BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A word to my fellow Aussies; ALDI stores have a wide array of bikers’ gear on special sale from this coming Saturday, August 9th. For those without a store nearby I’d imagine that on-line ordering is available.

A quick list of items on offer includes fabric jackets and pants: leather jackets: jeans: rain-suit: ‘mid-layer’ clothing: balaclava, face-mask, neck-warmer: carbon knuckle gloves: sox: boots in two styles: open face and full face helmets, incl ladies’ versions: video camera: Blue-tooth kit: tie-downs: tank-bag: stand: disc-lock: ramp: cover.

I have had ALDI stuff in the past and it is invariably of pretty high quality and well-made, and certainly very keenly-priced - but sizing of some of their clothing does need watching.

I’ll be getting in early for some replacement sox, longer-cuff gloves, and a disc-lock.

L of S

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good work Lawrence,
Looked on Aldi webpage and there is some decent stuff there. Also "googled" Torque Motorcycle Gear reviews and things like socks, balaclavas, etc. got very good wraps.
Don't know whether they can be ordered online on Saturday, or whether you have to be an Aldi member, but well worth a look, if you have an Aldi nearby (which I don't).
cheers,
BB

·
Registered
325 Posts
Well bless my soul.... I thought this was an advertisement for LAMB.

The tyre tiedowns have me a little interested, but for $45-$50, I think I may try Ebay.
Regards
John

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
I've got a fair amount of Aldi stuff for on the bike and off.

As Lawrence states, it is decent quality but the sizing can vary year to year. Their thermal stuff is all good quality for the most part and is sized generously (apart from that one year when they were two sizes smaller). I have both woolen and poly-prop thermals and mid layers of various vintages as well as socks, balaclavas and neck socks. All of it is of a good quality for the price. Of course you don't get the same quality as say a $100 merino undershirt, but what do you expect for $20 ;)

I've got the previous model textile pants and they have served me well for 3 years. The gloves were a bit stiff but are loosening up with more frequent use. They were no good on my thick grips on the C but they are comfy on the scooters thinner grips.

The stands, tie downs and ramps have been variable in quality and you can usually get more reliable stuff for similar money elsewhere. I've heard good things about the quality of the helmets and the boots, but they run a few sizes too small in some years.

The biggest problem is having to elbow all the old people out the way so you can get to the good stuff. I almost had to fight a granny after she grabbed the last 5 XL sized thermal tops last year and put it in her trolley that was over flowing with goods. I reckon she was flogging it off on Ebay. I managed to get one of the tops, but I was sure she was going to smack me over the head with her walking frame when I was eyeing off the thermal pants in her trolley.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Feeling drawn 'down under'

My fellow Australians........
ALDI stores have a wide array of bikers’ gear on special sale from this coming Saturday, August 9th.

My fellow Americans........
Wal*Mart stores has a scant variety of cheap bikers' gear on sale this weekend.
Hey!! Young lady, the president hasn't finished his message yet.
STOP and listen !!!

Nope. NO WAY! Don't want to be late for the big ALDI's blowout SALE!

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Good response, Clem! I must say that as I was typing the post I had the traditional 'my fellow Americans' opening words to an important announcement at the back of my mind.

Maybe I suffer from delusions of adequacy! :closedeyes:

L of S

ps - is that underclad dusky young maiden heading our way...?

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The biggest problem is having to elbow all the old people out the way so you can get to the good stuff. I almost had to fight a granny after she grabbed the last 5 XL sized thermal tops last year and put it in her trolley that was over flowing with goods. I managed to get one of the tops, but I was sure she was going to smack me over the head with her walking frame when I was eyeing off the thermal pants in her trolley.
So that was you, was it, doc, shoving and pushing my wife and myself around at the ALDI sale last year?

I've got a new sturdy walking stick this year, so watch out...

And keep your beady eyes off my wife's thermal pants...:(

L of S

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for the Heads up LoS.

Snaffled myself a leather jacket, gloves and a bluetooth "in helmet" headset.

Additional pickup whilst I wandered towards the checkout was a disk sander :001_tt1:

Auntyjack

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well bought, Aunty! I arrived at the store at 7.55am, having miscued on the opening time. A queue of at least 60 was in front of me, and in the few minutes it took before the doors opened another 15 or so had joined behind!

The usual rugby scrum then eventuated at the rear of the store, but knowing exactly what I wanted I was in and out in under five minutes!

Gloves, disc-lock, 2 x sox, replacing two old pairs now well past their best. All excellent value for money!

My daughter was in the same store about mid-day and tells me that it was still full of Old Blokes like me going through the remnants.

Happy days!

L of S

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
Well bought, Aunty!

Gloves, disc-lock, 2 x sox, replacing two old pairs now well past their best. All excellent value for money!

Happy days!

L of S
Excellent value for money, as long as you don't have to drive to the other side of the city, sit for a hour in traffic cues, just to save 10 dollars on the item.
Just saying thats all.:closedeyes:

Reactions: joebloggz

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Excellent value for money, as long as you don't have to drive to the other side of the city, sit for a hour in traffic cues, just to save 10 dollars on the item. Just saying thats all.:closedeyes:
I'm not at all sure that I really needed that, Erin, as I'm pretty sure I could have worked out the cost/ value equation for myself!

L of S

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
No I'm not being rude, I was just saying, it just amazes me how sales can catch people out, spend $10.00 to save $1.00, it happens.

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
I went in to ALDI today to grab some dishwasher tablets and some other grocery items, a pair of textile pants, a balaclava, a woolen midlayer top and some other miscellaneous items made their way to the check out with me :)

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
Reactions: slowpoke

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not at all surprised, though I don't want to sound like an ALDI shareholder (sadly, I'm not!).
I bleeve ALDI is not yet in NZ, Erin.

May be we should petition them to start selling their own-brand motorcycles. Imagine - BMW quality at Taiwanese manufacturer prices!!!

I'll have two...>:)

L of S

1 - 15 of 15 Posts