BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
R1200R LC 2017
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
After reading this forum for about two years now, I thought it is time to registrate and introduce myself.
I live in The Netherlands, and I am riding motorbikes for almost 38 years now.
I stopped counting, but I have owned over 40 bikes including off-road and race-bikes.
November 2018 I bought my 10th BMW, a 2017 R1200R, which I still have and which I plan to keep for many years to come! This bike gives me all I expect for a motorbike!

During the last two years I did make some changes to make the bike even better then how it left the factory (at least to my idea 馃槈
So I have mounted a bit wider and higher steer from Wunderlich, replaced the stock seat for a Wunderlich one, mounted a mudguard, replaced the footsteps, replaced the stock rear-shock for a Wilbers suspension, replaced the fork cartridges for Andreani cartridges, and last project I did this winter was to replace the stock headlight for a round LED light.

Winter is ending now in The Netherlands, so if it all goes better with the Covid19, I hope I can make many kilometers on the bike this season 馃檪
IMG_3848.JPG
IMG_3849.JPG

Registered
Nice bike!
Did you have any trouble with the headlight replacement? What headlight and brackets did you use?

Mark 鈥 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
Did you have any trouble with the headlight replacement? What headlight and brackets did you use?
Welcome Erwin - nice touches to make the bike your own, noting you鈥檒l have a lot of fans (and questions) about the headlight. 馃槃

Registered
Nice looking bike. Welcome to membership!
The headlight certainly makes your bike stand out, I've never been a huge fan of the stock one, but I'm too cheap to change it.

What is the little cowl in front of the instruments, Erwin?

Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
Welcome to the forum Erwin. (y)

Premium Member
Greetings and welcome to the forum. Some very nice upgrades.

Registered
R1200R LC 2017
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the positive reactions :)
The headlight is from the German company called Highsider (company belongs to Wunderlich), and it's called "7 inch LED main headlight FRAME-R1 type 3".
It is a headlight without backside so the LED is cooling well. The ring around the headlight is a CNC-milled aluminium one.
For the mounting I simply used the Wunderlich Vario Adapters EVO 1, which I still had from my previous owned K1600GT footrests. With these I simply enlarged the original headlight brackets.
The cowl above the headlight is the original BMW bracket for the sportscreen. The little spoiler is what is left of the original sportscreen. I have cut it down more and more untill I had it as quit as without windscreen.
Also on the bottom I have cut it, so the original bracket is visible.
As it is now, it is as effective as the original Pure-spoiler, so it takes away the wind pressure from the body without causing extra noise.

Registered
R1200R LC 2017
Discussion Starter #9
The mounting of the headlight was the easy part, connecting it without causing the CANBUS error was a bigger challenge. First I calculated which resistors were needed in order to settle the current difference. But these small resistors became very hot. So I simply tried to mount as big as possible resistors that still solved the CANBUS errors. I ended up with the attached electrical diagram.
I have mounted the resistors on a aluminium plate that I bent according the radius of the headlight, so with this I don't only cool the resistors but I also filled the cap behind the headlight. I have ridden the bike with this headlight for a couple of hours, and it works perfect and the resistors only become hand-warm :)

Registered
Thank your for sharing, it seems like a lot of work but the result is worth it.

Registered
Welcome to the forum, Erwin.

And like everyone here who has "mixed feelings" about the OEM headlight.... I love your remedy! Thanks for sharing your engineering work with us!
I just got a new soldering kit, so,,,,

Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
I like the light Erwin, what sort of money are they?

Dave in NE TN
Welcome to the Forum Erwin! Great bike and mods, your sweet headlight has lots of people here very intrigued ! 馃

Cheers! Dave

Registered
R1200R LC 2017
Discussion Starter #17
I like the light Erwin, what sort of money are they?
The one I have with the aluminium mounting ring costs 299,95 Euro, the mounting brackets I have used are about 50 Euro.
It has a E-approval but they mention "Asymmetrical use, approved for right-hand traffic only" on their webshop.
I'm not sure, but perhaps the right-hand traffic has only to do with the type E-approval?
I haven't ridden the bike in the dark yet, but I made a picture in the garage with the light on, seems to me there is nothing asymemetrical about it?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts