BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 R1200R
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I love long distance riding. Despite the naked aspects of our bikes, I dont mind the tonnes of insects, the neck strain and the knee pain! On 27 Feb this year I rode down to Jeffreys Bay from Johannesburg for the first Bike Festival of the year in South Africa. It was 1200km and I had planned initially to stop over somewhere along the route to rest. But having reached halfway i met another solo rider on a Harley Ultraglide. We decided to try and make the ride in a day. It rained for the latter half of the ride. You know that uncomfortable wet feeling when water hits your underpants. Imagine that for hours! Got into the coastal town that night at 7pm.

Spent the weekend riding around the town and getting to the beaches. Lots of gin, good music, bikes. After getting lost a few times, and my phone getting water logged and not having a GPS, i bought the Navigator VI at the bikefest. Got a reasonably good deal. Massive difference! should have bought it years ago!

Rode solo onto Cape Town. Roughly 800km of riding that day. Stopped in small towns i had not seen since I was a kid. Found a coastal hideway called StruisBaai. Untouched beaches. Beautiful.

If you are ever planning a ride, South Africa has some amazing roads. Definitelybuilt by an enthusiast. I particularly enjoyed a stretch from Bredasdrop to Caledon. Excellent condition tar, fast seeping corners, some tighter turns as well as you move in and around the smaller mountains.

Then got into Hout Bay that afternoon. Did the usual fish, calamari and chips. Spent a few days riding all the famous routes. Clarens drive along the coast is magnificent. Franschoek and the mountain pass was windy. Dropped my phone onto the roadside - smashed! But the views were spectacular.

Then rode back to Johannesburg in a day, 16 hours, 1600km. Bike performed flawlessly! But my knees cant take the punishment! I'm going to buy a GS!

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hi Shannon, great review.

I’m a mere 1.74 but also found the seat height too low.

Worth considering a Wunderlich high seat before jumping ship. Expensive, but not as much as a GS!

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
5,877 Posts
Great ride, and 1600 km in a day - I’m impressed!.

Neat little cameo in your mirror there. 😄

·
Premium Member
2016 R1200R
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ArbOI I'll look into a higher seat. I'm 1.76m and the you're right - the seat is low.

@Panzermann Thanks. Didn't plan it when i stopped! I had to get a thai massage after the trip to recover!
Below: This is Clarens Drive along the Cape coast! Barely any cars.

And this is Chapmans Peak Drive

·
Registered
52 Posts
I went with sargent high seat and suburban machinery peg lowering and that solved problem for me.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2016 R1200R
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I went with sargent high seat and suburban machinery peg lowering and that solved problem for me.

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk
Thanks @Bkh Didnt know about these options. Will enquire once our lockdown period is over. Those seats look like high quality items

·
2,811 Posts
Before you give your R12RLC featherweight for a GS @ShannonZA, you might want to look at getting a high seat and Knights lower foot pegs, but I suspect a taller seat might fix your knee issues. The thing with the LC is that you sit in the bike, rather than on it’ll it. So seat height is something that needs to be considered. That said, doing 1600ks in a single ride - no bike is going to fix the sore knee and rear end issues. Worth looking an air cushion as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2016 R1200R
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good points. To be fair, i had injured my knees over the years plus a few bike accidents so at 46, they are not in the best of shape. I literally was stopping every 100kms to stretch toward the end. I would reach a fuel stop, drop my riding jeans in full view of everyone to apply a medicated cream. Must have looked crazy!
I just rode out this morning btw, I really love this bike! Roads are empty of course. Which made it even better!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Good points. To be fair, i had injured my knees over the years plus a few bike accidents so at 46, they are not in the best of shape. I literally was stopping every 100kms to stretch toward the end. I would reach a fuel stop, drop my riding jeans in full view of everyone to apply a medicated cream. Must have looked crazy!
I just rode out this morning btw, I really love this bike! Roads are empty of course. Which made it even better!
I purchased a lowered GS partly because of the issue you describe. I was sold on the engine when my 09 1200 blew out the rear end for the second time, and I was offered a new 1200 wc RR as a loaner. I rode it around the Santa Fe area for a couple of days. Loved the bike and engine except for the cramped knees and I am only 5'7" and change, 30-32" inseam. I've loved the GS though, far more bike than I deserve. I think it's beautiful and I like that it's a cult bike or sorts. :) If you look at my past posts, probably late 2015 early 2016, I compared the two bikes pretty closely. The roadster was my second choice in comparison--and there was no third choice, but I definitely recognized what a fine ride it was. The GS offered a lot of things as standard that I would have to add to make a new roadster road-worthy for the type of riding I do--look at my ride reports. Those standard things mitigated the cost difference. Well over 50k miles later, I remain very satisfied, though it is a BIG bike---and I am not. Cramped knees are a problem for me, and I don't have the medical knee history you do, but not on the GS. You don't have to jump logs or ride waist deep to have a GS

·
Premium Member
2016 R1200R
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I purchased a lowered GS partly because of the issue you describe. I was sold on the engine when my 09 1200 blew out the rear end for the second time, and I was offered a new 1200 wc RR as a loaner. I rode it around the Santa Fe area for a couple of days. Loved the bike and engine except for the cramped knees and I am only 5'7" and change, 30-32" inseam. I've loved the GS though, far more bike than I deserve. I think it's beautiful and I like that it's a cult bike or sorts. :) If you look at my past posts, probably late 2015 early 2016, I compared the two bikes pretty closely. The roadster was my second choice in comparison--and there was no third choice, but I definitely recognized what a fine ride it was. The GS offered a lot of things as standard that I would have to add to make a new roadster road-worthy for the type of riding I do--look at my ride reports. Those standard things mitigated the cost difference. Well over 50k miles later, I remain very satisfied, though it is a BIG bike---and I am not. Cramped knees are a problem for me, and I don't have the medical knee history you do, but not on the GS. You don't have to jump logs or ride waist deep to have a GS
Thanks for that info. I do want to ride offroad as well. Not serious offroad, but decent gravel roads. Lots of that to explore locally. I can fit on a standard GS. Not flatfooted but almost. Not so on the Adventure. That's too tall for me.
GS is definitely on my radar. BTW, GS is the most popular bike on our roads at the top end of the market. Its a commuter, weekend and adventure/tourer locally. See a tonne of them on the roads in the mornings and evenings. I always wondered if the GS ergonomics were better than the roadster on long distances. Since we're the same height and inseam, your experience confirms it. Thanks

·
2,811 Posts
The GS & Adventurer is BMW’s global top sellers. I would hazard a guess that most don't go off-road. As a long-distance tourer, it's about as good as it gets, albeit in a naked form factor. The ergonomics, versatility and all-roads adaptability is something I've always found very appealing. From a personal perspective, it's not a realistic option for my needs. The additional weight & seat height is just something I couldn't feel comfortable with being on the vertically challenged end of the scale. That said, it wouldn't take much to change my mind on a GS, but an Adventure would be out off my shopping list - just too much bike for my needs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: ShannonZA
1 - 11 of 11 Posts