BMW R1200R Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
2,685 Posts
Unlike, professional motorcycle reviewers, I talk to everyday riders/owners on my extensive travels, and it is a topic that comes up. I'm not saying it's a purchasing show-stopper or massive negative; it's more of a nitpick conversation, albeit a valid one. I'm not expert (a drip under pressure), but I'm a high-value customer who's invested his hard-earned for the last twenty years with BMW (cars & bikes), but never so one-eyed or brand defensive on areas of possible improvement. I'm open to asking questions why? One thing I've learnt in business if you want to know what your customers think, forget the experts, ask your customers. I suspect it all comes down to cost. Oh, and the size of the muffler still sucks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
The muffler comes down to two things - emission + noise regulations, and cost. Meeting the regs and making it lighter would increase the cost and reduce the lifespan of the muffler...

·
2,685 Posts
Still ugly tho’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think once weight gets down to the 500'ish lb. range -- and the 1250 is at, what, 526 lbs. -- there's less general concern about weight...it's a solution of relative diminishing returns at that point, which would account for there being purportedly less discussion about weight-saving measures. My previous bike was a '16 FJR, and that porky beast weighed in at (a top-heavy) 650 pounds, and the weight issue was of consistent, perpetual discussion. My bike before that was a cruiser that weighed in around 700 pounds, and while cruiser riders seem to worry less about weight than other types of riders, it still came up repeatedly.

I've never seen the 1250R's weight as an issue at all (especially given it's down-low boxer weight), though, granted, given my couple previous bikes before it the difference in weight for me is marked and, to me, it seems remarkably nimble. I suppose a few more pounds loss would be fine, but I wouldn't want it less than 500 lbs, maybe 510...I plan to do a bit of light touring on it, and the highway stability (and buttress against semi-truck gusts) that the present 526-lb. weight provides is a real plus for me.

·
2,685 Posts
Yes, yes, I understand all that and agree. I get low-down weight and stability stuff. Shaft vs chain driven. I've had 4x R12R & 1x1150 and never found it an issue. However, all I was saying why with all advances technology year-on-year perhaps BMW could look at weight saving as the new models evolve. Nothing more to add as I can feel a pi$$ competition starting.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Yes, yes, I understand all that and agree. I get low-down weight and stability stuff. Shaft vs chain driven. I've had 4x R12R & 1x1150 and never found it an issue. However, all I was saying why with all advances technology year-on-year perhaps BMW could look at weight saving as the new models evolve. Nothing more to add as I can feel a pi$$ competition starting.
I didn't mean to add to / start a competition of views on an issue where there's no winning perspective...weight's a very subjective thing, which is really all my previous post was meant to convey. For me and my intended purpose(s) for the bike, the current weight's great, but I definitely appreciate that for others a savings in weight would be a real boon and make a sporty, nimble bike even more so.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Makes one wonder - does the USD fork save weight over the tele? That would be evidence of engineering for weight loss in the R and RS models...

41 - 47 of 47 Posts