BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find when riding my 2017 r1200r at lower speeds around town, 2nd gear feels too high when turning from a 35 mph road to a residential 25 mph road. I usually am feathering the clutch in 2nd Through the turn or wanting to shift into 1st...which seems wrong. The gearing is what I like least about the bike. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
4,787 Posts
I’ve never felt that concern. My bike is happy down to 2000 rpm so 25 mph (40 km/h) creates no issues.

Certainly feathering the clutch through a turn is not good for control.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe I’m just slowing too much, with pedestrians, kids, etc... I usually Decelerate to 15-20 mph which is 1st gear for me. Feels like it lugs a bit at that speed in 2nd.

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I know exactly what you mean. On my 2009 roadster, in the city, I always felt I was looking for something in between 2nd and 3rd or 1st and 2nd. That was one of the things I first noticed about my 16 GS. The gearing changed and it is geared just like I would like for city riding. I can hover in 2nd or 3rd or1st if necessary. Better to ride at too high rpms than too low, ie a lower gear.

·
Registered
40 Posts
(Funny - I have thought I had been the only one having this issue)
Same issue here, and as I felt turning in such places at 2k RPM was not advisable -
Since engine is close to its bottom-limit RPM and I might need to slow further with pedestrians, kids, etc -
I used to feather the clutch,
And recently switched my method to down shifting instead,
Since even though the engine 'feels' busy/busier in the lower gear - in fact it hardly runs at ~3k RPM

·
Registered
548 Posts
I ride on 25, 30 mph roads frequently. 2nd gear seems fine to me. The only time I feel the need for 1st is in parking lots and turning into my driveway.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I don’t understand. What do you mean?
Perhaps that we bother ourselves with/nitpicking on unimportant questions, and as such next on our discussions agenda would be why the wheels go round and round;
the suggestion, therefore, is that we just ride the thing and simply watch where we are going, instead of asking ourselves/using our brain how to become better riders.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Perhaps that we bother ourselves with/nitpicking on unimportant questions, and as such next on our discussions agenda would be why the wheels go round and round;
the suggestion, therefore, is that we just ride the thing and simply watch where we are going, instead of asking ourselves/using our brain how to become better riders.
That was sarcasm. Nice job though!

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
All I am (was) saying is:
Ride the bike, mature with the bike, be one with the bike.You, my Friend, have the privilege to ride one of the easiest, friendliest bike around.
Enjoy.Really

1 - 12 of 12 Posts