BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All I can say is, I WANT IT

"Circulating the net is this drawing of a BMW Boxer sport bike created by the German BMW aftermarket tuner/parts supplier Wunderlich. The photo coincides with speculation by the German magazine Motorrad that BMW may soon introduce a Boxer twin sport machine to go along with its ferocious inline four S1000RR, which has been a big hit on the showroom floor.

Of course, unlike the engine powering the now discontinued HP2 Sport, the current Boxer motor employs at least partial liquid cooling, meaning the 132, or so, horsepower put out by the old HP2 could conceivably reach into the mid 140s with a tuned version of the new engine. Nothing to concern Ducati, of course, but a pretty healthy output for a BMW Boxer. If the bike materializes as a 2016 model, expect to see it unveiled at one of the big shows this Fall. Stay tuned."

·
Premium Member
3,992 Posts
Looks great for sure, I must be a 'kill joy' but in my opinion it does not make sense.
A boxer motor sport bike ….. again, sure loved the look of the r1200s one sexy machine that I drooled over for some time….and of course the r1100s…(i've chosen yellow model examples to please some members who like bright and colorful ….sigh!)

2006-BMW-R1200Se.jpg

2000-BMW-R1100Sa.jpg

but a boxer motor competing with their inline 4's!!…..I know there are diehard boxer motor enthusiasts out there as on this forum, but hey if your competitive and want a race bike I'd go the BMW inline four.

Would it be its intention to replace the new 2015 r1200rs….with those ergonomics I doubt it.

What do other boxer enthusiasts think?

Spend you money on a under performing sport bike, or spend you money on something more practical.

I guess there will always being a buyer if a bike grabs someones eye, as Hoshiko mentions he would have one.

·
Super Moderator
5,018 Posts
To be competitive on the market (not the race-track) it would need to be very trick - e.g. much lighter than the RS and with lightweight carbon wheels for enhanced agility. Even the HP2 wasn't a real 'weapon' in its day, but had enough performance above the rest of the Boxer pack to be satisfying for those seeking an exclusive clubman type bike.

Looks nice, though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't think it would compete, so much as compliment. It might make a nice track day bike for those that do't really need a ton of power and have a thing for boxers. It would sell very well in Europe.

Guessing they might be able to wring 145 Hp out of the boxer, which would not really be competitive with Duc or any of the other twins on the market, but if they kept the weight down it would be a fun ride.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts