BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Buddy said xpel H9903A worked on his bike but don’t see it on their site. Thoughts or alternatives?

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Here's an alternative to film, from my recent R9T post:

Have now installed the HELLA headlight protector - took all of a cuppla minutes to do so! Noting here some mention of warming/ heating the tabs with a hairdryer or heat-gun to make them a little pliable, I simply filled a bowl with boiling water and dipped the tabs into that for about half a minute. The protector then slipped onto the headlight without any problem. Eyeballing it, there's ample clearance between the inner surface of the protector and the glass headlight lens, so I have no concerns about the two rubbing and marking.

The little PUIG flyscreen had to be removed to install the HELLA unit, and fitted back easily enough over the headlight protector, but I took the additional precaution of placing a tiny almost invisible silicone 'bumper' in-place to separate flyscreen and headlight cover.

Thanks to whoever brought up this inexpensive neat-looking HELLA solution to a possible $500 problem! :)

Lawrence of Suburbia ('39 model) - living blissfully by the sea in Redland Bay, near Brisbane, SE Queensland, Australia. In January 2020 acquired a beautiful 2017-built/ 2018-MY R9T Roadster in Option 719 Blueplanet Metallic.

·
Super Moderator
5,182 Posts

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Looks good, Lawrence. Is it detachable so that you can clean road film from the interior surfaces?
It is indeed good, Pz. Comes on and off like a stripper's knickers in only seconds for cleaning of the h/l lens. Held in-place by three moulded-in lugs hardly visible at 2 o'clock, 6 o'clock, 10 o'clock EST.

HELLA brand, well-known and respected. I can post a link if any interest - I think I paid about AUD$18.

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Super Moderator
5,182 Posts
I see the clips now. Is it specific to the RnineT or just generic round.

The LC headlight is made by Hella - would be nice if they made one to fit that model.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Generic round - would fit any pre-LC R. I believe actually produced for a multitude of HELLA automobile fog-lights, but fits perfectly onto any round light of appropriate diameter.

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
The LC headlight is made by Hella - would be nice if they made one to fit that model.

I'm very sure that you'd be familiar with the range of custom headlight covers for a multitude of bikes made by AMHP - Australian Motorcycle Headlight Protectors, tho' they have changed their name in recent times to something snappier and meaningless...

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Must have been some rainstorm! Is it conceivable you may not have secured it properly? I have no vested interest in AMHP, just referring it...

·
Super Moderator
5,182 Posts
I'm not keen on the Velcro tabs that AMHP uses for 'fixing' the protector – it looks makeshift.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Yes, we get nasty rainstorms here on occasion. The fixing tabs did not adhere. And yes LoS, I cleaned everything properly and stuck them on properly. I even went so far as to buy some new ones since the ones that came with it looked old and a bit sketchy. I bought the same 3M Dual Lock that came with the protector. I've used this stuff on other bikes that have seen far more severe service than the Roadster. I've no idea why the tabs didn't stick in this case. I had a similar protector on my F800GS for years (not AMHP). I think I changed the tabs on it once in 9 years, even though they weren't really coming off, simply because the protector manufacturer recommended doing it annually. The AMHP protector is suitably buried in a garbage dump somewhere in Manitoba.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I saw this topic came up some time ago, thought I'd chime in briefly. Couldn't find the thread otherwise I would have posted there and it's not important enough to waste much time looking.

2 cents: Unless you live someplace where there is an extraordinarily high level of gravel around, the simple stick-on vinyl headlight protectors from Lamin-X at around 20 bucks a pop are almost invisible, never need removing, and should provide perfectly adequate protection.

JtL

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Where I live, road debris flung up from car and truck tires on paved roads is a worse hazard than gravel. I've had to replace car windshields more than once because of it.

Lamin-x works to keep a shattered headlight held together, but in the case of the R1200RLC, is very difficult to fit properly to the light, due to the odd shape.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Mine went on reasonably easily on the 1250 which I think is a similar headlamp, with the aid of a hair dryer to soften it. A bit of faffing about to make it sit right, but not too bad.

It would be nice if there was anyone even vaguely local with either a 1200 or 1250 to compare notes etc. Not a popular bike in these parts and I have yet to see another one - of either - since I bought mine.

JtL

1 - 15 of 15 Posts