BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgot to mention this before, but man, BMW probably has the worst grips of all motorcycles, as far as hardness. They're like gripping a pipe. Ha ha. And with my thin Held Steve Classic gloves, my hands were bothering me almost right away. Super annoying. The problem is the left grip is asymmetric, due to the wheel controller. And no way my OCD would accept a universal grip. Ha ha. So I already ordered Grab-On foam grips (4.25" x 1.45/1.65") in the mean time. But even though I have XL-sized hands, I still prefer something like Gel ProGrips. But only if they look OEM. Otherwise, will keep the foam grips. I used them for a long time before, but since I found ProGrips, I started using those instead.

Please post your solution (and photos), if you also had to do something about them :). And good news: I'm almost done ordering crap from my bike, so will leave you guys alone in a few days. Ha ha. And many thanks for putting up with me; greatly apprciated:cool:. Take care.

·
Registered
651 Posts
The grip surface isn't actually asymetric. I use grip puppies, and the length of the grip is the same on both sides.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I know about the grip surface; I was obviously talking about the end of the grips, the part that goes up next to the switch housing. On the throttle side, due to the wheel, you can clearly see it's not symmetric there, so an aftermarket grip wouldn't fit right. So you did exactly what I'm going to. However, I couldn't find Grip Puppies in 'metric' size (only 5" long), which is 4.25" long (exactly what my grips measure). And we need the smaller size, which is 1.45-1.65" (our bike measures 1.45), so I ordered the identical Grab-Ons, but already cut to the perfect size. I've always used those, since cutting the Grip Puppies never leads to an OEM look. Or you have to bunch them up to fit. Will post a picture of mine when I'm done. I recommend you getting those next time, for a perfect fit :).

·
Registered
651 Posts
I put grip puppies on and didn't have to cut.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
I had grip puppies on for the summer, no issues with fit... The OEM grips are not perfect but the puppies are not great either... I do find the vibes on the OEM cause a buzz after 1-2 hours riding without break. I took the puppies off for the winter, larger gloves will go on soon and I want to feel the heated grips working. I'll put them back on for longer summer rides. Easy with an air compressor and nozzle.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I have Grip Pups. Had to cut them, which wasn’t a problem. What’s the deal with Grab Ons? Are they easier to get on? Do they feel better? Do you have to order them custom? If so, from whom? Is 1.45” the inner diameter?

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you measure your grip's surface, it's exactly 4.25" (same as all other Japanese and European sport/sporty bikes. Not cruisers), and that's what the Grab-Ons are cut to. They fit perfectly. You don't have to bunch them up against the stop, like I imagine you guys had to do (post a picture:)). The 1.45" is the diameter of the OEM grips. Both brands use the same identical material, and it's smaller than 1.45", but it stretches (size SMALL, as there's a large too) from 1.45 to 1.65". So they have to stretch the least for our bikes (less hard to install), and less chances of ripping them. I always use hair spray, and zero movement, while also being easy to remove if needed. I'll post a picture when I install them next week, so you can see how nice they fit. And they cost the same, and same material, so rather buy the correct size ;).

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
The ones on Amazon are 1.25-1.45. Did you say above that we wanted 1.45-1.65? Thanks.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The ones on Amazon are 1.25-1.45. Did you say above that we wanted 1.45-1.65? Thanks.
Oh man; stupid chemo makes me look senile. Geez. Our grips measure 1.25" (yes, I just checked. Ha ha), so at least I ordered the right damn thing. Sorry for my stupidity. The 1.45-1.65 are for cruisers. So all of my comments were correct, except the numbers. Ha ha. At 1.25", our bikes (and most other Japanese and European sport/naked brands) are at the smallest end, so the easiest (or less hard) to install. I just remove the bar end weights (especially on BMWs, which are significantly wider than the grips) to avoid ripping/overstretching the grips. Sorry again for the brain fart😇.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
Installed the Grab-Ons. Perfect size. I used soapy water. Hair spray sounds too gluey.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Told you. Ha ha. And not really. Hair spray gets sticky when dry (at least the one I use from my wife), so the grips don't move at all... but it's not glue, so can be removed relatively easy. With soapy water, you can actually rotate them, so I bet a reinstallation job will be in your near future. Ha ha. That's what I had to do the first time :). Still waiting for mine. They were supposed to be here since last week. Supposedly Thursay; we'll see.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
I’ve had Grip Pups on for over a year and a half, no issues. I just wanted to try something new and this was cheap.

·
Premium Member
478 Posts
The Grabs are the exact right length so no lathe necessary.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yep, and they look nicer too. Ha ha. Hey, forgot this bike has heated grips, so forget about changing the grips. We can only do something on top, in which case the Grab-Ons are the best alternative by far IMO. I could live with the stock grips, I guess, but hope I can get used to the fatter grips with the foam inserts. I used them for years before, so it shouldn't be a problem. What bothers my hands is the thin hard grips for my XL-long hands, so the foam inserts should feel good, especially for the riding position of the R1250R, which is just about perfect for my needs. Hope to get them later this week (a week late).
JC

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Got the grips today. And also found a little can of hair spray, so I'm ready to start the job. Will remove the bar end weights, since I don't want to stretch them that much. Does anybody have the torque value for those bolts? They're not listed in the owner's manual (only the handlebar bolts, which I also just replaced, since I removed the nav cradle). Thanks gang.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Job done. Tested the torque on the bar end bolts by marking the bolts first, and it was about 20 ft/lbs. So after polishing the heads (also polished the heads of the handlebar bolts), re-torqued them at that setting. And below is the end result. They fit perfectly. And the polished bolts too :).

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts