BMW R1200R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The putty was gratis, courtesy of a friendly local. The only expense to me, of the subsequent A$7,000+ repair bill, was the $500 insurance excess, so it wasn’t a catastrophic cost.
The interweb says that’s about £3.5K Help ma Boab! How do you end up with a 7KA$ bill?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Sargent Seat is the first thing I got, in fact I ordered it before my bike got to the dealer. The stock seat isn't the worst seat, but for anything over a 200 mile day, a Sargent Seat makes my ass happier.
Will see how I get on with the standard seat.
The WunderlinQ has been a very nice accessory, it allows you to use the Wonder Wheel to control your phone, if you prefer to use it for Navigation/Calls and Music listening through blue tooth.
Naw, I’m not much of a smart phone user. The climate round here would quickly destroy a mobile phone anyway.

I have the 1200lc and wanted something to protect the front of the engine when I bought the bike. I looked at the avantguard and thought it looked effective but was stupidly expensive (for a bit of plastic) and I thought it wold block the front of the engine from the cooling wind. Then I looked at the evotech cover which was a sensible price and made of alloy but it's held on with back to back tape at the top and does not cover the whole front of the engine cover and blocked the air as well as the avantguard. I found a crud catcher online and bought that but it's not much cop as it only comes up half way. I have a fender extender (useless) and a SS crud catcher but the front of my engine is copping a load of crap so I don't really know what to do about the front of the engine, if the avantguard was a reasonable price I would try it.
Oh well. Yeah, I can see the front of the engine taking a pounding.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Rode the bike to work for the first time today.

Will take a wee bit of getting used to, but yeah so far so good. My main gripe is getting used to bar mounted mirrors – I’m struggling a bit with that.

But the big thing for me was finally getting to try the gearbox without a quick shifter. The demo bike had the quick shifter, I didn’t think much of it so didn’t spec it.

First impressions are the BMW box on the water-cooled boxer is every bit as sweet as my old Fazer thou. 1st to 2nd I use the clutch, and thereafter up the box without the clutch and it’s as smooth as. So phew, pleased I did make the right choice after all.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I’ve ordered a new R1250R

The spec will be as follows;

Dynamic ESA
Daytime Riding Light
Heated Grips
Tyre Pressure monitor
Cruise Control
Centre Stand
Valve Cover Guard

I’m also adding an SC Project end can, a Givi plate and 56ltr box.

So my question is are there any must have accessories I should consider?
Thinking of the followingat the mo......

Evotech radiator guard. £57.49

Evotech swingarm protection £22.99

Comments and help appreciated.
Congratulations on the new bike. I ride some pretty long days and needed an adequate windscreen from day one. Put a National Cycle V Stream one on and it's perfect. Solid as a rock too. Have added Heli Bars too and like the farther back and up position better than stock.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The bike will only get better with a few more miles on it. Mine has just under 3000 miles on it and it is smooth and significantly quicker than when new.

I have just fitted an evotech tail tidy and some hand guards to mine.

Enjoy!

Matt

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Congratulations on the new bike. I ride some pretty long days and needed an adequate windscreen from day one. Put a National Cycle V Stream one on and it's perfect. Solid as a rock too. Have added Heli Bars too and like the farther back and up position better than stock.
Ditto on both of those. What size VStream did you get? Mine is 20” and I believe it works! My pullback risers help with the back and hips. I also installed Hyperlite brake flashers.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have the 1200lc and wanted something to protect the front of the engine when I bought the bike. I looked at the avantguard and thought it looked effective but was stupidly expensive (for a bit of plastic) and I thought it wold block the front of the engine from the cooling wind. Then I looked at the evotech cover which was a sensible price and made of alloy but it's held on with back to back tape at the top and does not cover the whole front of the engine cover and blocked the air as well as the avantguard. I found a crud catcher online and bought that but it's not much cop as it only comes up half way. I have a fender extender (useless) and a SS crud catcher but the front of my engine is copping a load of crap so I don't really know what to do about the front of the engine, if the avantguard was a reasonable price I would try it.
I've had the Avantguard on mine since I bought the bike. It has not impacted on cooling as far as I can tell and I've not had any issues with it at all. Granted it's not cheap, but buying alternatives like you have and finding them ineffective is probably more costly, bite the bullet and buy one, it does the job well.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Machineartmoto has them on sale for $79.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Cheers RRRooster. Happy with the riding position. Not done any long days yet, but didn’t find a couple of hours on the demo bike a problem. Hoping to get away without fitting a screen, but I might fit a small sports screen if I feel the need.

After a few runs I do wonder if BMW is serious about its basic boxer. A short 30 mile run in the rain on filthy roads left my legs and back covered in road grim – I’ve never seen anything like it in my life, I was coated. And yup that front engine cover is just gonna take a hammering. The almost total lack of a front mud guard just coats the whole engine in filth to be honest. Are we supposed to keep our R1250R’s as sunny Sunday toys?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Adding a front fender extender - about four or five inches I think - goes quite a long way towards sorting out the muck.

The best fix for the front of the engine that I found is the plastic engine guard from Wunderlich. As with most of their stuff, stupid expensive for a piece of plastic but it works well.

A Mudslinger or whatever it's called works really well for the back end.

I'm not that tall but also not as flexible as I'd like to be in, so found that raising the bars about 25 mm adding a Sargent seat and dropping the pegs a bit helped enormously.

Being the sort of person that just can't leave well enough alone, my list of farkles is quite extensive;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cheers RRRooster. Happy with the riding position. Not done any long days yet, but didn’t find a couple of hours on the demo bike a problem. Hoping to get away without fitting a screen, but I might fit a small sports screen if I feel the need.

After a few runs I do wonder if BMW is serious about its basic boxer. A short 30 mile run in the rain on filthy roads left my legs and back covered in road grim – I’ve never seen anything like it in my life, I was coated. And yup that front engine cover is just gonna take a hammering. The almost total lack of a front mud guard just coats the whole engine in filth to be honest. Are we supposed to keep our R1250R’s as sunny Sunday toys?
Hi I have the same issue with my bike, any rain and it looks like I’ve been off road - which is a big NO NO. Even muck all up the back of my jacket. I already have a hugger fitted which I thought would help, but still get the same amount of mess.

·
Super Moderator
5,007 Posts
You could always fit the genuine BMW rear Spritzschutz (splash guard) mudguard. It was OEM fitment to Aus/NZ models when the R-LC was released but our design rule wheel-coverage requirements changed at about the same time so dealers would just bin them rather than go to the trouble of fitting them, figuring (wrongly) that buyers gave priority to a slim rear end over keeping mud off themselves, their pillion and their luggage. For photos of it fitted, see this post. It does a reasonable job (far, far better than none at all). I leave mine on all the time.

There's some confusion over the part number, 46 62 8 543 348 because the part has 46 63 8 543 348 embossed on it. It should be available from dealers, or here for example.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hi I have the same issue with my bike, any rain and it looks like I’ve been off road - which is a big NO NO. Even muck all up the back of my jacket. I already have a hugger fitted which I thought would help, but still get the same amount of mess.
Yup. There’s been so little rain, not normally a problem round here, I haven’t had much of a chance to reassess the issue. When I last went out in the rain the roads were still coated in winter salt and grit.

I presume this is also a problem with the RS. The rear of the bike becoming a mess is one thing, but yeah, I got coated too. Which is less than amusing if you want to pop into a shop or go for a bite to eat.

You could always fit the genuine BMW rear Spritzschutz (splash guard) mudguard.
I’m guessing that’s an Aus/NZ part only.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
My bike after a few miles in the rian. I looked much the same. Not amused.
P1003482.jpg

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here is what I have done to my 2017 R12R ( I take long trips)...
Denali Lights
Parabellum Windshield (Medium)
TomTom 550 and Sunshade
Givi TankLock Bag
Nelson Rigg Sport Tail Bag
Frame Caps for all these open rust collecting holes. (Generic Caps from eBay, much cheaper)
Evotech -Front Spindle Bobbins front and rear
EvoTech Front engine guard.
EvoTech Radiator Guard
Mudslinger Fender
SW-Motech Crash Bars
SW-Motech Swing Arm Caps.
Wunderlich Pegs, shifter and brake pedal
BMW Mirror Extenders
Sargent Seat
Heli HandelBar Risers.
Kathy's Journey Saddle Bag Liner bags (Top of the line IMO for OEM Saddle Bags)

Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
5,007 Posts
I’m guessing that’s an Aus/NZ part only.
Likely developed for our market, but available internationally by ordering. See here for an example, but all dealers should be able to order from Germany via their national BMW distributor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Likely developed for our market, but available internationally by ordering. See here for an example, but all dealers should be able to order from Germany via their national BMW distributor.
Thanks for the info, unfortunately I have now added a Evotech performance tail tidy, which finishes the rear end off nicely and would have to put the original back on. My dad has a r1200r and doesn’t get mess up like mine does with or without the tailtidy on. I think to consider my opinion on how to move forward

·
Registered
112 Posts
This will be interesting.

I've been trying to persuade Madstad - unsuccessfully so far - to make a screen for the R1250R. Email communications have been ignored since March or so.

I'd order one but have little faith that they'll deliver at this point. Perhaps the R1250R market isn't big enough, who knows? Or perhaps not technically achievable for whatever reason, or maybe not enough purchasers with the joys of Covid-19 slowing everything down..

21 - 40 of 55 Posts