BMW R1200R Forum banner

My 2020 "R" looks a bit different from new

6K views 32 replies 12 participants last post by  tima 
#1 ·
The day I brought it home,

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

And a picture as of yesterday. I removed the Plasti-Dip I used from the headlight, radiator, coil, side, + exhaust covers, the intake snorkel and footpeg bracket and painted them with BMW's Black Storm Metallic paint. This is my first project using an airbrush, so the quality is as expected from a rookie. I've redone many of the repainted parts..lol.

Need to think about what's next...?

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

See less See more
#2 ·
Too much chrome on the new R, I agree!

Are you going to put that cover back on the lower engine part / exhaust pipes? You should consider painting it in white...

Completely unrelated, how does the T120 compare to the R1250R? (I think I know the answer, but just curious)

#5 ·
Too much chrome on the new R, I agree!
The only chrome is the exhaust system, but yes, that silencer is a bit much.

@tima, did you consider replacing the radiator shrouds with the sleeker looking plastic models rather than painting that expensive stainless steel? One of the things I’m not fond of with the 1250 is the additional visual bulk arising from the metal shrouds.

#3 ·
Hi Nicochau, I just happened to be thinking of painting those in white! I might even try getting fancy too and adding a few stripes.

My T120 is a great ride too. It obviously isn't as technically advanced as the BMW, but is also quite a few thousand dollars less. It was the bike I got after 14 years of being without a bike. I felt it was a good bike to get back into it...

#4 ·
Hi Nicochau, I just happened to be thinking of painting those in white! I might even try getting fancy too and adding a few stripes.

My T120 is a great ride too. It obviously isn't as technically advanced as the BMW, but is also quite a few thousand dollars less. It was the bike I got after 14 years of being without a bike. I felt it was a good bike to get back into it...
I love stripes, we all know they make us faster!! 😆

I got my R1200R after 9 years out. I can't state enough how good this bike is for me. Immense riding pleasure and performance while easy and forgiving at the same time. She is that good.

#7 ·
"@tima, did you consider replacing the radiator shrouds with the sleeker looking plastic models rather than painting that expensive stainless steel?"

I never thought of that. My current look obviously agrees with you. I like it with no lower shrouds. "Less is more" is okay with me!

A good friend of mine (55+ yrs) told me lacquer thinner will remove everything without damaging the metal. Or even plastic too. I trust his advice.

#13 ·
r0ckrat is correct, that is the Sport seat and the headers were sent to Jet Hot for coating.

Pegs are from Rizoma,
PE795B, Peg Adaptors and
PE643B, Rizoma "Urban Protocol" Footpegs for stock Rearsets, 1 pair; adapters (not included) are required for mounting

Headlight cover is the stock piece painted black.

Mirrors are "CRG" Lanesplitters

#16 ·
I was messing around and came up with this for the lower shroud. It was good practice and adding some more 'color' may be a good thing.

This was using paint from Walmart that my brother recommended. He's the one who got me started by giving me one of his airbrushes. The paint for this cost around .50 cents an ounce, compared to the TUD paint @ $49 per spray can or $14.5 / $10 an ounce depending on amount bought.

Here is the mock up...

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

#18 ·
This doesn't do it for me either. I didn't originally plan this. The first version came out bad. Tried to cover that up with this. Intent was to get an idea on looks, which isn't always easy. I was having a hard time getting this paint to spray without clogging.

I think coming up with something that works graphically, and that I can also do myself will be difficult. I do like without too...

#28 ·
Thanks guys.

I was thinking the same thing about the front fender! That picture sure opens up a lot of potential ideas. I'm going to have to look at that pic some more...
I would keep the accent small like you did on the engine spoiler.

Reactions: MGL and tima
#33 · (Edited)
Update pics..

I used lacquer thinner to clean up the engine spoilers, it worked well.

Automotive design Gas Automotive exterior Automotive tire Bumper

I started with one can of TUD white, but it wasn't enough to get the right shade.

Since I had a little blue left, I went for the front fender. I noticed from the side the tank cover's blue stripe looks curved. But it's actually a straight line! So I made a straight line on the fender too!! It looks curved from the side...

The shade is a little light on the fender blue stripe. I ran out of blue, so need to go back and add some more.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Edit: 11/16/22

I unfortunately have to report that the spoilers came out like crap using the TUD paint. I'm not exactly sure what happened but it was unacceptable. I cried as I cleaned it all off again...lol.

Not wanting to waste money on another attempt, I went ahead and used the Walmart gloss white. It obviously doesn't match but it's fairly close. I'm not fully enamored with the look but will try it out for a while and see if it grows on me... it has been somewhat frustrating but still an enjoyable experience for me.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Motorcycle Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.