BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
BMW R 1250 R.

• Style Exclusive with new paint finish Mineral Grey metallic. Pollux metallic matt, Style Exclusive and Option 719 Stardust metallic are dropped.
  • Style HP renamed Style Sport.
  • Disengageable capability ABS is dropped.
  • Changeover to EU-5.
  • New optional equipment: Driving Modes Pro option now includes engine drag torque control.
  • Extended optional equipment: Driving Modes Pro now includes Core Screen Sport.
  • New optional equipment: M Lightweight battery replaces previous HP battery.
  • New optional equipment: Option 719 milled parts package Shadow with engine housing cover front & cylinder head covers anodized in black/silver.
  • New optional equipment: Option 719 milled parts package Shadow II with mirrors, hand levers, rider footrests and foot lever as well as expansion tank covers anodized in Black/Silver.
  • New optional equipment: Option 719 milled parts packages Storm/Storm II with the same parts as in option 719 milled parts packages Shadow/Shadow II.
  • Option 719 HP milled parts package, HP milled parts package II and option 719 seat are dropped.
  • Sports silencer replaces previous HP rear silencer.

·
Super Moderator
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Mineral Grey metallic sounds nice to me. Maybe it will be as good as Thunder Grey? 😁

·
Registered
53 Posts
I wonder if any of it will be retro fitted to 2019 versions ? I'm thinking of software updates etc ?

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
No switchable ABS? Not sure I like that one, given my propensity to use mine like a GS on occasion.

Engine drag torque control???? Engineers :rolleyes:

I wonder if "lightweight battery" implies Lithium?

·
Registered
132 Posts
From the S1000XR:

In addition to a smoother slipper clutch, the new S 1000 XR also adopts engine drag torque control (MSR) for the first time. The electronically controlled MSR prevents the rear wheel from slipping as a result of abrupt throttling or downshifting"

·
Registered
187 Posts
I wonder if they will have a "red plug" like what is available for the S1000R for overriding the traction/ABS controls... For the track junkies etc.

·
Super Moderator
946 Posts
Reactions: sturgeon

·
Super Moderator
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Engine drag torque control????
My understanding is it reduces engine braking where required to reduced the prospect of rear wheel lock in lower gears and high rpm.

The current clutch is torque assisted, a by-product of which is that it will act in a slipper fashion, but its action is relatively crude when the slipper action comes into effect. With the engine drag control implemented, it should only need to come into effect if changing down would over-rev the engine.

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
FAAAAAAAAARK! And still only one gimball-mounted gyroscope-stabilised Can't-Bus-powered cup-holder.

Reactions: Stricko

·
Registered
168 Posts
I don’t see anything there that makes me wish I’d held off on my ‘20 in favor of waiting until ‘21...and I’m glad I snagged the Pollux Metallic Matte in the one year it was offered.

·
Registered
132 Posts
It is a pity BMW-UK cannot update their web site. Instead you get Error 404 if you want to look at the R1250R/RS.

I am also not a fan of the rather dull colours they seem to be coming out with. I also think you should be able to select any colour with any equipment level - so Sport colours with Exclusive equipment.

·
Super Moderator
5,524 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wonder if any of it will be retro fitted to 2019 versions ? I'm thinking of software updates etc ?
You probably don’t want Euro 5 - what is not mentioned is any effect on performance. Engine drag control will likely be useful only to the very hardest chargers. And if you don’t want to be able to turn off ABS, have the self-discipline not to. 😄

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was thinking more in line of adding the various extra screen options that are available on the sport model.

·
Registered
88 Posts

“... the unfaired R1250R, gets much the same set of changes. Again the switchable ABS is gone and Euro5 compliance comes in, with tweaks to the ‘Option 719’ packages as ‘HP’ milled components are dropped and a variety of other milled and anodised bolt-ons are introduced.

“A new ‘Mineral Grey metallic’ paint option is also introduced while the old ‘Pollux metallic matt’ and ‘Option 719 Stardust’ schemes are dropped.”

·
Registered
17 Posts
I wonder if they changed the exhaust, neither picture above shows that side. Stayed with the Brembo's too.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I wonder if they changed the exhaust, neither picture above shows that side.
“Sports silencer replaces previous HP rear silencer” — not sure precisely what that means, though.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts