BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm picking-up my new classic tomorrow, and quite honestly, all this talk of faulty fuel strips has me paranoid!! I know how to use the trip meter, but a low fuel light, when there's plenty in the tank would really piss me off. What I have to wonder, is how many bikes out there DO NOT have any problems with this fuel strip?? I asked the dealer what a fuel strip looked like, and he wasted no time pulling a new one out of stock to show me. Well, I guess it's somewhat comforting to know, that at the very least, they stock them!!
So guy's, how many of you have never had a problem with this, and how many miles have you gone trouble-free?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Most of the bikes I have owned did not have a low fuel light or fuel gauge. I always use the trip odometer. The fuel gauge is a nice trinket, but not a necessary feature on the bike. I start looking for a gas station at around 200 miles. If I am touring I am about ready to get off and stretch by then anyway.

What concerns me more about my 2012 is the light switch throttle response a low speeds. That is the main reason I use the R12 only for touring. I have been researching the Booster Plug and everything I have read says the it mitigates the problem. I will be ordering one in the next month or two.

·
Premium Member
3,991 Posts
I'm picking-up my new classic tomorrow, and quite honestly, all this talk of faulty fuel strips has me paranoid!!
I hear yah, I don't watch T.V. news anymore, and feel much better about the world.
I belong to the f800 forum as well as I have also a BMW f800s, i was so glad i bought the bike before joining the forum, otherwise im not sure if i would have bought the bike as some people had some engine problems which were serious but some were just bagging something that was really a easy fix.
My f800 bike had rattles, but they were not life theatening just characteristic engine noises, ive clocked up 75,000kms, burns no oil, just pulled the spark plugs the other day...clean as.
Luckily for you, you have your bike coming, so you can't back out.
If the fuel strip is all people can find to complain thats amazing, as there are other ways to keep a note of your fuel consumption, as you will have two trips you can record on, or memory. Just get out there and enjoy your bike.
:drool:

·
Registered
5 Posts
The bike is superb, don't think about that minor issues.
Yesterday I read about the problem with the fuel strip and today I met it.
About 40 km. after I filled it up, I got the yellow sign, emty strip and --- on the board computer. After some resets, nothing changed. I suppose there is a mechanical problem with the lever inside the tank. I will check the subject with the dealer and will let you know.
If you have any doubts, you can open the tank cap and can look inside. That is what I did for my peace.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
I have about 3000 miles on my 2012 classic. Knock on wood, no problem with the fuel strip.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank's DrDave, that's all I was looking for. I can use the trip meter, as I said, but I thought surely SOMEONE actually had one that hadn't gone tit's-up. Maybe my new one, if I still buy it, will go 3000 miles. I've got 14 jap bikes, and 1 Triumph in the garage, and never one single warranty claim. Maybe I am just expecting too much. One thing I will do tho, if mine goes wacky, the dealer will be throwing fuel strips at that thing until the warranty is gone. I have always heard that BMW riders were the most anal of all, and expected perfection. It blow's me away everyone seems to just accept this. I guess this only means that the rest of the bike is superb!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I picked my 2008 R1200R up from the shop a few days ago. The fuel strips are no longer working and the replacement strips were quoted to be $300 installed. What utter BS. I have two trip meters and know how to use them- end of issue. I'll wait for the class action suit for the strips before I shell out that much to tell me what is obvious by setting a trip meter.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
8000 mi + on my 12 classic here
so far fuel strip function OK
At 8,000m, my Classic's fuel strip was perfect too. By 16,000 m, I needed two replacements. My strip is back to being perfect....... But, , it does seem that it's not a question of "if'" it's a question of "when!"

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, today I bit the bullet, and rode the new 13 classic home. It now sit's on about 90 miles. So far--so good. It was a great day to ride, and I'm glad to now have it in the garage. My last beemer was an r100/7. That bike cost $4500 in 1977. I'm confident this one will be better than that POS. It had porous cylinders that literally sweated oil right out between the fins. The fix at the time was to smear epoxy in the area, and pray. The threads came out with the fill plug for the final drive the first time it was removed----a heli coil was the fix for that. I guess if you own enough bikes, or anything mechanical, sooner or later you will have problems.
Reminds me of an old saying----IF IT HAS ****, OR WHEELS, IT WILL GIVE YOU PROBLEMS!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts