BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... My bike is no more...

Two weeks ago I had to go from Sweden to France to attend the funeral of my grandmother. I decided to and make a nice biking trip of it, and packed my panniers and got going. I rode through Sweden, Denmark and through Germany on small country roads and went towards the German coast. I spent the night in a small German village on the coast. The weather was splendid and it was a great ride. The next day I got an early start and drove for 14 h through Germany, the Netherlands and Belgium and went partying in Luxembourg with some old buddies from Uni.

The next day I continued south towards the french border, heading for the alps. After about 50 km I got a flat in the middle on nowhere in the french country side... Thank god my on board computer warmed me of loosing tire pressure since I was pushing the bike pretty hard on the country roads! After an hour or so a friendly biker stopped and helped me out. He had an anti-flat can with him that we used to get the tire pressure up a bit. The tire was still leaking and I rolled the bike to his garage a few kilometers away. We ended up putting a screw in the tire so that I could drive back to Luxembourg and get a new tire put on the bike.

The next day I was of again, this time towards Belgium since I lost a day and was going to Normandie. I drove through the Belgian highlands along the Semois river. Absolutely GOURGEOUS! Amazing ride! I passed through a small village called Boullion with I a can strongly recommend! I continued across the french border and spent the night in a small french village.

The next morning i was feeling confident and rode towards my final destination in Normandie. A few hours north of Paris in a roundabout outside a small village I hit an oil path. The bike just disappeared beneath me and I saw it gliding away on the tarmac. After a few meters I saw the sidewalk coming closer and the bike was gliding on the left cylinder. The tires did not hit the sidewalk the the cylinder sure did. The camshaft lid got split in two and the bolts of the cylinder head was ripped out of the cylinder. I was gliding along with the bike and followed it into the ditch next to the road.

The bike is pretty much dead for the moment, and I didn't even get a scratch. I can't figure out if it was bad luck or good luck. However, I got a flight back home to Sweden in full motorbiking gear, and my bike is still in a garage somewhere in france...

Here is some pictures of my cylinder, and parts I found laying on the side of the road...
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20205404/1.jpg
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20205404/2.jpg

Lets hope they can ship it home and repair it soon! I've had it for a month and I already crashed it :(

Make sure you take it easy in roundabouts out there! They can apparently be quite slippery!

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Mon Dieu! Bikes can be fixed or replaced. People can't. Glad it's you writing that the bike is dead and not vice versa. . ..

If it's reparable, add a protective cage for the cylinder heads.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
My bike has seen better days :(

Glad you weren't injured. Hope that you are able to get it repaired soon.
You're right about oil and roundabouts. Think anyone who spends much time on 2 wheels has been down before.
We all feel for you, Emile.
Get it fixed up, and keep 'em flying!:001_cool:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mon Dieu! Bikes can be fixed or replaced. People can't. Glad it's you writing that the bike is dead and not vice versa. . ..

If it's reparable, add a protective cage for the cylinder heads.
Yeah, the protective cage for the cylinders seems like a good idea =)
Where can I get those? Are those aftermarket or BMW?

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
Hi,

glad you're ok, as drDave says bikes are easier to fix than people. I lost it on a roundabout a few years ago on my F800s. I had just fitted crash bungs and they certainly did their job. I fitted crash bars on my R12 last week, I hope I never need them.

Take care and I hope you get you bike fixed soon.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Sad to hear about your bike, I'm glad and happy you are relatively OK.

Keep us posted in what happens with all this ordeal.

·
Registered
109 Posts
DUCT TAPE should do it, a little spray paint and uh, this may be sound foolish, but don't forget to add oil before starting the engine............and really glad "not even a scratch." Wonderful ride you had before at least. I rode much of that on moped back in the 70's!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi everyone,

Thanks for the support =)

It took the insurance company three weeks to get the bike transported to Stockholm. Now the guy at the garage says he won't have time to even look at the bike before July. That means that I won't even know if they are going to repair it before then, or if they will just cash me out. Hopefully it will be running again sometime in august.

Until then I'm stuck in my garage trying to get my old Kawasaki GPZ 750 from -82 to run again, I've ripped apart the entire engine to replace the engine gaskets and is hoping to get it back together this weekend. =)

I will definitely install some crash bars when and if i get it back though. However, I'm a bit worried about then touching the ground while cornering, It feels like there is not much space between the cylinders and the tarmac while cornering hard, and with crash bars there will be much less. Have you guys experienced any problems with this?

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
If you lean the Boxer over to the ragged edge frequently, you'll have to make some decisions about protection. The feelers on the footpegs will touch down first before the cylinder covers contact asphalt. If you haven't already removed the center stand, it will already be making a noisy racket scraping. The Z-Tech engine guards are very nice, but they are also pricey. $455?
They will reduce maximum lean angle slightly.
National Cycle
Whether crash bars are effective protection is your decision.
Whether insurance premiums are less than repair bills is up to you.
There is no correct answer, just what you feel suits your riding style and pocketbook.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
...Now the guy at the garage says he won't have time to even look at the bike before July.
This is ridiculous. I'd be getting in touch VERY forcefully with the insurance company and looking for another garage!

L of S

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
I would say, more directly, if you like extreme lean angles, that a boxer twin is just not going to be your bike.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just installed the a motech crash bars last week. Taking my time it only took me 45 minutes. The BMW cylinder head protectors are now in a box next to the workbench..MUCH happier with the crash bars. The cylinder head protectors would be torn off if it was anything but a stationary spill.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
The BMW cylinder head protectors are now in a box next to the workbench...
How much to mail them to me in Oz, R1200R4me - if you'd like to sell them, please.

You can PM me if preferred... thanks.

L of S

·
Premium Member
2,058 Posts
I had BMW cylinder head protectors on my R1100S that I had a low speed slide down the road on. The right side protector came off but the actual rocker cover only had minor scratches so the protector must have saved it a bit. I fitted SW Motech bars to my R12R last week and spot lights on top of them this week. All ready for summer. :clap:

·
Registered
480 Posts
Emile, I don't know if as a boy you watched Three Stooges...but rumor has it this guy may be able to fix your bike...quick and cheap too! Just kidding, of course! Enjoy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts