BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G’day from a new member from near Brisbane, in Queensland, Australia’s Sunshine State – where – bordered by the South Pacific - it’s “beautiful one day, perfect the next”.

Just sold my GS1200, and bought a new mid-blue '013 R1200R with all the acronyms, collecting it next week. This will be my third, alternating with GS models - somehow I keep going round in circles! I'm getting on now (in my 74th year) and with decreasing flexibility of limbs and back finding it increasingly tricky to get on and off the tall GS easily, so it's back to the Roadster for much easier mounting and demounting – and pretty much identical performance.

I was very interested in the new F800GT, but on a test-ride found it a bit underwhelming, so back to what I know best…

First tasks will be to find a slightly larger screen to replace the OEM sports screen (which is the size of a thumb-nail, and about as useful!), but not a full touring version just yet: fit a rad guard: and find a small, neat tail-bag. Any thoughts, please guys? I'm happy to buy on-line if recommended.

My pleasure is distance touring, so I hope to get right into it with a 4200km ride to and from Melbourne as soon as I have the first 1000km service done, before Easter, I hope.

I’m looking forward to taking part in this Forum…

Lawrence of Suburbia (or L of S).

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Lawrence of Suburbia , that's a unique handle. Australia's Sunshine State? Sounds like Florida. Pleasure to have you on the Forum with us. Hope the new assortment of acronyms is to your liking, and the Melbourne trip is trouble free. Pictures please. I'm satisfied with the Z-Technik screen, as are many others, but CeeBaileys, CalSci, etc. all make good products. Hope you find what suits your needs & works for you.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Lawrence. speaking as a former GS owner, I fully understand your reasons for switching to an "R". My dealer loaned me an R1200R a few times while my GS was getting serviced, and I was always pleasantly surprised at how much easier and lighter it felt compared to the GS.

Right now I have both a 2012 R1200R and a 2013 K1600GT in my garage. The R is officially for my wife, but I ride it often, and have frequently thought that whenever the day comes that the K16 feels like too much of a handful, I'll get a 1200R for myself.

Our R has a Z-technic sport touring screen on it. It's very well made and does quite a good job of keeping the wind off your body. It also reduces wind on your hands surprisingly well, although there is of course more wind on the hands than on your GS with hand guards. If I was going to take an extended trip on that bike I would probably get the taller Z-technic touring screen, to keep rain off my upper body, but it would be too tall for my wife, so the sport-touring screen stays on the R for now.

Yesterday it was around 38 degrees (F) here in New York. I rode the R for a couple of hours and the windshield, along with my heated clothing kept me quite comfortable. Enjoy your new bike.

·
Premium Member
2,057 Posts
Hi L of S

A screen that blends with the lines of the bike is very important. Some of the larger touring screens look like barn doors, but you're right the small sport screen is small. I'll be trying a few different screens in the summer.

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi L of S

A screen that blends with the lines of the bike is very important.

Thanks for the kind words, guys, welcome, thoughts, and suggestions. I've now got on order a medium-height touring screen, about 3" taller than the OE thing and a bit wider across the base. It's coming in a light blue tint which should nicely complement the Montego Blue paintwork. Will report the outcome. Cost is AUD$180 including mailing to me from Western Australia.

After two weeks of ownership I've only put another 40km on the bike since collecting it due to heavy, incessant, and unseasonal monsoonal rains here on the east coast - and forecast to continue for some time well into next week, with the added zest of a likely cyclone in the offing next week. Should've bought a submarine...!

L of S

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
[/SIZE]

Thanks for the kind words, guys, welcome, thoughts, and suggestions. I've now got on order a medium-height touring screen, about 3" taller than the OE thing and a bit wider across the base. It's coming in a light blue tint which should nicely complement the Montego Blue paintwork. Will report the outcome. Cost is AUD$180 including mailing to me from Western Australia.

After two weeks of ownership I've only put another 40km on the bike since collecting it due to heavy, incessant, and unseasonal monsoonal rains here on the east coast - and forecast to continue for some time well into next week, with the added zest of a likely cyclone in the offing next week. Should've bought a submarine...!

L of S
I don't know if I'm going blind or just had a stroke...

Welcome to the forum

1 - 7 of 7 Posts