BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2020 R1250R Pollux Metallic Matte
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning. New to the group but long-time rider. Home is the lakeshore of West Michigan. Used to work in motorsports and have been able to ride a lot of bikes. Even got to hang out with some cool people in Indy for MotoGP once upon a time. I don't ride every day but I love having bikes in the stable, even if just to look at while having a drink.

Just picked up what appears to be one of the last new 2020 R1250R's in the US. Sold my 1250GS after spending a few days on a rented R1200R riding through the Rockies (shout out to Riders-Share and Chris in Greeley, CO!) and realized that the R has the "sportiness" I was missing. I loved my GS but usually grabbed my other bike for ripping around town. I think the difference was that I climbed onto the GS, where I can throw a leg over the R. The GS was the best tourer I've owned but I admit that I just don't do those kinds of miles. More often, it's just a few hours with my sons and friends. The R is the perfect blend of comfort and sport.

Parts to be ordered this week include a Lamin-X headlight protector, Speedo Angel TFT protector, MAM head protection, and some kind of windscreen/bracket. I'm 5'10" and just want to reduce some of the pressure on my chest at higher speeds. I see that windshields are a common topic and I'm hoping for something short that fits on the BMW bracket. I like the look of the Wunderlich bracket (Part # 30450230) but need to see if it will fit a variety of windscreens.

My R is the Exclusive in Pollux matte. I'm torn on the color/finish and have considered wrapping the painted bits. Does anyone know if the tank and rear panel graphics have clear coat applied over them or if they'd peel off? I'd like to just leave them on even if they print through a bit. Anyone have experience?

And a list of previous bikes so you know how I came to own a 1250R (if I can help anyone looking for a comparison):
Honda 599 Hornet "Blue" - still own
BMW R1250GS Exclusive
Husqvarna TR650 Terra
Honda 919
Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
Ducati Hypermotard 1100S
BMW R1100S
Honda VFR1200
HD Ultra Classic
And a bunch of other sport and dirt bikes that aren't relevant but that I enjoyed immensely!

Thanks.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
112 Posts
Welcome, and congrats on your find!

my 2 cents is you might want to reconsider the TFT protective glass.
It introduces a reddish hue that takes away from the “pop” of the colors of the TFT. You may find info on the issue here somewhere.

- Michael

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
403 Posts
The GS was the best tourer I've owned but I admit that I just don't do those kinds of miles. More often, it's just a few hours with my sons and friends. The R is the perfect blend of comfort and sport.
Exactly why I sold my ‘16 FJR1300 for my R1250R.

Parts to be ordered this week include a Lamin-X headlight protector, Speedo Angel TFT protector, MAM head protection, and some kind of windscreen/bracket. I'm 5'10" and just want to reduce some of the pressure on my chest at higher speeds. I see that windshields are a common topic and I'm hoping for something short that fits on the BMW bracket. I like the look of the Wunderlich bracket (Part # 30450230) but need to see if it will fit a variety of windscreens.
Check the Classifieds here…I’m giving away a Speedo Angel (for postage) and have a cheap Puig that fits on the new BMW bracket.

My R is the Exclusive in Pollux matte. I'm torn on the color/finish and have considered wrapping the painted bits.
I have the Pollux as well. I’d recommend living with it for a while before wrapping it…I bet, like me, you’ll learn to really love the Pollux Metallic Matte. Btw, after using a couple others, including the popular Chemical Guys, the best detail spray I’ve found for our matte paint is Adam’s Matte Detailer.

·
Registered
R1250R
715 Posts
I just went for the basic Speedo Angel plastic protector - basically a simple thin flexible piece of clear plastic – just to protect against scratches, and I’ve had no issues with it.

But yeah lots of folks not happy with the glass protectors.

I went with the PUIG sports screen to take the pressure off my chest and to allow me to cruise at a half decent speed. It does the job but generates a lot of noise.
Vehicle Odometer Motor vehicle Gauge Measuring instrument

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
2020 R1250R Pollux Metallic Matte
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions. I haven't even looked at the classifieds but will do so.

I had a Speedo Angels tempered glass with anti-glare on my GS that I installed immediately after removing the protective film from BMW. I never noticed a lack of color and it seemed to protect the display very well but I concede that I didn't ride without it. Kind of like how the TV's all look different at Best Buy when side by side but you can't tell the difference once you get it home. On my new R, the protective film was obviously removed some time ago and the bezel has a noticeable mottling/discoloration. I'm hoping that a cover will reduce further damage and might make it look better.

Measuring instrument Font Auto part Electronic device Gadget

Regarding the color, I completely agree that Pollux deserves a chance. It's a cool color and definitely different. I'm more concerned with the maintenance and "scratchability" of the matte finish. I'll give the Adam's product a try. Thanks for the advice.

How does the small black plastic piece right in front of the seat handle scratching? The GS has a rubbery piece right there that is great for protecting the tank. Is the black piece on my bike resistant to scratching or do R riders add a tank protector?

So I looked at some other windscreen options and have seen reference to 1250R's that came with the screen from the factory. Some aftermarket screens mentioned that they only fit if the bike came with the factory windscreen. Does that mean with the BMW bracket (which I assume can be purchased separately) or is there a specific option I might be missing? I'm leaning towards the BMW sport screen or am intrigued by the MRA Variotouring with built-in spoiler. The 1200R I rode had a Puig with an added-on spoiler and it was great on the highway at 80mph. The MRA looks like a clean package.

Also, while I'm asking questions, does anyone know the diameter of the handlebars at the center? 1-1/4"? I've been using Quadlock for a while and want to make sure I buy the correct bracket for my phone mount.

Appreciate the feedback!

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
403 Posts
I’ve not noticed any scratching on the back piece in front of the seat…and, yes, if they indicate a shield only fits in place of an existing OEM shield, they’re saying it requires the OEM bracket, which can indeed be bought separately.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts