BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!
Come from a history of Norton cafe racers back in the sixties.
Was considering picking up an old Norton but was amazed at the prices that were being asked for these old machines.
Stopped by my local BMW dealer a few weeks ago and got hooked on the bikes. The technology and styling are very impressive.
I am looking around for a used R1200R without too many miles on it, say a 2007 or so w/ 20k miles on it, would work. Not easy to find around here.
Are there any model years that should be avoided due to quality control or whatever?
Look forward to getting a bike, and being a regular here!

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Hey Surflj.

I don't think you should be worried about the bike, this ones go for several years and few 100k miles without problems.

The hard part will be to find one, this is a pretty cool bike, not many people get rid of them and if they do, they go fast.

Good luck.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I don't know about So Cal which is where I was raised and first rode in the sixties from the coast to the Mojave on a Trumpet 500 single........ but I shopped within 1000 miles of home in NC and found at least a dozen '07-10 model to consider with similar criteria to yours. The year model and accessories or not did not seem to have major bearing on price (around here). In the end my wife said, "Why don't you get a new one?" to which I did not hesitate long. It should have the few add ons completed next week for me to pick it up.

i love the look and from limited test rides the handling.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I live in SoCal also. I looked for months to buy one before buying a 2010 11/12. They aren't very popular and not very many for sale here. That worked to my favor also. The one I bought was for sale for a few months for more than I wanted to spend. I finally looked at it, made an offer of 2K less than he wanted and after 2 weeks he took it. Keep looking.

·
Registered
11 Posts
2007 r1200r

I just picked up a used 2007 from the original owner with just a little over 7,000 miles. With the money I saved I'll be buying myself a bunch of great accessories for the bike. New Cee Bailey windshield and Wunderlich rear hugger already installed. She runs perfect! No regrets whatsoever. Former bikes include K75, R1100RT and R1200RT.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts