BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Decided to put a slightly smaller top case (takes 1 XL helmet, plus a couple of things) on the bike. Mixed review for installation. The backrest came separately, requiring drilling out the back of the top case. Good enough, they put a template in. . .. and one screw did not reach the threads in the rubber backrest. . .basta! Italian quality control. Got a thinner rubber washer which seems to have marginally let the screw set. The backrest also had a dime size bubble imperfection in the rubber facing the inside. . .sigh. .. a dollop of Lexel silicon fills that in. Givi. . .really?

Plus. . .Givi provides these U-shaped mounting tabs which are supposed to fit under the luggage rack. . .maybe a Givi luggage rack, but impossible on a BMW! Took the old mounting brackets from the 50 dollar case I had before and installed the Givi base on that. . .works fine but. .Givi . ..really?

Finally, Givi in its infinite Italian wisdom (basta!) gives you too REALLY REALLY TINY microscrews (phillips) to screw a plastic cover plate onto the base plate. I had a set of jewelers screwdrivers around which worked, but the hole for the screws was so tight I had to take a pair of pliers and manually turn the little suckers tighter. Basta!

So the case is on (see pic) it looks good. The locking mechanism seems good. The backrest may hold, but it's a sad world when a designer case is less well designed with poorer quality control than a 50 dollar Chinese case on eBay.

Attachments

Premium Member
I'd always used a Givi topbox on my previous bikes but my R12R came with a BMW 28L topbox. I managed to get the Givi plate fitted using some brackets I had laying around but really didn't like the look. I bought the large 49L BMW topbox but it's way too big.

Registered
A friend and I both have GIVI cases. If you haven't found the most maddening thing about them, I'll share.

the retaining straps from the base to the lid are just a wee bit too short, allowing the top to guillotine you when your head is in the case. They need another cm or two.
So, I found some lightweight chain, cut to an appropriate length and replaced the plastic straps/cords. Problem solved.

I don't carry my helmet in the topcase, I carry camera stuff and my laptop, so I fabbed a "shelf" of sorts to divide the case into two separate compartments, top and bottom, and got some extra elastic and a buckle to hold it. I covered the bottom of the shelf with that foam they put on hosp beds to prevent bedsores. I posted pictures a while back, but could again.
Works well. Because of the two separate compartments though, helmet storage would be impossible.

Finally, that bike looks sterile, shouldn't it be a little dirtier? I think I see the autoclave telltale strip by the gas vent hose and it did change color.

John

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #4
A friend and I both have GIVI cases. If you haven't found the most maddening thing about them, I'll share.

the retaining straps from the base to the lid are just a wee bit too short, allowing the top to guillotine you when your head is in the case. They need another cm or two.
So, I found some lightweight chain, cut to an appropriate length and replaced the plastic straps/cords. Problem solved.

Finally, that bike looks sterile, shouldn't it be a little dirtier? I think I see the autoclave telltale strip by the gas vent hose and it did change color.

John
A guillotine Givi would be an interesting niche product. I hope I never meet anyone in that niche. . . . Sterile? Yes, I just took my bike out of the nuclear irradiator and autoclave for a few days to boil off all bacteria and viruses. You could eat goulash off the valve covers and if you ride it long enough, your bones begin to glow green for some reason. . .

Registered
oh, that's right, you live "up north." Doesn't the cold kill all those nasty bugs?

70 and sunny here today, but it was cold this week. there were a couple of days when it didn't get out of the 50s!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #6
In Chicago, the viruses have adapted and now have their own union and private box at Wrigley Field.

New Orleans sounds a tad bit more temperate, Dr. S., but don't you have to scrape off the bracket fungi every morning? And what do you use for mudguards when the entire State looks like (Dilbert reference coming) Elbonia?

Registered
Dr Dave, how does that windshield set up perform.....how tall are you, and what is that addl. appendage on top......thanks.....

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #8
Psilitsky, I'm about 5'9" and the combination of the Ztek windscreen and the Wonderlich doohicky actually work pretty well to eliminate buffeting. You can adjust the extra lip to account for various heights and I'm pretty sure based on my tinkering with it and standing up on the bike going 65mph (don't ask) that it will keep a taller person out of the wind.

So basically it works and actually works pretty well. That being said, to me it has more of an annoying nerdish GoldWing aesthetic then a badass roadster look. I'd much rather have a screen that looks good AND is quiet to ride behind. So I hope all you screen hunters will keep us all posted.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #9

Registered
Thanks Dr. Dave....I just ordered one ..I have the ztechnik tinted 14", so I am curious if this will work....on the shorter screen....also, I wonder if the ztechnik screens are inter changable , i.e. once you have the mounting hardware whether you can chnge screens ....

Premium Member
Discussion Starter #11
Psilitsky, let us know how it works. I can't imagine that Ztek would design a new mount for every single screen. . .seems wasteful, but I get the feeling that these windshield guys are kind of like mad scientists, so who knows.

My ideal screen would be tall, curved and narrow, to keep the wind off my chest and head. I don't really care if my arms are buffeted. .Haven't seen anything like that for the R's

1 - 11 of 11 Posts