BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys

I am picking up my R1250R next week.

I need a screen, and from looking on here, the MRA Vario is recommended.

Can anyone tell me if the mounting frame from the R1200R will fit the 1250, as well as the screens.

I am also looking for luggage. I have all the mounting frames on the bike, so looking at either the standard BMW Luggage cases, or the SHAD.

What's everyones thoughts.

Out of interest, will most of the R1200R parts fit this 1250, such as mud slings, crash bars, engine cases.

Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you get that screen please feedback on its performance please? The screen issue is my main reluctance to buying the R as so many people give negative views. My current thoughts are that the large vstream touring screen may well do the job according to alot of comments i have read.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
There has been some argument here about whether the 1250 is a different bike or a 1200 with a new engine and clocks. I would say if everything will transfer across then its the same bike with a new engine and clocke, not a different bike.
I went for the shads for my 1200 as they were cheaper and could carry more, only downside is they need a separate key.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There has been some argument here about whether the 1250 is a different bike or a 1200 with a new engine and clocks. I would say if everything will transfer across then its the same bike with a new engine and clocke, not a different bike.
I went for the shads for my 1200 as they were cheaper and could carry more, only downside is they need a separate key.

Hi, yep fair point. When I go up to collect, I will be doing some comparisons with photos, as i currently have ventura luggage, so ideally would need the brackets. However they only list the 1200 on the site, so maybe the same, who knows.
With the Shads, do they just clip onto the standard frames on the bike, or does all the frame carriers need changed to Shads ones?

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
They both have the model designation K53 ...

·
Super Moderator
5,034 Posts
Guys

I am picking up my R1250R next week.

I need a screen, and from looking on here, the MRA Vario is recommended.

Can anyone tell me if the mounting frame from the R1200R will fit the 1250, as well as the screens.

I am also looking for luggage. I have all the mounting frames on the bike, so looking at either the standard BMW Luggage cases, or the SHAD.

What's everyones thoughts.

Out of interest, will most of the R1200R parts fit this 1250, such as mud slings, crash bars, engine cases.

Cheers
Paul
I suspect with screens they will be different, but the jury is still out as far as I know. Comparing the part numbers for the high screen for each model (e.g. REAL-OEM and Max-BMW) shows they are different. The mount has a different part number, but this could be simply be that the shape to cover the instrument panel - but who can be sure?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Hi, yep fair point. When I go up to collect, I will be doing some comparisons with photos, as i currently have ventura luggage, so ideally would need the brackets. However they only list the 1200 on the site, so maybe the same, who knows.
With the Shads, do they just clip onto the standard frames on the bike, or does all the frame carriers need changed to Shads ones?
You will need separate frames to fit shads.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looked at the screens. I've ordered a bracket, and a MRA Vario touring screen. The Bracket appears to be the same fitment as the R1200, as that is how BMW have listed it on the sale page.
Won't be getting it fitted until late June now, but will keep the post updated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Experience?

Looked at the screens. I've ordered a bracket, and a MRA Vario touring screen. The Bracket appears to be the same fitment as the R1200, as that is how BMW have listed it on the sale page.
Won't be getting it fitted until late June now, but will keep the post updated.
Did you mount the MRA Vario windscreen? With BMW mounting bracket? What are your thoughts; do you like it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
The BMW 1200 and 1250 screen brackets are different so not interchangeable. The 1200 vario screen can be made to fit the 1250 by drilling the bottom mounting holes a bit lower I used some black sealer to fill the old holes in.
The 1200 mudsling fits the 1250 OK
The 1200 Hepco and Becker pannier frame fits OK
The 1200 Evotech radiator guard fits, but because the radiator end covers are a different shape they need an 8mm spacer to make them fit correctly ( I fit a R&G radiator cover that works OK )
Sidestand foot is the same so the 1200 foot enlarger fits OK.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts