BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a new Montengo Blue R1200R in March. This is my first boxer-engined bike but I have owned 21 other motorcycles in my life. I like the bike a lot at this point.

Here is my question. After starting the engine the entire bike is shaking pretty terribly at idle. The mirrors , the handlebars are visibly shaking. Once up to speed everything smooths out just fine. Never had another bike that had this "feature" so I am wondering is this a problem or just a characteristic of the boxer engine and the R1200R? Anyone else experience this?

Thanks
kerplunk

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have ~750 miles on my 2013 R1200R and I haven't noticed this behavior. This is my first BMW so this bike is my only experience with them.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
After starting the engine the entire bike is shaking pretty terribly at idle. The mirrors , the handlebars are visibly shaking. Once up to speed everything smooths out just fine.

This is entirely characteristic of this boxer engine, Kerplunk, although it does sound as if yours MAY be a bit more pronounced than is usual. Your reaction largely depends on what you have been accustomed to - if you are fresh off (say) any Japanese 4-cyl bike with its sewing machine smoothness the boxer certainly does feel strange. The key is that it smooths out once under way.

But do check with your dealer at the first service - it may be that there is a slight irregularity in timing, idle, or some other area. Maybe, too, he might let you sit on another R engined bike he has, at idle, to compare with your own if you're not satisfied.

Stick with it anyway - it will soon become just another trait that you will forget all about it! FWIW - I had EXACTLY the same reaction the first time I rode a boxer-engined R1100R way back in 1998 - and every one of my R-series since then - about six of them - has had this characteristic.

L of S

outer Brisbane, SE Queensland, Australia

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick reply. I wish you would have said, "Yes, they all do this." Now I have to get the bike to the dealer to see what is the problem. And I only have 190 miles on the bike. I better not end up regretting that I bought a BMW!

:(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am going to take a video tomorrow and post it for you all. I think that'll give me a better indication of whether I need to go to the dealer as soon as possible or I'm okay waiting until I hit my first service.

This is entirely characteristic of this boxer engine, Kerplunk, although it does sound as if yours MAY be a bit more pronounced than is usual. Your reaction largely depends on what you have been accustomed to - if you are fresh off (say) any Japanese 4-cyl bike with its sewing machine smoothness the boxer certainly does feel strange. The key is that it smooths out once under way.

But do check with your dealer at the first service - it may be that there is a slight irregularity in timing, idle, or some other area. Maybe, too, he might let you sit on another R engined bike he has, at idle, to compare with your own if you're not satisfied.

Stick with it anyway - it will soon become just another trait that you will forget all about it! FWIW - I had EXACTLY the same reaction the first time I rode a boxer-engined R1100R way back in 1998 - and every one of my R-series since then - about six of them - has had this characteristic.

L of S

outer Brisbane, SE Queensland, Australia

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
I would just put the 600 miles on it and than for the 1st service they will do the TPS any way. It's probably all it needs.
OK - delete my post #3: they all do this!

I'd wait until the 600mi is up (but than again I'm used to this characteristic,
and so I suggest you will be in time!).

Whatever - DO NOt let it spoil your enjoyment of what is a fine bike - probably the most under-rated in its class.

L of S

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
The boxer shakes a little, but it shouldn't look as though your bike is emulating a paint can shaker. That suggests a trip to the dealer and an engine adjustment.

·
Registered
265 Posts
No one has asked what the temperature is outside for you when you start i tand what type of oil you are running. If it is still pretty cold and you are running something like 20w50 then the oil may just be a bit sluggish during startup.

Also as others have mentioned it could be a valve timing issue, which your 600 mi service should catch.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It was in the 60's today and the bike still has under 600 miles so is still running factory oil.

No one has asked what the temperature is outside for you when you start i tand what type of oil you are running. If it is still pretty cold and you are running something like 20w50 then the oil may just be a bit sluggish during startup.

Also as others have mentioned it could be a valve timing issue, which your 600 mi service should catch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I didn't get a chance to take a video today as planned but I did start the bike and it honestly does remind me of a paint shaker. I have owned sewing machine smooth Honda's/Kawis/Yamahas, grumbling Triumph triples, parallel twins from BMW and Triumph, and even a couple of Harleys. So far this BMW takes the prize for shaking at idle.

I'm going to try to rack up my 600 miles so I can get it in for the service and get it remedied. I'm a 90 minute ride from the nearest dealer (Gina's in Iowa City).

--Kerplunk

The boxer shakes a little, but it shouldn't look as though your bike is emulating a paint can shaker. That suggests a trip to the dealer and an engine adjustment.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
I'm going to try to rack up my 600 miles so I can get it in for the service and get it remedied. I'm a 90 minute ride from the nearest dealer (Gina's in Iowa City).--Kerplunk

It certainly doesn't sound quite right, kerp. I was just out on my R (~3500 km from new) and took deliberate note of the vibes at idle - nothing like what you describe!

Do not want to even try to teach you how to suck eggs, kerp (whatever does that mean, and where does it come from?) but if I were you I'd send a detailed e-m to the dealer well before turning up, so that they can have an opportunity to think about it and maybe even seek advice from elsewhere if they are puzzled. As I am! - do keep us posted...

L of S

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Bad Vibration

One possible cause is the end of a throttle cable that has been inadvertently pulled up out of it's seat. It causes a bad vibration like the throttle bodies are badly out of synch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good news for me:clap:. Before going out for a ride today I pulled the negative battery cable for a few minutes. I reinstalled the cable, turned on the key and rolled the throttle to 100% (not sure if this is really necessary) and turned off the key. I then proceeded to start the bike and the shaking was noticeably reduced to what I would consider an acceptable level. I then proceeded to go for a nice 100+ mile ride. What a wonderful bike!

As I was sitting at a stoplight on the way home I guy and his wife pulled up next to me in a brand new Ford F150. He said, "You raced any Harleys with that?" My response was, of course, no since I don't race anyone on public roads. He then said, "If they were smart they wouldn't bother because you'd whip them on that bike." I'm not so sure about that but it just goes to show how much of a looker this R1200R really is!

I'll pay attention to the shaking this week and if it returns I'll give my dealer a call and will setup an appointment for my first service and to see what is happening.

Thanks,
Kerplunk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts