BMW R1200R Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Just got this back from Madstad.

Hi,

Thank you for reaching out to us and supplying the mold for the R1250.

I spoke with Mark and we discussed a couple of complications with producing this shield.

We normally have the motorcycle here at our shop so we can measure and alter the parts that
we're making for the motorcycle. Without this critical aspect of making a new windshield, the windshield
wouldn't meet our standards.
The R1250 will need a different setup than the R1200.

Also, with the high demand for our products, developing a new windshield takes a lot of time and
without an actual R1250 here, it would double the time and effort.

We constantly look to bring new motorcycles into our shop to develop products for them but
as of now, we don't have an R1250 to use. But we're working on it.

Thank you for your understanding and patience.

Dan

So, anyone live near them at Brooksville, FL 34601?

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Likely developed for our market, but available internationally by ordering. See here for an example, but all dealers should be able to order from Germany via their national BMW distributor.
I just installed this part. It does fit but I had to cut holes to access the luggage rack mounting points.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up! Mine just arrived on Saturday and will be my "play-date" for the weekend.

Much sawing, or just a little adjustment with a Dremel?

It won't look quite as sleek as those bikes that have the cleaner tail pieces installed - and that's a look I really like - but they are less impressive when parking after even a slightly wet, dirty ride. A couple of weeks ago it took half a day to scrub the crap off my riding gear: a half hour's rain on a dirty greasy road first thing in the morning, then riding around in hot sun for the rest of the day...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Nice work Dougl.

And more pics of the bike with this mod please. I’ve not had any problems, its been one of the driest springs I can remember here in Scotland. But now summer is here – guess what, it has started raining.

Not had a good soaking yet. But if when I do, and I keep ending up covered in road grime, and that mod solves the problem, I might see if I can get my hands on one.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Gareth - hope you'll have better luck than I did finding one. Ended up having to order it from Germany as for some bizarre reason that PN seems to be used for more than one part shape. When I ordered in the US, I received (twice, from different suppliers) something quite different.

I'm envious of you being in Scotland, especially this time of year. Some areas are as beautiful as anywhere in the world that I've been with roads to match - and that includes NZ - and some places cannot be described as anything less than spectacular. I have less fond memories of the weather.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Sounds like fun getting that part. Let us know how it performs.

I have less fond memories of the weather.
Aye, cheers Jack. I think we have just had the most spectacular spring ever. A cold dry start with plenty of snow on the hills. Then lockdown hit. Stayed dry and just kept getting sunnier and warmer – too warm for me at times. It's gone back to normal now ready for travel restrictions being lifted on Friday.

Anyway see if anybody knows the answer to this old joke – What is the difference in weather between winter and summer in Scotland?

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
Nice work Dougl.

And more pics of the bike with this mod please. I’ve not had any problems, its been one of the driest springs I can remember here in Scotland. But now summer is here – guess what, it has started raining.

Not had a good soaking yet. But if when I do, and I keep ending up covered in road grime, and that mod solves the problem, I might see if I can get my hands on one.
Here are pictures of the KFM rear mudguard, part 46628543348. Also yhe Machineartmoto Mudsling.

464C971A-E584-4475-A9EF-9BDA260F947B.png
F45DCD4F-8E51-4185-9FFD-9E681A28A8C4.jpeg
2189DE36-4752-4F7D-A19D-3261FAC88FDC.jpeg
0ABD4853-76B8-4C67-901F-8DD951464F3F.jpeg

·
Registered
112 Posts
That looks good! Certainly offer better protection.

The price of the part wasn't bad, just 30 something euros IIRC, but the shipping was somewhat punitive.

Gareth's rain question - I think it's either that the rain in summer is a bit warmer, or slightly less horizontal! Eastern Scotland can be a truly miserable place in February, but I'd trade spring and summer with him any day of the week: on Sunday here it was 87°F/36°C with 95% humidity. I know there are probably people on the forum with hotter weather, and good luck to them! Personally, I'd be perfectly happy never to see north of 70°F/ 21°C. Hottest I've ever experienced was in the desert in Algeria but at least the humidity was low.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Cheers Dougl, not the prettiest mod, but if it is effective…..

Gareth's rain question - I think it's either that the rain in summer is a bit warmer, or slightly less horizontal!
Yup your pretty much there Jack. The difference between summer and winter weather in Scotland is – in summer the rain is vertical, and winter it’s (insert suitable swear word here) horizontal.

Personally, I'd be perfectly happy never to see north of 70°F/ 21°C.
I’m with you there. We hit 28/29 degrees for a couple of days here in North Ayrshire – far far too hot for me – I don’t like those kinda temps.

·
Super Moderator
5,007 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fitted mine yesterday. All good. Not bothered about removing the pannier rails, so no cutting/drilling done

·
Registered
112 Posts
I must be aesthetically challenged too as I don't see the point of removing the rails. I probably should though - I have the cases but have never even put them on the bike yet.

If you're going to remove them though, I very much like Panzemann's install. Very neat & tidy which appeals to my AR nature.

JtL

41 - 55 of 55 Posts