BMW R1200R Forum banner

New here

4K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  3730 
#1 ·
Howdy all,

I'm new here and have been lurking behind the scenes for a few days reading the various threads. Sure seems like a bunch of good folks here.

Quick summary. I've been riding for the past 12 years or so - always on cruisers. My current ride is a 2011 HD Ultra Limited. I do 99% of my riding solo - with a mix of highway/superslab and PA backroads. In the interest of full-disclosure, I should note that I'm pushing 49 and am a big guy at 5'11" and go about 260 (working on lowering that :)).

Anyway... For the past few years I've been getting the itch to try something different and my eye's been drawn to few standards and "sport tourers". I'm planning on keeping the Limited and adding a second bike so I'm not looking for a replacement. I would be looking for something different than the Limited and anticipate riding it mostly around town, in the hills, and on some longer distance day rides.

After doing some research on the web ( it's winter so I don't have anything else to do ;-) , the R12R *really* got my attention so I ended up here. I haven't made it to a dealership to check the bike out in person (yet); but, I'd be interested in thoughts regarding how the R1200R may - or may not - be a good fit for me. Anyone else switch between bikes like this? How was your experience going from cruiser ergos / riding style to standard / ST?

Anyway, I really just wanted to introduce myself and relate why a non-owner was lurking about. :) Thanks for your time and looking forward to reading more great info!

--Mike

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi,

I got my R1200R last week. I am 6.0 and 180 pounds. Been a HD rider for years and still am. Just like you i felt the itch to try something else but i already knew i wanted a BMW. I tried the 1200GS, RT, F series and they are all great bikes, but where i felt most comfortable on was the R1200R. My HD ride is a completely customized/chromed '03 Dyna Wide Glide 100 yr anniversary edition and I love it and I am keeping it. As a HD rider the major come-on for me was the seat height and price/value. The GS is way to tall and even with the seat lower still i felt like riding on a horse carriage, the RT is great but all the fairings around it add up to male it an expensive bike, and F series I figured if i am going to sped the money I might at least get the classing boxer engine. I didn't get a chance to ride the r1200 that long but from the little riding i did i noticed that compared to my Dyna, it is nimbler, a little lighter but not very light, and brakes actually work. of course the riding position is different too so less pressure on lower back (fwd controls on the HD, and more on your quads which may be more comfortable when riding long distances). Also, much faster even though i have a stage II kit on my HD with 95cuIn. i love both and plan on keeping them. hope this helps and good luck. if you decide on an r1200r there's an amazing one for sale at Second Wind BMW in NH. its an '10 with saddle bags, and I negotiated them down to 10K. they are willing to ship to NY for $300. the only reason i didnt get it was I found a similar deal locally but there's not that many around...

Hope this helps

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the info - definitely some of the feedback I was looking for. I haven't ruled anything out yet - except for some of the taller bikes like the GS etc. I wondered about the riding position. Seems like a lot of folks prefer it over the laid back cruiser posture. It'll probably be interesting trying to "find" the pegs the first few times when I do get to try one out. Everything I've ridden has forward controls or boards. Hah!

It's kind of interesting... When I started looking around I was pretty focused on ST1300, FJR, RT, etc. then I saw the r12r. Really like the clean lines and the versatility (of course all of this is just from reading since a test ride will probably have to wait 'til March now). Plus it looks relatively easy to maintain.

You reminded me... The local dealership has a white 2010 w/ the small "windscreen" (if you can call it that), bags, and only 1400 on the clock. It's listing for $11K but I'm sure he'd deal (bought a Kaw off him years ago and used to frequent them for parts and maintenance). I read that there were changes in 2011 but were there issues in previous years that should cause me to steer clear of a 2010?

Again, thanks for all the info - much appreciated!

#4 ·
Greetings! Good luck and hope you find the answers you're looking for!

Now, I'll admit my time w/ HD has been limited and somewhat sour (rude dealers/riders). But for a long time I seriously considered the '12 Nightster (still think they're badass looking bikes) and there are a few other HD's I really like. I've ridden a few and I learned to ride on my friend's Honda VTX1800 (so I do have experience w/ a cruiser style seating). My first bike is a '12 R1200R (1 mile on the odometer!), and I'm not ever going to give her up. I'm 27 5'6 and pushing 190 lbs (new years resolution is to get back into shape, wish me luck, hehe).

My understanding, and it holds true in my opinion, is that while you mostly sit on your tailbone on cruiser, an upright position (as DJ pointed out) places the strain on your quads and your legs act as extra shock absorbers. As such, for me, switching between my R1200R and my friend's VTX now is somewhat...unusual...(that said the 1800 is almost double the weight of my R1200R). R1200R makes a great around town bike because it's so light, nimble and agile, loves to be let loose on the back roads and is very confident on the highway.

Also, there's very little to worry about an older, properly maintained R1200 engine (R, RT or GS, whatever), the Boxer is pretty much as resilient as the hype says. A former police officer on this forum recounted how well the Boxer takes a beating and hardcore abuse of a motorcycle cop and yet maintains its reliability.

I really hope this helps.

#5 ·
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the welcome and the information. Definitely helps - especially since you have some experience with both styles of bikes (cruisers / standards). I confess - I *really* like the look of that boxer engine and have read a ton about how bullet-proof they are. Good to know about the older models too so thanks!

I think I'm going to head to the local dealer over the next couple of days and see if I can't take a look at the 2010 he has, and any newer models as well. The 2010 caught my interest since there aren't even 2K miles on it yet. Cripes that's barely broken in! Never understood why people do that - buy 'em, don't ride and sell or trade. Interesting...

Anyway, thanks again for the info. Much appreciated!!

#6 ·
I just bought an '09 R1200R with less than 4,000 km on it [about 2,500 miles for you metrically-challenged Yanks ... ;) ] from a dealer friend of mine. It's the first BMW I've owned, but I've raced them, toured on them, and taught high-performance riding schools on them for years.

In my experience your reliability concerns with a 2010 model are zero or less. And I think you'll find it's about as good an all-rounder as you'll ever find. That's why I bought mine [ and am spending the winter buying stuff to put on it, great fun so far! ].

Maybe I'll see you on a Pennsylvania road one day; I love riding down that way when I get the chance [ I'm a day's ride from PA across the border north of Syracuse ].

#7 ·
Hey Meturner222222222222

Welcome to the forum, I don't think you should worry about buying a 2010.

Here some information I found you might find interesting. every 2011+ R1200R comes with the upgraded new radial four-valve cylinder heads with chain-driven, double overhead cams and two spark plugs apiece, larger valves as well as new pistons and 50mm throttle bodies vs. the former 47s boost power to a claimed 110 horsepower and 88 lb-ft of torque at the crankshaft. That’s an improvement of 3-5 percent over the former single-cam, pushrod head design. Redline is upped to 8,500 rpm from 8,000, with the same compression ratio of 12.0:1 and 1,170cc displacement. BMW has also added a servo-controlled valve to the 2-into-1 exhaust just aft of the catcon and forward of the muffler aka the water boiler. (which is horribly large). In addition to broadening the powerband, the valve gives the bike a great ripping growl under throttle unique, without making the exhaust too loud at sustained high speeds (as on 2010- boxers).

The only advise I can give you, is to bring your check book to the test ride :001_tt2:

#8 ·
Larry and Hoshiko - Thanks for all of the great info. I'm hoping to stop by the local dealer over the next few days and take a look at these fine machines in person - including the barely used 2010. Won't be able to test ride quite yet though since we recently got dumped on here in central PA (about a foot of snow where I'm at, and more on the way). That's probably best for my checkbook though. ;-)

Still, I'm looking forward to visiting the dealer and at least sitting on a few bikes to see how they "fit."

Anyway, I really appreciate the technical / reliability info. That will certainly help me make a decision over the next couple months. In the meantime, I'll be reading as much as possible on this forum and generally lurking about. ;-)

#9 · (Edited)
WELCOME!

I'm 6'0" and about 190. Never owned a HD, but rode lots of them and "babysat" one for a friend. I put 100k+ miles on my VTX 1800R before it was ripped out of my hands by someone making an "improper left turn" (according to the citation they got). Anyway, loved riding the HD's and REALLY loved my VTX... rode it to work every day for years and made four trips to the Mountains from Florida on it. But every time I got home from the mountains I'd go shopping for a sport tourer. Just felt like I didn't want to sling 850lbs around in the twisties anymore. I can advise you not to give up on twins. I tried various "sport" oriented bikes and they all left me cold. The boxer, like the HD, has some "soul" in that engine.

Reliability of the engine on BMW's is legendary (in the minds of its owners.) My VTX never went to the shop except for tires in its 100k, 9 year lifespan. BMW has known issues with electronics, clutches, ABS, final drives, and basically everything BUT the engine. Rumor has it that the gearbox and wet clutch on the 2013 R1200GS water cooled version is supplied by... wait for it.... HONDA! that should take care of any clutch issues. I'm sure the water cooled and wet clutch R1200R model is not far behind.

Anyway, all that said, I really LOVE the R1200R, too. Took a while to accustom myslef to the difference in riding position and the aforementioned loss of weight, but it was a happy adaptation period! The VTX was set up to tour. Bags, shield, forward pegs, etc. But it was no more comfortable on the slab than the 1200R with a tall shield, engine guards and forward pegs. Yes, you can make this thing adapt to YOU as well!

Anyway, I ramble.

Have fun with whatever you choose and ride safe!

Bob

#10 ·
Hey Bob - I really appreciate all the info and your perspective coming off cruisers. I think you nailed it in something you said above. As my bikes got heavier and heavier, I've moved more and more into highway / interstate riding (and less and less backroad / twisties). Not that I can't push my Glide around the mountain roads, I can and do; but, that's just not the sweet-spot for that bike. The Glide is a big, heavy bike, and though I don't have any trouble with it, I'm hankering for something lighter and more "flickable" to complement it.

As for some bikes leaving you feeling "cold"... I get that. Whatever I end up with has to call to me. And the clean lines of the R12R and that boxer engine are very appealing to me. :) There aren't many other bikes like this IMO - and I've been looking.

Anyway, thanks again for all the good info / feedback. Great group of folks here!

--Mike

#11 ·
Figured I'd post a quick update. Yesterday I put a deposit on a 2010 R12R, white, w/ hard bags, and the small (sport?) wind screen. The bike has only 1400 miles on it and looks to be in great condition. Bought it from a dealer I've got bikes from in the past and patronize somewhat frequently.

Anyway, since it'll be winter for a while longer here in Pennsylvania, I won't pick it up 'til mid / late March. Until then I'll be lurking about here, reading what I can and dreaming of some wonderful spring rides.

--Mike

#13 ·
Thanks! Really looking forward to spring!! ;-)

Yeah, I saw some folks with that shield (ztechnik) and really like the looks of it - and their engine guards. I think those will be the first mods I make. Then a tailbag, then... :)

Seems like this bike will be a lot like my Harley... they say you don't by a HD, you buy a 'starter kit.' :)

#14 ·
Excellent choice, you won't regret it. Having 2 completely different bikes is a good idea, when you feel like a relaxed cruise on a sunny Sunday you use the Harley but when you feel like having more 'fun' you have the R12. Best of both worlds.

#15 ·
Thanks Dave. It's gonna be hard waiting for spring now that's for sure!

You're right - best of both worlds. I really enjoy my Harley and plan on keeping it for a long time; but, I've been saving up and wanting to do something like this for years. Most folks don't get it (the desire for more than one scoot). I just love bikes and riding - all kinds. I don't care if it's a Harley, a metric cruiser, cafe bike, custom chopper, sport, sport-tourer, vintage... I'd have one of each if I could! (I'll bet most of us are like that).

Anyway, after researching this model for a while, I was smitten; and, I'm sure it's gonna be even better after the R12R and I have a few miles to get properly acquainted. ;-) Sooo looking forward to it.

That said, I told a guy at the dealership, I haven't ridden anything with midset controls since beating the heck out of my older brother's Yamaha 400 Enduro back in High School (which was...a while ago). Plus I haven't used my toe to upshift in probably ten years (current and previous bikes have/had heel-toe shifters). LOL! I'm pretty sure I'm gonna bang my shins on those jugs a few times before I remember where the pegs are. ;-)

Best regards,

--Mike

#16 ·
I've had a number of Boxers and you do get used to the engine, but do still manage the occasional bump!!! I've normally got at least 2 bikes in the garage at any one time and each have their strengths and weaknesses. I use my main bike, my R12, most of the time but have an old K75s for bad weather. If I had the space I'd probably get another F800, as I loved the bike and if I lived in the US I'd probably have a Harley as well. The XR1200 is quite good looking.

#17 ·
Sounds like you have a nice stable. ;-) I agree about the XR1200X - nice bike. I don't know why Harley stopped production on that model here in the U.S. Anyway, my local dealer had a used one; but, they sold it this past Fall. I was checking it out last year; but, wasn't ready to buy then. When I started looking again recently it was gone (although, I'd probably still have gone with the Boxer even if it were available now). So many bikes, so little money... ;-)

#18 ·
No issues

Hey Guys,

For those of you wanting to make the shift from cruiser to a R1200R, I can't recommend it enough.

I owned and put 35,000km on my Softail Standard over the last three years.

When I went to test ride the R last week, I didn't have one second or moment of indecision during my 1.5 hour test ride.

Just an awesome machine that is so forgiving, I reckon I could fall asleep on it hahaha, seriously though, you won't regret the move to buy a R1200R in my opinion.

Brakes......oh my god, this thing redefines effective braking.....

All the best whatever you choose

Luke

#19 ·
Saw you put a deposit down, so congrats.

I'm 6'0 and about 245, i switched from a 2010 Triumph Thunderbird 1600 (about 750lbs wet) to an 11 R1200R and immediately fell in love. I would talk with the maintenance shop at the dealer and have them adjust the shocks and dampener settings for your height and weight. When I bought mine, the original owner had no adjustment, so the bike was very compressed and was borderline uncomfortable in terms of peg position. At the next service, I talked with the guys, we adjusted the shocks and dampener, and it was a whole other bike.

The great thing about the 1200R is that it *Wants* to be ridden hard and put to its paces. If you keep both bikes you will have the best of both cruiser and roadster worlds

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.