BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as I was having a general poke around the bike, and I found this lone connector just above the radiator. The picture is not perfect, but that plug has three pins.

I broke the DMM out and, assuming that the rightmost pin is Ground, the middle one reads 9V and the left one reads 12V.

Any ideas what the connector is for or what it was connected to? I have a theory, but I'd be interested in more knowledgeable opinions first. It is not the SatNav power, as that's already connected up, by the way.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wonder Wheel? Heated grips? Pillion ejector seat?
Got the wheel, got the grips. Can't find part number for ejector seat, please advise 😆

My theory is auxiliary LED lights... but if that's the case, the previous owner has removed the extra switch that goes over the mirror block by the left hand side switchblock, but has left some of the wiring. I'm confused.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Got the wheel, got the grips. Can't find part number for ejector seat, please advise 😆

My theory is auxiliary LED lights... but if that's the case, the previous owner has removed the extra switch that goes over the mirror block by the left hand side switchblock, but has left some of the wiring. I'm confused.
Sorry, had to sign a non-disclosure agreement in order to get the ejector seat installed.

You could be right about the lights - I'd forgotten about those. Hard to tell exactly, but here's a snippet from the installation guide ... Implication is that the wiring is already there, with the end capped if no lights are installed (similarly to GPS connector on most modern BMWs).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I could trade you the part number for the smokescreen generator...

That makes sense - looks like when the add-on was removed, they did not bother to re-tie the connector or replace the protective cap. On the bright side, it would be a somewhat safe assumption that the lights are already programmed in the ECU then... so whenever I want to cough up £300-400 for some LED lights, at least I don't need to worry about the software side (small consolation)!

Am I right in thinking the part number for an end cap is 77538526536? I may as well tidy it up in the meantime.

Thanks for the quick reply!

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I could trade you the part number for the smokescreen generator...

That makes sense - looks like when the add-on was removed, they did not bother to re-tie the connector or replace the protective cap. On the bright side, it would be a somewhat safe assumption that the lights are already programmed in the ECU then... so whenever I want to cough up £300-400 for some LED lights, at least I don't need to worry about the software side (small consolation)!

Am I right in thinking the part number for an end cap is 77538526536? I may as well tidy it up in the meantime.

Thanks for the quick reply!
I once owned a Kawasaki H1, my first and last smokescreen generator. It was on a par with a WW2 destroyer. But if you can get me a good hand o'god protector for self-righting me when I fall down, that'd be nice.

Sorry I've no idea if that's the right cap - my diagram is from the OEM repair DVD - the only part number they show is the "2" in the diagram. You might try a dealer that has installed the aux lights for a customer - they probably toss out the caps, but a zealous parts guy might keep a few. On my 2016 model, I can just barely see it - it's mostly obscured by the left air-intake, else I'd pop it apart and take a pic. It does look like the longer of the two you reference.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Checked with the quartermaster.. no hand'o god but they have a cup holder.

I went out on a limb and bought the cap off ebay. For £7, you get a long cap, a short cap and a couple of mini plugs. One of them must be it. My local dealer has ignored my last two emails about retrofitting other bits to the bike... Until he replies to those, he's not getting more business :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
The more I look at the diagram, the more I wonder if the cap is still there? As I said, it's pretty well obscured behind the air intake.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Might be worth checking. The pins are not looking their best on mine, so if there's no cap, one is not a bad idea.

·
Super Moderator
5,007 Posts
I have to say I enjoyed reading this thread! 😅

The measured voltages seem to indicate LED auxiliary lights. If you had an oscilloscope, you'd likely find the measured 9V is actually a pulse code modulated 12V on a 75% duty cycle.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Checked with the quartermaster.. no hand'o god but they have a cup holder.
I had a cup holder that doubled as a garage door opener. But then I lost her one day when I accidentally pressed the ejector seat button. C'est la vie. I now make do without one, can't afford another after replacing the seat.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My bet's for the aux lights, 9V for the low beam and 12V for the high beam. That said, I'm half wondering if I could use that for a hardwired garage door trigger.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I had a cup holder that doubled as a garage door opener. But then I lost her one day when I accidentally pressed the ejector seat button. C'est la vie. I now make do without one, can't afford another after replacing the seat.
OMG - Working from home saved me on reading this one... The wife must wonder if I'm really working or not...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts