BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to temporarily remove the nav cradle.

Can the cable be unplugged AT the Nav Cradle, or do I have to find where it connects to the main harness down in the bowels of the front fairing/cowl?

I hope I don't have to start peeling all my tupperware off.

This is me, Moto-Rama, but my passwords all came out in the washing machine, so I used a generic google login.

Jim

2022 R1250RS ( I love this bike!)

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,696 Posts
You’d need to remove the cradle then disassemble it to access the plugs that connect to the rather delicate looking circuit board. Then I’m not sure if you could remove/replace the entry grommet without damage, Jim.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You’d need to remove the cradle then disassemble it to access the plugs that connect to the rather delicate looking circuit board. Then I’m not sure if you could remove/replace the entry grommet without damage, Jim.
That's what I was hoping to not hear....:(
Those Visigoths!
Thanks for the quick reply!
Although I suppose I could take a peek to see if it's got a little plug behind the grommet. It seems logical that the designers wouldn't want to have "factory dudes" mudging about in the cradle.
Now to find my surgical kit....

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,696 Posts
Just thinking about it more, the plugs won’t go through the hole the grommet fits into, so you’d need to cut the wires and rejoin (or somehow remove/replace them from the plug).

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,696 Posts
Are you sure you can’t simply reach the connector from between the wheel and the fairing? It’s at the front of the tank on the RHS.

Reactions: pbansen

·
Registered
919 Posts
Are you sure you can’t simply reach the connector from between the wheel and the fairing? It’s at the front of the tank on the RHS.
I'll take another look, but I looks like the cable is bundled with some others and goes between the frame and some other parts, including the radiator.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As it turns out, it is near the snorkel but only an alien with a 1" diameter forearm with powerful pincers for digits would be able to access it with enough dexterity to allow them to separate the two parts of the connector. (without disassembling the right side fairing)
And No. I do not wish that I had kept the R1200R so that I could disconnect the cradle with fewer steps.. :)

I have a tool with little grabby things that I can reach it with, but since it isn't anchored securely, I can only move it around without being able to get it apart.

"Rats!"
I'll be sure to whine loudly if it turns out to be a painful process.

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,696 Posts
As with the R, take particular note of the shoulder length of each bodywork screw and mark outlier locations with painters tape. On the R, there are three different lengths.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I took some of the left side off a few weeks ago, and noticed the fastener heads are also varied. The ones that fasten the plastic bodywork have a wider, built-in washer shape, the others are smaller.
Typically I take a lot of photos with my old Polaraoid camera as I remove fasteners, then put the hardware in plastic bags with the photo, showing where they came out.
I worked for an independent VW-Porsche shop in high school, and the owner used this method whenever he had to take something complicated apart. We had a library of notebooks with handwritten notes/photos and in some cases spare fasteners in taped to the pages. Crude but effective.
Fast forward 35 years, I used a similar method while working on computers and networking gear.

Sometimes I record a tear down, and do a narration on my phone, then screen cast it to the TV in my garage if I need to refer to it.
I hate not being able to reassemble things!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts