BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP 2018 Triumph T120
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
.. So far have been all good !! No issues to report and hope it'll stay that way.

TBH, the performance of this bike is more than what my skills can fully use. So there hasn't been a feeling to modify something that I won't really benefit from. I knew I was already starting with a pretty good platform. It has proven to be more than enough bike for me.

This has left me to modify the looks a little. My theme has been 'Roadster' from the start...

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

·
Registered
784 Posts
.. So far have been all good !! No issues to report and hope it'll stay that way.

TBH, the performance of this bike is more than what my skills can fully use. So there hasn't been a feeling to modify something that I won't really benefit from. I knew I was already starting with a pretty good platform. It has proven to be more than enough bike for me.

This has left me to modify the looks a little. My theme has been 'Roadster' from the start...

View attachment 113546
Like that freame color. :) If you're like the rest of us, the more you ride it, the more you'll love it.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Is that the OEM sport seat? Never realized it was angled upward towards the rear, and flush with the pillion seat. That seat is supposed to be extra, right? My HP came with 'tall/comfort' seat standard, which is perfect for me. No way I'd like having a downward slope towards the tank, but glad you like it.
Hey, I highly recommend the X-head protectors for the heads; they look OEM, and would prevent damage to the heads on a fall. I have the same 'theme', with zero crap in front (nav cradle removed, with polished OEM Torx bolts instead, no windscreen, no nothing), black Akra Ti can, and lots of cosmetic upgrades, also including removing the ugly reflector below the license plate. Need to take a picture of mine too :). Welcome.

Reactions: tima

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your comments fellas!

It is the sport seat @ 840mm / 33" high. I altered the rear seat by removing the foam + reskinning it for looks. The two sections didn't sit flush afterwards, so I stuffed some microfiber towels under the front seat foam to even it out. I'm a little guy at 5' 7", with a 29" inseam. I can get half of both feet on the ground but from seat to pegs it feels better. There is a lot of, "to each his own" going on with seats, etc...

I don't think I paid extra, as it was on the bike when purchased.

Font Violet Gas Midnight Electric blue

·
Registered
737 Posts
Is that the OEM sport seat? Never realized it was angled upward towards the rear, and flush with the pillion seat. That seat is supposed to be extra, right?
I had the opportunity to test ride a Sport seat. The shape is very different than the rest of the seats, and is definitely designed for more curvy-bits time than cruising time. It would be great for someone that like to "get off" to the sides and hang knees low, as the sides are shaved to make it easier to do so. It has no "pocket" or even much flat area for your bum, so would not be as good a choice for touring.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Being a total rookie, I originally didn't even realize I had the sport seat...:rolleyes: I went back to the dealer and sat on a 1250R with a 'regular' seat. More of a 'crouch', but a better fit to the ground for me. Not sure I'd prefer the extra knee bend. Just a guess though.. I'd think one cannot move around as well as the sporty one. It really comes down to 'different strokes'...

Symmetry Font Electric blue Pattern Circle

·
Registered
326 Posts
I thought it was only shaved in the front (also for better ground reach), but if you scoot rearward, the seat would be flat. But maybe not. My seat is almost perfect, but wish it was just a hair more 'shaved', as it started bothering my inner thighs a little after my first long trip when seating all the way back. But the second time it didn't happen, so I was happy. I like to corner aggressively, but I just move my butt a little bit side to side (if at all), which is all you really need on the street, especially on a 500+ lb bike. My knees stay in place, plus I'm not that flexible, so even if I wanted to push them out, I doubt I could. Ha ha. Oh, and my bike has a lean angle meter, so now I know exactly how much I have left (50-deg is pretty much the limit). Wonder if the sport seat is even more comfortable than the high/comfort 820mm one standard on my bike, since the sport is 840. Is it? If not, no way I'd even consider it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, the sport seat is 840mm from the ground, according to the specs. My shorter stature requires I scoot all the way forward, not back. I can't reach the bars comfortably if I'm too far back.

You could remove the seat cover and shave the foam yourself. I don't think that'd be too difficult to try.

My comfort level is fine with this one. Very subjective statement though and doesn't really mean much..

·
Registered
4 Posts

View attachment 113546
It looks like you changed the mirrors, what about the handlebars? I was thinking about a cafe racing style for my 2012, and was wondering if anyone had gone to something else for the bars.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I still have the original bars.. I see that BMW offers a 'sport' bar, which is half an inch lower, according to their website. Other than that I don't know of anything else or I've never searched for clip-ons or such..

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'd convert the RS to R bars. Ha ha. For me, nothing but a truly naked bike now. It's so nice to have clean air from the neck up, with no turbulence-induced deafening noise, even with earplugs. I absolutely don't mind the wind everywhere. I can travel 80+ mph for hours without fatigue, so don't really need any wind protection. And since I never ride in the rain on purpose, or in cold weather, don't need it for that either. Hope to keep the R for a long time :).

Reactions: joe4702

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
While I was doing the maintenance, I hooked up Motoscan to reset the service interval. Upon checking the various devices I noticed I had some trouble codes. They all cleared without issue. I started researching what the DTC's (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) stood for. I read a statement from @Panzermann which was, no list existed from BMW Motorrad. Is that still the case?

I never had a CEL or anything but I'm definitely curious what is going on and why I have error codes.

·
Registered
737 Posts
As far as I know, there is not a published list of the error codes. :( It would be an interesting project if someone had both a GS-911 and a MotoScan enable plug to go through and compare the error code results... I wonder if the GS-911 provides more detail, and how/where they got the info if so.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,787 Posts
If I recall correctly, the GS-911reports the actual fault but not an actual code. I don’t have a Motoscan setup so can’t comment on what is displayed.

From 2016 though, BMW Motorrad had to make their bikes OBD2 compatible, which possibly facilitated Motoscan setting up their product, as the bike onboard data should be reporting the fault code.

Noting that OBD allows for some manufacturer-specific codes, most faults would likely fall under generic OBD codes (e.g. injector fault, cylinder bank 1). So if Motoscan reports simply a fault code number, it is likely that a Google search on that fault code would tell you the fault detail.

I haven’t searched for a while, but I’ve never seen a BMW Motorrad-specific fault code list. I expect that’s how the GS-911 manufacturers established their product - by reverse engineering via the diagnostic port.

Reactions: tima

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just searched using "B7F71D" and this came up in Adventure Rider on a 2020 1250GSA. These are the same 3 codes I had. Answer found thanks to you !! ....Much obliged again Mr. PZmann !

Question:

MotoScan Info Trouble Codes
"Today I observed 3 "unknown trouble codes" popped up under "info trouble codes" on my 2020 R1250GSA. Normal trouble codes are all clear. The codes are as follows:
  • B7F71D
  • B7F606
  • B7F71C
Does anyone know what these mean? "

Answer:
"Those 'info trouble codes' can be ignored.
They are what BMW call 'shadow codes' or shadow fault memory. They are no longer available for viewing in BMW dealer level software but are collected for FASTA data transmitted to BMW AG.
Often the data gives recorded values of running procedures etc. that are logged. These values are not for diagnostic determination."

·
Registered
326 Posts
OBD-II codes are just emissions related codes, so basically just powertrain codes. Some readers also can read ABS and airbag codes, but they have to have that capability. Any other module requires a 'specialized' code reader, like GS-911 for BMW bikes. I don't know if that 'MotoScan' qualifies as one, or just a partial one. But my take is if you're serious about having the best diagnostic tool possible, just buy the GS-911. It's more expensive up front, but you could sell it for at least 75% of its price, so at the end, it'd probably be pretty close to anything else, and a much better tool. It's not nearly as user friendly as I wanted to be (still need to d*ck with the damn thing to make it work with my computer), but the main reason I bought it is to be able to use it on the road, and it works fine (in D2D mode). And also to reset service warnings, which I had to do with the cable, since I couldn't get it to work with Wi-Fi (will try again at some point... if I feel like it. Ha ha).

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Being that the cost of the GS-911 is roughly 10 times the cost of MS, and I already had the specific Bluetooth adapter needed, it was an easy decision to go MS initially. I figure if I need more help/advice there's enough help here that I hopefully can figure out how to fix any potential mech/electrical problem. As long as it can be ID'd. We'll see, but hopefully I won't have to find out..lol.

No doubt though, I'd love to have the best diagnostic tool available. Just not sure I need it yet...

·
Registered
326 Posts
The problem is you don't need it until you do. Ha ha. I haven't needed it either, but if I ever do, it'll be there :).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts