BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone im new to the forum , i live in the overseas uk territory of Gibraltar and i am looking to buy a new r1200r. I currently own a 91 r100rs with just 2700 miles which i bought last year but havent ridden it yet as i keep it in the uk,and a 2012 yamaha XJ6N but i have always liked the r1200r range. However i was disappointed to see the choice of colours on offer, namely blue,beige or grey/white, then there is the classic only available in black with the white stripe and the 90th anniversary in all black. Im considering going for either the grey/white standard model OR the Classic as i particularly like the non black cylinder head and grey coloured frame and shaftdrive of the classic, however i would change the wheels for silver/metal coloured alloy rims as i prefer these to the wires, it would mean that i could also have the tyre press control and no tubes in the tyres. Also i would change the exhaust for a non chrome akrapovic and fit a black and white Wunderlich trophy fairing...and a puig hugger, However before i can do any of this i have to find both a classic and standard grey/white bike to compare, not easy in southern spain.. Hope my wheel changes are possible as BMW seem to be quite difficult in making changes what you see is what you get. Unlike many premium car manufactures. Has anyone made these changes or some changes ? great forum , Rob

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
RobGMF, Welcome! There are enough aftermarket choices so you could change either bike to look like something different. There is no real physical difference in the main components between the Classic and the standard, so if you ride one, you'll know how the other feels. Most of us think that BMW's paint department should be fired for introducing us to colors like Invisablue, Desk Accessory Tan, and Shipbottom Grey. . .but you could always have the bike repainted. Check Hoshiko's exhaust (well, his bike's exhaust anyway) on various pictures, and Classic has rerouted his can (well, his bike's) under the seat. Good luck in your search! Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks drDave, Yes im sure they all ride the same but i really wanted to see the bikes side by side if you know what i mean , Then there is the question of seats.. my local garage wasnt aware that bmw offered so many variations.. im 6ft2 long legged so i guess i will be going for standard comfort or possibly high comfort.. I will check out the exhaust you mentioned, the nearest dealer with a 1200r is about 1hr20min away, i will probably visit it after xmas,Always loved bmws since seeing an 100rs in the early 80s which is why i bought my low mileage RS this year not last year

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
Very cool. You'd probably be fine with the tallest seat. You'll be pretty pleased with the advancements in BMW's boxer when you try it. Let us know!

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Hey Rob, welcome to the forum.
I visited Tarifa long time ago, I remember I really like the little town and though that Africa wasn't that far.

I personally like my bike's shipbottom gray, but hatted the exhaust, and that is why I changed it.

I'm sure if you are willing to wait, you'll be able to order exactly what you want, call that dealer, tell him what you want and how much you want to pay, if he doesn't like that, call around and get it shipped.

BTW, check this link. http://www.r1200rforum.com/forum/bmw-r1200r-general-discussions-7/bmw-seat-types-1162/

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks very much Hoshiko, i can see Morocco and spain from my apartment , the crossing to Morocco is only about 30 mins by high speed ferry... luckily im in no rush so will take my time , maybe i can see all the 1200Rs on offer at a show in the new year.. thanks for the seat link ..The question is not If i will get a 1200r its only when

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Greetings

you won't be disappointed with the 12R. Colour is always a very personal choice but BMW seems to have played it safe with this model. A few years ago I had a bright yellow F800s and it looked excellent. I'm sure the overall looks and performance will greatly outweigh the lack of imagination in colour choice. If you prefer the cast wheels stick to the standard 12R and do whatever upgrades you want to that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys i will be going to the London Motorcycle show in February, where i hope to see the r1200r range , then i will place an order

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
If you're coming over in Feb you could always arrange some test rides. I'm not sure about BMW in Park Lane up in town but BMW in Tunbridge Wells has one as a demo.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Dave, im looking forward to my trip , wont be too long to wait, will let you guys know how i get on

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi everyone, finally i found my new R1200R, though the experience with my Spanish BMW dealer has left me surprised and disappointed. It seemed to take for ever for the panniers ,alarm and Akrapovic exhaust to arrive from Germany to the dealer, and it took even longer for my bike to be fitted with the correct seat, as they had initially ordered the incorrect low seat,and for the paperwork to arrive .On taking delivery i noticed that the fuel guage light stayed on constantly and was told that it was a fault that they will fix on my 1000km first service.. i guess im supposed to estimate how much fuel is in my tank.And im still not sure if i actually have a tyre pressure guage as i cant see the readings. Other than that what a bike ! as its my first BMW i have ridden im just getting used to the vibration felt .after my previous bike was a Yamaha XJ600. But i have to say the handling is simply superb.. i have fitted the Wunderlich fairing ,screaming babshee horns and fog lights..Now all i need to know is how can i post pictures as mine all about 3MB

·
Premium Member
862 Posts
Hi everyone, finally i found my new R1200R, though the experience with my Spanish BMW dealer has left me surprised and disappointed. It seemed to take for ever for the panniers ,alarm and Akrapovic exhaust to arrive from Germany to the dealer, and it took even longer for my bike to be fitted with the correct seat, as they had initially ordered the incorrect low seat,and for the paperwork to arrive .On taking delivery i noticed that the fuel guage light stayed on constantly and was told that it was a fault that they will fix on my 1000km first service.. i guess im supposed to estimate how much fuel is in my tank.And im still not sure if i actually have a tyre pressure guage as i cant see the readings. Other than that what a bike ! as its my first BMW i have ridden im just getting used to the vibration felt .after my previous bike was a Yamaha XJ600. But i have to say the handling is simply superb.. i have fitted the Wunderlich fairing ,screaming babshee horns and fog lights..Now all i need to know is how can i post pictures as mine all about 3MB
The delays are probably because you're from Gib lol :)

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Rob, congratulations on getting your bike. Upload photos to photobucket then copy and paste the

1 - 15 of 15 Posts