessories? Is the screen vulnerable to scratches?

I think standard indicators will do me.

Oh, my current bike is an FZS1000 gen1 by the way Fazerboy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I didn’t find wind blast a problem on my 2hr test ride.
So will see how it goes. But may fit the BMW small sport screen if I feel the need. I take it you find the little screen effective. I wouldn’t want to fit anything bigger as it would detract from the naked look.

Is there a link for BMW accessories? Is the screen vulnerable to scratches?

I think standard indicators will do me.

Oh, my current bike is an FZS1000 gen1 by the way Fazerboy.
I had a Gen 1 Fazer Thou many years ago!

The BMW small screen does not detract from the naked look in my opinion, and does help on longer blasts.

The screen protector is like those one can get for phone screens. Much cheaper to replace than a scratched or cracked screen. Doesn’t seem to show up as an accessory anywhere but the dealers can order them. They are custom-sized for the screen and have a neat BMW logo.

Despite what you say I would still recommend the LED indicators. They are brighter and quicker-reacting than the standard ones and have no bulbs to fail. They are smaller and look neater.

Jack

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Last time I bought a new bike was 2004 and it was my FZS1000.
Will ask the dealer about screen protectors.
Good to hear you find the small screen effective.
New to BMW. I’ve found Nippy Normans but find the web site a pain to navigate.

·
Super Moderator
4,992 Posts
The front of the engine tends to pick up abrasion from road debris (especially if you regularly ride unsealed roads, but not exclusively so).

Check forum threads on protectors.

Engine head covers can prevent a fail-to-proceed if you have a minor low-side, or scratching the covers if you have a parking lot tip-over. The most unobtrusive but effective seem to be the Machine-Art Moto covers, but you can go for crash bars.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The BMW sport screen is more effective than you would think and reasonably scratch resistant.

I also put an akra can on mine. The stock can is massive and in my mind detracts from the overall appearance of the bike.

In addition to the above I purchased some frame bungs to fill all those bolt locations on the frame.

The machine art covers are great just be careful when installing the lower securing bolts as they go in at a strange angle.

Above all else enjoy the experience!

Matt

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Gareth, when the bike turns up I would strongly suggest you wrap some insulating tape (or similar) around the cross bar on the main stand. They tend to get shot blasted by road grit and start to rust quite quickly.

·
Premium Member
552 Posts
+1 on the LED indicators, though I simply replaced the incandescent bulbs with CANBus compatible LED bulbs--way brighter.
Also +1 on the MaMo head guards.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the replies.

A fail to proceed Panzermann? That sounds serious! Anyway, I’ve got the OE BMW valve covers specified. Don’t fancy crash bars, ugly and maybe reduce ground clearance. Speaking of which I’m assuming the pegs will touch down before the cylinder heads – surely? Will see if I can find the threads on engine protectors. Won’t be riding on unsurfaced roads but it rains a lot here and bikes can easily end up manky.

Mattup, I like the idea of the bungs, stop all the crud getting in.

Cheers on the centre stand tip mjgt.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I second the valve cover guards and a radiator guard. I don't know how it is where you live but our most common group ride roadside repairs are loose/missing license plates* and radiators holed by rocks.

The factory footpegs will touch down long before the cylinder heads. Replacing the factory pegs with shorter, thinner, and stiffer Puig pegs gave me much better feel and more lean angle but they still touch ground before the valve cover guards.

The combination of a full Remus exhaust and a Rapidbike EVO self tuning EFI & timing fixer makes my '16 sound great on the gas and the most perfectly tuned EFI I've ever ridden. YMMV.

* dealers here often use cheap metal or plastic wingnuts for plates. Replace them with steel nuts (use nyloc nuts or a dab of purple loctite).

·
Super Moderator
4,992 Posts
This is an example of a ‘fail to proceed’, @Gareth. Fortunately a friendly local had some kneadable two-part epoxy putty and I was eventually on my way again.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Now that’s not gonna get you home Panzermann. Nasty:surprise:

I’ve specified the OE valve guards, so hopefully I’m covered in that respect.

The factory footpegs will touch down long before the cylinder heads.

Sounds good. I don’t fancy the idea of one those pots ever touching down!

The combination of a full Remus exhaust and a Rapidbike EVO self tuning EFI & timing fixer makes my '16 sound great on the gas and the most perfectly tuned EFI I've ever ridden. YMMV.

I’m getting an SC Project end can. But I’m hoping she’s sweet enough for me on the standard map, as insurance takes a big hike here when you start playing around with performance parts. Plus I’m guessing soon MOT’s will be checking for OE CATs etc if they ain’t already doing so.

Meanwhile back to protection.:smile2:

I hear what Panzermann says about the front of the engine. And I note the silly short flimsy mud guard. You guys seem to be keen on Machine-Art stuff, so I’m interested in Avant Guard and Mudsling combo, particularly as I will be out in the rain now and again. Would these be a worthwhile purchase?
https://www.nippynormans.com/mudsling-xheads/machineart-mudsling-and-avantguard-r1200rs-lc-r1200r-lc-r1250r1250rs
Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I’ve gone off the Avant Guard. It seems you have to remove the winglets otherwise it will not fit.

It would be nice to have some sort of protection on the front of the engine, as that mudguard is next to useless but I’m not sure what.

The Mudsling stays on my list. Expensive but looks like it should be worthwhile.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
This is an example of a ‘fail to proceed’, @Gareth. Fortunately a friendly local had some kneadable two-part epoxy putty and I was eventually on my way again.
Kindly cease posting this pic, Pz. It always makes me feel sick - especially around the wallet region! :frown2:

·
Super Moderator
4,992 Posts
Kindly cease posting this pic, Pz. It always makes me feel sick - especially around the wallet region! :frown2:
You are such a squeamish chap, Lawrence. A bit of oil and gore and you start shaking at the knees. Here’s a photo with band-aid applied to make you feel a bit better.

The putty was gratis, courtesy of a friendly local. The only expense to me, of the subsequent A$7,000+ repair bill, was the $500 insurance excess, so it wasn’t a catastrophic cost.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
A tasty pair of MaAMoto cyl-head guards would have prevented that! Lesson learned?

·
Super Moderator
4,992 Posts
A tasty pair of MaAMoto cyl-head guards would have prevented that! Lesson learned?
Indeed, they were subsequently fitted, I could have saved a couple hours in that Gippsland farm workshop. As far as the insurance claim, though, it wouldn’t have mattered - the excess would still be $500 towards the repair cost.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Sargent Seat is the first thing I got, in fact I ordered it before my bike got to the dealer. The stock seat isn't the worst seat, but for anything over a 200 mile day, a Sargent Seat makes my ass happier.

The WunderlinQ has been a very nice accessory, it allows you to use the Wonder Wheel to control your phone, if you prefer to use it for Navigation/Calls and Music listening through blue tooth.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I’ve gone off the Avant Guard. It seems you have to remove the winglets otherwise it will not fit.

It would be nice to have some sort of protection on the front of the engine, as that mudguard is next to useless but I’m not sure what.

The Mudsling stays on my list. Expensive but looks like it should be worthwhile.
I have the 1200lc and wanted something to protect the front of the engine when I bought the bike. I looked at the avantguard and thought it looked effective but was stupidly expensive (for a bit of plastic) and I thought it wold block the front of the engine from the cooling wind. Then I looked at the evotech cover which was a sensible price and made of alloy but it's held on with back to back tape at the top and does not cover the whole front of the engine cover and blocked the air as well as the avantguard. I found a crud catcher online and bought that but it's not much cop as it only comes up half way. I have a fender extender (useless) and a SS crud catcher but the front of my engine is copping a load of crap so I don't really know what to do about the front of the engine, if the avantguard was a reasonable price I would try it.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts