BMW R1200R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
"‘Sports silencer’ option replaces the previous ‘HP’ version ". From the photo of the RS in the original link posted by @colroubaix it looks like the stock silencer is the same as or similar to the humongous stainless or the chrome thing that comes with various option packages.

The MY2020 HP silencer is this one ... I assume the MY2021 version will be different.

Annotation 2020-08-03 102940.jpg

·
Registered
183 Posts
“Sports silencer replaces previous HP rear silencer” — not sure precisely what that means, though.
Good chance the HP Sports silencer looks the same but may be slightly different internally for Euro 5.

·
Super Moderator
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Euro5 looks like it has affected noise levels (noting reference to Sport replacing HP muffler). It could also result in a different cam profile and fuelling, which may impact power. Perhaps a larger catalytic converter. Interesting articles here and here.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Euro5 looks like it has affected noise levels (noting reference to Sport replacing HP muffler). It could also result in a different cam profile and fuelling, which may impact power. Perhaps a larger catalytic converter. Interesting articles here and here.
I'm all in favor of more quiet vehicles on the street, both motos and autos. Listening to the loud pipes cruising or blasting through the neighborhood is an annoyance.

·
Super Moderator
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I don’t think there is a colour in the entire BMW range that appeals
Bag a bargain MY2020 now, then Stricko, before the MY2021 models flood the showroom.

·
Registered
684 Posts
To be honest, I hope the 2020 model year BMWs aren't cursed like the rest of the planet. Pandemic, 2 continents ablaze and fascist pinheads ascending to power.
We need a new f-ing model year to make us happy again. Just dumb, happy and glad to be tootling along a curvy road, high above a sea of smiling dolphins.
And I am thinking crazy things, like scraping off my Bonneville, that gets ridden infrequently and getting an R1250RS.
What is holding me back are those colours! Black is nice, the blue is OK and Austin Yellow is awful....but why no new colours? It's like a do-over of the 2020 Year of the Virus colours. Considering we need to move on from 20, why not Red, for starters? Or a nice retro white or light blue?
Come on, BMW!

Just think if only....

·
Registered
169 Posts
First actual photos (five of them, but you have to click on the photo below to link to the multi-pic post) of the new ‘21 that I’ve seen...looks like the engine accents/guards have changed from black to aluminum. That and the new gray color are the only visual changes I note at first glance:

EDIT: No, I guess you don’t have to click on the photo to see the five different shots...clicking on the arrow on the right of the photo below appears to advance it.

http://instagr.am/p/CGBAnn_pbcN/

·
Super Moderator
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
This example has the Option 719 engine front cover and head covers, but otherwise looks the same as the MY20 model other than the new Exclusive paint colour (which I think looks quite elegant). And, of course, the huge muffler – not yet revealed in these photos.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Exclusive paint colour (which I think looks quite elegant).
I am glad that I grabbed a 2020 Pollux Metallic Matte this year as I love the satin-sheen dark green, but the grey-blue-black combo is admittedly more attractive than I believed it would be...but then again I'm a sucker for black and blue together, and that glossy gray gives them an -- as you say -- elegant foundation.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Just noticed that the front blinkers are different (slimmer stem and shape (and different bulb?)), and the mirrors as well (though that may be part of a 719 package).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mirrors, engine guard, reservoir covers, levers all appear to be billet 719 options

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Reactions: r0ckrat

·
2,685 Posts
IMHO that's one ugly muffler. It looks like Akrapovic will do well with the new model release. I assume the curb weight will be unchanged from the previous years model. I'm just wondering when BMW will start looking at some weight saving in their new designs from the current model @ 239kg & 243(RS).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
207 Posts
That muffler is enormous! Makes the 1200 look slim.

Think the Multistrada does a great job with their muffler. But I have not seen their Euro-5 version.

·
Super Moderator
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
There might be a bit of leg pulling going on here. Just sayin’ ... 😉

·
Super Moderator
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Just noticed that the front blinkers are different (slimmer stem and shape (and different bulb?)), and the mirrors as well (though that may be part of a 719 package).
They’re simply the LED versions, as per the 1200, RC.

·
Super Moderator
5,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I'm just wondering when BMW will start looking at some weight saving in their new designs from the current model @ 239kg
Unlikely, Mike. Reviewers tend not to be critical of weight if the bike carries it well, and similarly for buyers.

Heck only the other day I was reading a review of the Benelli 752 which puts out a modest 56 kW but weighs in at a portly 228kg wet. The weight barely got a mention.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts